Any interest in sharing oil testing data?

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

I saw on another thread a reference to Blackstone Labs oil analysis and decided to give them a try. I got my report back and was wondering if anyone else has some data that they would like to share and compare?

I'm using Royal Purple 10w40, 3432 miles on the oil, 79136 miles on the engine. Sample included 1880 miles of TMac with plenty of hard use, i.e. high rpm and high mileage days. Rest was commuting and sporting days. I pulled the sample from the filler without changing the oil/filter.

The only concerns were elevated Iron and Copper. Probably due to the TMac running. Viscosity was a little low, and I sprung for the extra TBN test to see how the additives were holding up. They show a value of 4.9. Honestly I don't know exactly what that means, but should be above 1. They recommend changing within 1000 miles. Probably due to low-ish viscosity numbers.

This was my first test, so without any trends it's hard to see much. No water or fuel, though! (None was expected)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

-- Interesting you got 3432 miles on your oil and Blackstone says change it within 1000. -- I like how you pulled a sample from the oil filter.

I would love to see ----- The great blackstone oil analysis thread. Real data and no bs. Maybe we could get a blackstone guy to give a large group discount. Possibly get 100 tests on Mobil MX 4T, Rotella T, Amsoil and a couple others. Check data at different intervals - 3500, 5500 and 8000 miles -------(whose the Blackstone guy?)

• Member Contributer

-- Interesting you got 3432 miles on your oil and Blackstone says change it within 1000. -- I like how you pulled a sample from the oil filter.

I would love to see ----- The great blackstone oil analysis thread. Real data and no bs. Maybe we could get a blackstone guy to give a large group discount. Possibly get 100 tests on Mobil MX 4T, Rotella T, Amsoil and a couple others. Check data at different intervals - 3500, 5500 and 8000 miles -------(whose the Blackstone guy?)

Actually, the filler. No "T". Just stuck a tube down it and pulled the sample out from a nicely warmed engine.

I'd like to see some numbers from Mobil riders, for sure.

$25 or $35 depending on what you'd like to measure. $25 for the standard and another $10 for the TBN to see how the additives hold up over mileage.

• Member Contributer

Actually, the filler. No "T". Just stuck a tube down it and pulled the sample out from a nicely warmed engine.

I'd like to see some numbers from Mobil riders, for sure.

$25 or $35 depending on what you'd like to measure. $25 for the standard and another $10 for the TBN to see how the additives hold up over mileage.

Filler makes more sense doesnt it..... --

--- See your data fans the flames and suggests that going to 8k miles may not be a good idea. One data point, but I would like a larger sample.

• Member Contributer

I would share it but I wouldnt know what to do with it, whats too much of this and not enough of that?

HS has it right here. In a previous life, I spent a couple of months taking oil samples from locomotives. They had a large database to work from. They were not, in general, worried about absolute levels of stuff unless it crossed a threshold. They did watch trends on all sorts of things, and if the level of Grozonium-12 was rising steadily, it meant that the frumium pump needed to be swapped out at the next service.

This sort of thing is useful if you have the database and you're trying to keep a fleet on the road bringing in the cash. For non-commercial vehicles, I'm not so sure. That said, data is always good, so if somebody wants to record oil test results, great!

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I'm in for a test. Years ago a former member began running tests for us but got sideswiped before he could publish the results.

• Member Contributer

I would share it but I wouldnt know what to do with it, whats too much of this and not enough of that?

That's why I'd like to see more tests. Only one on mine so far. Without the past 79 thousand miles worth it means not so much. Until I can build my own test database, might be interesting to see what others are seeing.

Also, Blackstone offers some "Universal Averages" on the test parameters. For example my iron number is 20 parts per million and they suggest 10 is the average. For copper, I'm at 21 ppm compared to 5 average. Might be nice to see numbers from the same engine types with similar mileages as opposed to their "Universal" numbers.

Just trying to offer an alternative to the age old "I've been running brand x for a thousand years and a billion miles with no problems" claims.

An oil sample database would be a cool thing to have and know, just not sure how practical it is would be for non-commercial vehicles as rdguy stated. I've taken a lot of samples for Cummins Diesel engines when I worked there. It gave us good information as far as determining an oil change interval and any wear issues with new internal engine components.

