Anybody Else Regret Buying Their Vfr1200?

Guest RWR

Alaskan,

I not trying to i nsult anyone here by any means.There is no doubt I rolled the dice on this one. I love the looks of the bike and I expected that the ABS would be a non-issue as well as the linked brakes. The ABS is a low level system that can hurt you more than help you.The on or off effect of the ABS has often left me deeper in a corner with more speed than I would like by simply hitting a small patch of sand the size of a pie plate but letting go of the brakes for 15ft. than coming back.It's a slow and abrupt system that doesn't benefit an experienced rider.Just my opinion. I just like to have complete control of the motorcycle wether it be brakes or throttle or anything else.You don't see abs on offroad bikes do you ? Hard braking is gonna compromise traction I just don't like the bike deciding when to modulate brakes when it can't do it as well as I can.

One last thing.I have never owned a VFR so I came in to this blind. I'm not looking to debate why or why not this bike is great.I'm not looking for advise on how to off it or wether my mods are good or bad .I just was wondering if anyone felt the same as me. It's a bike that doesn't fit the bill for me .I'm glad most of you guys love your bike.I wish I could say the same believe me.That being said .I wish all a Happy holiday,Merry x-mas and a properous New Year.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the abs degraded over the 800? The 800 ABS has been very decent, I know if Im hard stoppping on a very slick road, the abs gives alot of freelance in adjustment that I wouldnt trust as much manually. Meaning by the time you break traction, release and reapply the abs did it in less that one second. I doubt anyone is that quick maually.

But the VFR is the only abs system Ive ever been okay with, all cars and trucks most of them have sucked with weak brakes as a result of abs.

Have you tried just to block the abs sensors and see how the brakes work? Im thinking of trying that on my Truck atleast the fuse, cause that abs really sucks

These guys on the forum can try to justify their purchases all they want, but there are always used VFR1200 for sale.

there are always used everything for sale.

Haven't regretted my 1200 for a minute. I only regret that it's minus 20 and a foot of snow on the ground right now and I can't wheel it out of the garage for a spin.

These guys on the forum can try to justify their purchases all they want, but there are always used VFR1200 for sale.

there are always used everything for sale.

Haven't regretted my 1200 for a minute. I only regret that it's minus 20 and a foot of snow on the ground right now and I can't wheel it out of the garage for a spin.

So you fit in the justify you purchase catagory...

There is never going to be one bike which fits all riders. This is the same for tires, motor oil, chains, fuel, seats, grips, gear, boots, helmets, tampons...

We are all differnet with different wants, needs and hopes.

Glad that you like your bike.

Alaskan,

I not trying to i nsult anyone here by any means.There is no doubt I rolled the dice on this one. I love the looks of the bike and I expected that the ABS would be a non-issue as well as the linked brakes. The ABS is a low level system that can hurt you more than help you.The on or off effect of the ABS has often left me deeper in a corner with more speed than I would like by simply hitting a small patch of sand the size of a pie plate but letting go of the brakes for 15ft. than coming back.It's a slow and abrupt system that doesn't benefit an experienced rider.Just my opinion. I just like to have complete control of the motorcycle wether it be brakes or throttle or anything else.You don't see abs on offroad bikes do you ? Hard braking is gonna compromise traction I just don't like the bike deciding when to modulate brakes when it can't do it as well as I can.

One last thing.I have never owned a VFR so I came in to this blind. I'm not looking to debate why or why not this bike is great.I'm not looking for advise on how to off it or wether my mods are good or bad .I just was wondering if anyone felt the same as me. It's a bike that doesn't fit the bill for me .I'm glad most of you guys love your bike.I wish I could say the same believe me.That being said .I wish all a Happy holiday,Merry x-mas and a properous New Year.

No problem, my friend. I am not a VFR1200 owner and do not have any emotional - or financial - investment in the bike. I was just curious what your issues were with the ride. You did not step on my toes at all! Merry Christmas, amigo!

Ooohhh for a 6th gen body with a 1000 CC (or more) gear driven engine. I can just dream.

You know, I totally agree with this. That would be the perfect package. I would also lose the linked brakes.

IG

I little more HP would be cool. My 6th G makes around 100 HP on the dyno. A 20 percent boost would be awesome!

