Size Does Matter.... Does The Brand?

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Looking at a bike cover for my 4th gen

Outside use, sun and rain, hot and cold...

Looking at Revzilla I see

Dowco

or Nelson Rigg

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-covers

Any 4th gen owners care to tell me what size is best for the 4th gen and if you have a preference over either brand?

• Member Contributer

Think I have a NR in medium. Don't see anything that looks like the available models though. Waterproof and has bungees spaced along the bottom to keep it from flapping around as much. Really snug fit. Luggage won't fit under it.

• Member Contributer

Dutchy,

You've had that bike forever. What have you been using all these years? Did she get kicked out of storage space?

I bought both Dowco and Nelson Rigg in the past. In the end, I'd just stay with the cheapest versions of the Nelson Rigg (Woven, light, water repellant, easy on the paint, nylon fabric with air vents). The are so cheap that they are easy to replace every three years (typically) after the California sun and hot weather had faded the out and start to weaken the fabric, plus, you can easily take them with you when you ride as they are so light and packs small.

I treated myself and my bike some years ago with a nice heavy, water repellant canvas cover with special reflective lower hot panels from Dowco,......... but was thoroughly disappointed when some stitching started to unravel and a major seam at the back busted open big time after just about a year of use.........Should have just bought the cheap NR cover back then.....I could have bought four or five of the nylon NR covers for the price of that Dowco cover.

JMOs

Beck

95 VFR

Dutchy,

You've had that bike forever. What have you been using all these years? Did she get kicked out of storage space?

IIRC, Dutchy always parked his 4th gen outside his residence with a big lock and chain and a ground anchor.......

• Member Contributer

cheers guys. my current cover is nearing the end.... and since i will order some thing from revzilla might as well order a cover.

so far my bike would spend winter in the gardenshed, but it gets cramped now with another full sized bicycle as our son gets older..

so the nr deluxe fits a 4th gen [with mirror extenders]?

I have vowed to never buy another product from Nelso Rigg ever again. I protest crap with my wallet and when I am screwed. I NEVER go back. so far the list is:

Nelson Rigg

Fog City

Chevy Chase Bank

Delta Airlines

I think NRs come in two sizes for full sized bikes...."regular" (which I think they call small) or "touring"(Large). The regular size should fit OK on the 4th gen. You don;t want it too big anyway as the wind can catch and flap it around and abrade the paint on the fairings after a while.

Chombi

I have vowed to never buy another product from Nelso Rigg ever again. I protest crap with my wallet and when I am screwed. I NEVER go back. so far the list is:

Nelson Rigg

Fog City

Chevy Chase Bank

Delta Airlines

Uhmmmm....I guess NR covers do not come in flat black?.... :rolleyes:

Uhmmmm....I guess NR covers do not come in flat black?.... :rolleyes:

No, they just disintegrate rapidly.

You get what you pay for,.....but again, they were so cheap and easy to find when I used to buy/use them (My bike's been parked inside a garage in recent years) that it never bothered me that they did not last more than three years for me. Just a consumable really that you replace like tires and oil that I replaced when need be already. You can almost tell when they are about to break up when the blue color on the cover is almost 3/4's faded out already (Just like those colored toothbrush bristles that fade out to tell you to get a new one soon...)......The cost is so much easier to take than the much more expensive brands like the Dowco heavier covers that aren't necessarily that better made, as I found out....

To each his own I guess....

Chombi

Nelson Rigg

Fog City

Chevy Chase Bank

Delta Airlines

Damn! That's your whole list?

• Member Contributer

Have been using Dowlco, with good service. Picked up a $19.00 cover from Cyclegear and have had good service with the cheap cover ,also.post-19304-0-66426200-1351738510.jpgpost-19304-0-76018600-1351738514.jpg

I like using oversize covers and bungee cord the excess material around the bars and front cowling and another bungee around the rear of the bike. The pic in the snow is a Cyclegear BILT cover-on sale for $19.00.

• Member Contributer

I always hesitate a bit to suggest this, but the absolute best outdoor motorcycle cover is actually made by the same company that makes the best outdoor automobile cover: Covercraft Weathershield Pack Lite. I've got one for my ST1300 (and for my car). It's (very) expensive, but damn it really works. It feels just like lightweight nylon, so packs up very small (not as small as a Geza, but then, it's a full cover!), but it's totally waterproof yet breathable. Water just pools on it if you have a flat area; it will not leak through. Machine washable, too. Locking loops at the bottom--this is a cover you don't want walking away!

For years I used several different indoor and outdoor cheapo covers, such as the "sandpaper" lined Dowcos, and frayed-hem Nelson Riggs, and that's what convinced me to finally drop $100+ on the Pack Lite. My ST1300 lived outside in London for several years and still looks brand new. It's an amazing cover.

The reason for my hesitation is that my (black) ST1300 cover faded badly in the London sunshine(?) after a very short time and when I contacted them to complain, Covercraft could only tell me that they'd fixed that problem on their new covers. Yeah, thanks... :rolleyes:

Ciao,

If using a cover for long term, you really have to be consious, they trap moisture, so a heavy towel to aborb moisture is good, and replace it atleast once per week or anytime after a High moisture event like rain.

Archived