Calling on glove experts....

Higgin

So I have pretty much worn out my awesome Icon TiMax TRX gloves after 35k miles or so. I bought them a few years ago when I had my first VFR, and have been weraring them ever since and loved them. But they are nearing their end. Pretty much worn out. As it is my birthday this week, I was thining a bday present to myself was in order and have been looking for some new gloves. My previous gloves were the "short style" and I always had the issue of them not really fitting very well with the sleeves on my jacket. So I'm thinking I am going to try some long gauntlet style gloves time around. I thought I'd get some input from you guys since i know some of you are pretty much glove "collectors" lol. I'm looking for a glove that will be my main riding glove. It needs to be 1. comfortable 2.safe/durable and 3. look decent. Price is not really the limiting factor as its my bday present :smile: Here are the gloves I've been looking at so far....

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/evo_thrux_gloves.html

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/akira_evo_gloves.html

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/steve_classic_gloves.html

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/cortech_by_tour_master/adrenaline_ii_gloves.html

So those are the ones I'm looking at so far. As you can see, 3 held gloves made it on my list. I've never worn them, but I hear really good things about them and I'm considering giving them a try. The cortech one also looks to be really nice. Anyway, if anyone owns any of these gloves and can give input on them, that would be great! Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for gloves that are similar to those I have listed, let me know. I appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Can't go wrong with Held in my opinion. I have two pair that have a fit and feel that I can not get in other brands. I like my Steve's, but wish I had gone with something more like the Thrux.

• Member Contributer

So I have pretty much worn out my awesome Icon TiMax TRX gloves after 35k miles or so. I bought them a few years ago when I had my first VFR, and have been wearing them ever since and loved them. But they are nearing their end. Pretty much worn out. As it is my birthday this week, I was thining a bday present to myself was in order and have been looking for some new gloves. My previous gloves were the "short style" and I always had the issue of them not really fitting very well with the sleeves on my jacket. So I'm thinking I am going to try some long gauntlet style gloves time around. I thought I'd get some input from you guys since i know some of you are pretty much glove "collectors" lol. I'm looking for a glove that will be my main riding glove. It needs to be 1. comfortable 2.safe/durable and 3. look decent. Price is not really the limiting factor as its my bday present :smile: Here are the gloves I've been looking at so far....

No glove expert,but.......

It sure seems like you might want to look at the long gauntlet Icon Timax TRX.

• Member Contributer

My Hein Gericke Gore-tex ones did me well for many years, am now on a pair of Rev'it but unsure if these are sold in the US...

07478d54.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of Tecknic Lighting and a pair of Knox Biomech gloves which are similar to the Cortech as both have the Knox SPS integrated into the palm and the Knox have the kangaroo leather palm, so my choice would be the Cortech. Unfortunately I do not have any experience with Cortech so I can't say anything about their wear or longevity, sorry I can't be helpful there. I will say that they were on my list but I ended up with the Tecknic instead, I don't recall why, maybe due to back order or something.

As far as my gloves, I use the Tecknic as my everyday glove and the Knox as my weekend/track gloves and can say that I really like the Knox comfort and the feel of the kangaroo palm, plus they feel like you could punch through a wall and not even feel it. I hope that I will never have to test the SPS feature on either glove, but hope that they live up to design if I do! So far both are holding up well, but I have used the Tecknic gloves many times more than the Knox. The Knox BTW have awesome ventilation.

Cheers!

So I have pretty much worn out my awesome Icon TiMax TRX gloves after 35k miles or so. I bought them a few years ago when I had my first VFR, and have been wearing them ever since and loved them. But they are nearing their end. Pretty much worn out. As it is my birthday this week, I was thining a bday present to myself was in order and have been looking for some new gloves. My previous gloves were the "short style" and I always had the issue of them not really fitting very well with the sleeves on my jacket. So I'm thinking I am going to try some long gauntlet style gloves time around. I thought I'd get some input from you guys since i know some of you are pretty much glove "collectors" lol. I'm looking for a glove that will be my main riding glove. It needs to be 1. comfortable 2.safe/durable and 3. look decent. Price is not really the limiting factor as its my bday present :smile: Here are the gloves I've been looking at so far....

No glove expert,but.......

It sure seems like you might want to look at the long gauntlet Icon Timax TRX.

Yeah, I actually did think exactly that when my current gloves started wearing out, but I bought those back in 07, and even if I could still find a new pair to buy, I can't help but think that over the past 5 years there are probably better gloves out there. So I think its time to try something new.

Temps around here go from one extreme to the other, with year round riding season. So I have several pairs to utilize during each season. This time of year Im running Motocross gloves cause street gloves are too hot.

Well I at least have a fetish for gloves.

The main thing is to try them on before buying, and that includes gripping some handle bar grips to be sure the web between the thumb & index finger doesn't pull the tips of the fingers too tight. also check how it feels in general.

I looked at all your links and they all are good, but I'd probably get another pair like the ones you had, which I found a link for you. Why f with a good thing.