The linked brakes don't bother me. I don''t even notice the linked-brakes effect. Except going down a steep gravel road is dicey with linked brakes . . .

I waited almost two yrs before buying a barely used '10 VFR1200. I suppose I should thank those who do regret buying theirs for the steady supply of low-mileage VFR1200 - amazing given how few of them were sold in the first place. Two dealers in town still have brand new '10 sitting on their floor.

It is a legitimate question to ask, considering Honda's misteps. Personally, I can't really "regret" it because I knew every las one of VFR1200's issues. Test rode both the manual and DCT versions, extensively. Is it perfect? Hardly. Then again, niether are the other 8 bikes I bought in the past 2 yrs.

120 mile range? I need pee breaks anyway. 1st and 2nd power restriction? Doesn't bother me much the way I ride the VFR. I've got other bikes for that sort of shenanigance anyway. :rolleyes: OEM bags too small and cost too much? Givi E55 and V35's will fix that right up. Ergo problems? I find it just the right balance between the litre sport bikes I had, and the C14 that's a bit too upright. It all depends on the rider. ABS issues? Heck, if ABS engages often enough on the street to bother me, I probably should rethink the way I ride on public roads. To me, braking that hard on a regular basis is what Track Days are for. I have a track bike, and the VFR ain't it.

That said, when a bike no longer quickens my pulse when I swing a leg over, then it's time to move on. No analysis necessary.

Of course she has some flaws - not enough power, a bit heavy, restricted top speed, restricted 1st & 2nd gear, small tank, CBS.

But she has her strengths as well - DCT, ABS (stupid to think you would brake better without), TBW, Shaft, sporty (much more agile in the twisties than a ZZR 1400 for example) but comfy (much more than any superbike), superb brakes, beautiful design, fun engine chracteristics etc.

All in all it's the most perfect bike on the market (for me and if you don't cripple it with higher handlebars) so why should I regret having bought the best I can get.

Ooohhh for a 6th gen body with a 1000 CC (or more) gear driven engine. I can just dream.

When pigs fly........Honda never gives its customers what they really want........Personally, they stopped doing so for me after they built my 4th gen......and my Hawk GT 650...

Beck

95 VFR

I love my 1200. Had the 6th Gen and went up to the 2012 model 1200. TBW is no issue for me and feels more responsive than my 800 ever did. Traction control is great and can be turned on/off when needed if you want to burn out a rear tyre. ABS. Cant say I have ever felt it kick in yet and have done some pretty hard braking. The 1200 brakes are much better then my 800 ever was. If I see sand or whatever on the road in front of me I let the brakes go anyway and then re-apply after. Never trust anything to do something I can do myself but nice to know it is there if it is needed on those slippery tarry spots.

Simply love the torgue of the machine. It just pulls and pulls right through. 1st and 2nd gear not so much of an issue on the 2012 model. Still a bit lacking low down but I am not a drag racer so don't need that much power off the line.

lets face it, if Honda had produced a simple motorized 6 speed (vfr 1000) with hydraulic valved GP motor, race level suspension, and adjusted for ammenities and comfort.

90 % of everyone would be Drooling like CRAZY, and trying to buy!

Honda is just too BIG for their Bitches, and why their bikes sit for years on the showroom Unbought.

lets face it, if Honda had produced a simple motorized 6 speed (vfr 1000) with hydraulic valved GP motor, race level suspension, and adjusted for ammenities and comfort.

Honda is just too BIG for their Bitches, and why their bikes sit for years on the showroom Unbought.

Hydraulic valved ????

Sounds like some kind of Homer Simpson mobile :laughing6-hehe:

I think, of late, Honda has been trying a little harder, losing a bit of their traditional arrogance. Their cars are looking more nicely styled, (on the outside), and on the bike side they're delivering more mainstream-type machines to the marketplace like the new 500's and the CB1100--very conventional machines that should appeal to riders in their segments, (-as opposed to past efforts like the DN01 which didn't appeal to anyone).

For many years, Honda sportbike riders have been asking for a V4 sucessor to the Fireblade, and if the latest rumours are true it might even happen this time... which is positive news. Maybe Honda is finally starting to acknowledge the desires of their customers ...?