An oil change on a big engine like that can cost a couple hundred bucks though, so spending $25, or even $35, on an oil test could be worth the money if you extend your change out 50% longer. If you spend $30 on an oil change for the VFR, you would basically break even if you doubled your change interval by doing the samples. If you only extended your interval 20%, you basically lose money by doing it.

Maybe you just do the sample every other or every 3rd oil change to see if there is something else going on in the engine? Or maybe after you do 4 or 5 of them you can determine a good change interval and not have to continue to do them?

The next oil change I do, I think I am putting a Fumoto valve in though, so taking a sample would become easy if I wanted to do it.

A few years back there was someone on this site that posted the comparisons of technical data of various oils. Honestly, how many engines fail due to the type of oil put into them? Honda also does an enormous amount of testing and engineering on their motors - I've even seen a test on some TV show of a Honda Cub running only on oil from a deep fry machine. I feel 99.998 percent confident that I'll never have an issue with any Honda product as a result of oil.

• Member Contributer

OMG an oil thread!

Sent RT samples to Blackstone and got results back within four days. Really worth the cost-results showed really clean engine and could extend oil changes to 8300 miles. Too bad the rest of the bike was pure junk.

I believe state of Calif. is saying 3000 mile oil changes are a waste of resources.

• Member Contributer

So that is where I get interested. 8300 miles? Mine was 3432 and they recommend change within 1000 miles. What kind of riding on are you doing and what oil? Like I said, half of mine was TMac. That means pretty hard riding and long days for a week. Love to see what Matt's readings are after 10k miles, and I know how he rides!

I have had an engine go bye bye on me due to poor oil choice/changing. Turned out to be a con-rod bearing. So I am interested in keeping an eye on engine internal wear.

I chose to use the ridiculously expensive Royal Purple because two different mechanics that I trust (and were not trying to sell me anything!) recommended it. But is it really worth it? Say what you will, but without technical data it's just like religion and politics. You have your beliefs, and I have mine.

• Member Contributer

And no. NOT an OIL THREAD! Like I said earlier:

Just trying to offer an alternative to the age old "I've been running brand x for a thousand years and a billion miles with no problems" claims.

I have had an engine go bye bye on me due to poor oil choice/changing. Turned out to be a con-rod bearing. So I am interested in keeping an eye on engine internal wear.

I chose to use the ridiculously expensive Royal Purple because two different mechanics that I trust (and were not trying to sell me anything!) recommended it. But is it really worth it? Say what you will, but without technical data it's just like religion and politics. You have your beliefs, and I have mine.

There are many test out there already providing comparisons of different oil brands giving you the info your looking for w/o taking someones advice good or bad!

One thing I always remember from most I've seen is that Mobil 1 full syn always tested at or near the top and that Honda branded oil always tested near the bottom.

The only info you would need from sending in your own samples is How Long to run whatever brand that your running.

BR

PS is really will be an oil thread. :tongue:

I only did two tests on my VFR, and the main reason, I was expecting the vfr motor to be alot easier on the oil, and I was seeing extreme detioration by 1000 miles. I just wanted to confirm what my eye was seeing. I switched oil as a result from(rotella 5w40) to amsoil 15w40 and it improved alot. At Around 15,000 miles I noted over all the oil started holding up much better. But I stick to the heavier oils, for more than 2,000 miles. Car oil 10w40 I tend to run only about 1500 mile.

• 1 year later...

I decided to go ahead and do mine at the last oil change. Of course I switched to Rotella at the time, so this one on GN-4 might have been a waste as far as determining good change intervals. Anyway, it gave me info on how the internals of the engine appear to be doing.

zyhydyne.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a report to post but do not know a good way to get the paper report on to the digital website.

I have a report to post but do not know a good way to get the paper report on to the digital website.

If it was done through Blackstone, you can log into their site and access an electronic copy. If you have access to a fax machine, you can efax it to me and I will email it back to you.

• Member Contributer

Use a scanner if you have one. Save as .jpg. Open in paint, and use the paint brush (in black) to black out your name, address, and phone number. Save that as something new and you're GTG.

• Member Contributer

Holy crap, that made my eyes roll.

I have got to ride this weekend. all work and no play....

Archived