I'll probably try yours to see how they fit on me.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=+TiMax+TRX+gloves+&qpvt=+TiMax+TRX+gloves+&FORM=HURE#x0y0

Thanks for the responses guys! Even though my current Icon gloves were pretty awesome and held up well over time, I think i'm going to try something new. Just time to change it up a bit. Right now I'm really leaning towards going with a Held glove. From what I've read adn heard, pretty much everyone that has had them, has liked them. I was thinking pretty seriously about the Held Evo Thrux as they seem to have nice features and look good, but when I was wondering around Helds website I came upon these...

http://stores.heldnorthamerica.com/-strse-117/Held-Air-n-Dry/Detail.bok

Pretty similar to the Evo Thrux it seems (altho considered by held as a "touring" glove, instead of a "sport" glove as the Evo Trux is), but with the added benefit of gore-tex lining and being able to stay dry in light rain. I wouldnt think they'd probably stay dry in a crazy downpour, but if that happens, I'd probably be pulling over anyway. But there have been many times where I've ran into light rain that has soaked my current gloves, and that just sucks. So as of now, I'm thinking the Air-n-Dry's are at the top of my list.

• Member Contributer

I love my Held Steve II's for cooler weather and Air Hero for this heat we're having now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Oyama has some Dianese gloves that were pretty comfy. They were like a slimmed and thinned version of a serious race gauntlet. Feel was similar to the Held Steve, but with a bit more protection.

I find that I like gloves that have NO liner in the fingers, I get hand cramps with liners....... I don't know if this has been noticed by others?

I really like the Dianese gloves, but find the web is too short and makes it too tight on my index & thumb.

• Member Contributer

I have confidence in Held Steve gloves. They did not survive a sudden 55mph deer mishap, but my hands survived unscathed. Subsequently, I purchased another pair that I use today. I find them to be comfortable, too. I have not figured out how to avoid cold hands from wet gloves. My gloves are part of my ATGATT strategy.

Definitely the gauntlet style that pulls up over the sleeve end.

Better protection from wind, and harms way.. Less chance of glove coming off or exposing your wrist in a fall. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I am a big fan of Alpinestars. I had a pair of high end Spidi's but they were not up to snuff. I now have some Rev'it short gloves as my daily gloves. Good but nothing special.

Motorcyclist's June edition had a glove shootout. AGV Sport GPR gloves won. Cow and kangaroo leather; stingray skin. bridged fingers. Pricey.

At the recent motogp races I got the hardsell on the Lee Parks gloves. Simple deerskin. Pretty nice, but I didn't bite.

• Member Contributer

Those Held Air n Dry look good. I've been wearing a specific Spidi pair for 6-7 years (bought a few pair on clearance to last me) and they've been great, even crash tested and held up fine.

For hot weather I just picked up a pair of cheap Teknic's. http://www.revzilla....upervent-gloves

Scratch that, 4 days and the wrist strap already broke.

• Member Contributer

Motorcycle gear also has the AGV Laguna gloves at ~$90. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/agv_sport/laguna_motorcycle_gloves.html

They were rated a best buy in one of the motorcycle mags recently.

I ride with Five gloves, not sure on the style anymore. If you can find a set (company went back to strickly MX stuff this Spring), they are dirt cheep, CF reinforced palms, double layered pinky, and the knuckles are hard (and sharp) with a very sweet stainless steel mesh under the open plastic knuckle for air flow. If you sweat like I do, these are the shiz. If you ever wonder, "what would a fight be like if I had my gloves on?", these are also the gloves for you.

PS. I didn't start it, I just finished it. :ph34r: He who swings first at a man getting on a bike, feels the last swing.

• Member Contributer

Held.

I have had Alpine Star, Dianese, Cortech, and many many other lesser brands over the past 30 years.

Held.

• Member Contributer

Yet another vote for Held. I've had the same set of Steves (1st gen) for over 4 years now. The palms are filthy and they're well broken-in, but the stitching and the leather are still in great shape. Super comfy and versatile; I've worn them at 100+° track days and down into the 40s, though I did wish for a bit more lining in those colder rides to be honest. Haven't wrecked with 'em yet (knock on wood), but I know they have a great rep for it. I'm also in love with the little wiper insert on the index finger. I'll never own a set of gloves without that ever again, Held or otherwise.

Mike

I'll put my vote in for Rev'it gloves if you have shorter fingers. I have a hard time finding good fitting gloves because my palms are larger than normal. The Rev'its fit me perfect with just the right amount of finger length.

I have also crash tested a pair and although they are no longer useable, my hands were unscathed, not even a scratch.

• 1 month later...

Held get very good reviews over this side of the pond by all the magazines, hard to find a seller though. Not many bike shops left in the UK, especially in my neck of the woods. Personally i bought a pair of Alpinestar 365 gloves and they are fantastic, never had and issue in the wet and have gone through tough conditions.

It's all relative to your budget though and purpose, touring, commuting or weekend blasting.

Good luck!

Archived