My one regret so far is the cage that turned left into my path. It totaled my bike. I prided myself on being on constant alert for just shenanigans. My vigilence was not rewarded. Actually it was in the myriad of accidents I did avoid. My next bike will be a vfr12. This time I will forgo the helibars, and possibly get a different seat. However the seat is supposed to be improved on the 2012. This bike like every other bike out there is not perfect for everyone or perhaps anyone. But it is the bike I want.

I appreciate the riding impressions. I would really like to ride one, but unlike Ducati dealers, Honda dealers NEVER allow test rides.

I appreciate the riding impressions. I would really like to ride one, but unlike Ducati dealers, Honda dealers NEVER allow test rides.

I guess it depends on the dealer.

I got to ride the first VFR1200 in the Greater Toronto Area back in 2010. But, it was designated a demo-bike by the dealer, (he demo's 1 bike/year), and I had bought my 1000RR from him. I was given the keys and sent on my way---which is the best way to test ride a bike! I hate doing those traditional group demo rides...which most of the manufacturers do around here.

The Honda dealers I know will give you the keys to a demo on Friday and as you to have it back before closing Monday with a bit of gas left in it.

I think, of late, Honda has been trying a little harder, losing a bit of their traditional arrogance. Their cars are looking more nicely styled, (on the outside), and on the bike side they're delivering more mainstream-type machines to the marketplace like the new 500's and the CB1100--very conventional machines that should appeal to riders in their segments, (-as opposed to past efforts like the DN01 which didn't appeal to anyone).

For many years, Honda sportbike riders have been asking for a V4 sucessor to the Fireblade, and if the latest rumours are true it might even happen this time... which is positive news. Maybe Honda is finally starting to acknowledge the desires of their customers ...?

true. Although Honda came up with wild things like the DN01 precisely because they were criticized for being too bland with their offerings. Now they are applauded for going back to giving us what they've always given us.

I too would love to see Honda go back to their V4 roots. Expand the line-up to include everything from pure sportbikes to tourers, to power cruisers - like the glory days back in the 80s. I wouldn't mind parking a new interpretation of the old Magna right next to the VFR.

• Member Contributer
Honda dealers NEVER allow test rides.

Depends on the dealer and also depends on the sales person's impression of the person requesting the test ride.

My test ride of my VFR had three conditions. Helmet required and either bring it back when I was done with it or stop in and pay for it.

true. Although Honda came up with wild things like the DN01 precisely because they were criticized for being too bland with their offerings. Now they are applauded for going back to giving us what they've always given us.

Actually, it's worse than that. I believe that Honda made the DN01 just because they wanted to. Their attitude being one of superiority--"We are Honda--we know best." With their new 500, Honda is basically resorting to regurgitating an existing bike: the EX500---a bike that Kawasaki had been making for 20+ years. They've admitted defeat and are making whatever they think will sell units--"safe bets."

Making a new fleet of V-4s would be cool for sure, but I'm sure their bean counters wouldn't let that happen, IMO. The last really cool bike they made was the RC51.

Actually, it's worse than that. I believe that Honda made the DN01 just because they wanted to. Their attitude being one of superiority--"We are Honda--we know best." With their new 500, Honda is basically resorting to regurgitating an existing bike: the EX500---a bike that Kawasaki had been making for 20+ years. They've admitted defeat and are making whatever they think will sell units--"safe bets."

Making a new fleet of V-4s would be cool for sure, but I'm sure their bean counters wouldn't let that happen, IMO. The last really cool bike they made was the RC51.

That arrogance can work both ways though. VFR1200F/FD is another product of that sense of engineering superiority. Honda must know the target demographic for Viffer Grande was small, so it was never gonna be a big seller. They built it to be the Halo Bike of their lineup, to showcase their engineering prowess, and to pave forward more accetability for more main stream bikes like the NC700X with the same DCT tecnology.

As a VFR1200 enthusiast, I am grateful for them having enough cojones to build such a beast. In other cases like the DN01, uhh... not so much.

"Anybody else regret buying their VFR1200?"

NOPE.

Oh, let me re-phrase that. Heck nope!

I'm not justifying anything. I like my motorcycle.....a lot. If you don't like it, don't buy one. If you bought one and found out you don't like it. Sell it. However, to explain to me that the only reason I like my bike is to "justify" my purchase kinda makes you an asshole. I'm just sayin'.

Archived