Any interest in sharing oil testing data?

KevCarver

For that report yes, but typically 2500 to 3000 miles with diesil or mc oil in 40 to 50 weight, I did run Mobil 1 vtwin 4000 miles one time, But 4000 mile is the longest Ive ever gone on an oil change.

car oil is 1500 mile max

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it held solidly in the 30 weight range, it probably started in the 40 weight rang with the 20w50 support. Done over I'd probably do two 20w50 and one 10w30. and went longer on oci.

I could have went to 3,000 on that run, like I said it beat expectations, but that was just a test and a pricey one.

T6 I pulled 6 aluminum count and 7 iron count in 1100 miles and lost a full grade , course the bike only have 5000 miles at the time.

amsoil 15w40 gave me the same wear numbers in 2000 miles as t6, double the life and same wear

but the redline is my best oci, but the bike was at 105,000 miles at the time

this bike has always given great wear reports

• Member Contributer
RedLineOil-PD.jpg
RED LINE OIL 20W50 MOTORCYCLE OIL

Red Line 20W50 Motorcycle Oil -Designed for the latest Big-Twin motorcycle engines that specify 20W50 motor oil, including including Evolution, Twin Cam, and aftermarket engines of similar design -Superior film strength through the use of ester base stocks for protection and ring seal -Extended drain intervals over other brands due to higher quality basestocks and excellent... » Read More

• DESCRIPTION
  • PART NUMBER
  • PRICE
  • QTY
  • Red Line 20W50 Motorcycle Oil- Quart
  • RD4-2504
  • $14.95
  • Red Line 20W50 Motorcycle Oil- Case of 12 Quarts
  • RD4-2504-12
  • $179.40

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Big-Twin-Powerpack/dp/B0038385H6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429748099&sr=8-2&keywords=Redline+Motorcycle++Oil

This not bad and I like the funnel !

• Member Contributer

This is 2 quarts redline 10w30 and 1 quart 20w50 redline, to ensure the 30 weight stays in grade, and did so very well.

Red Line 10w30 has a viscosity of 11.4 and their 20w50 has a viscosity of 20... mixing the oils in the ratios

indicated produces a higher viscosity of 11.4 but a lower viscosity of 20... mixing a 30 with a 50 usually

produces a 13.4... your 15$ a quart mix started out with a viscosity of 13.4 which is grade 40 and after

2500 miles sheared down to a viscosity of 10.2 which is a loss of 3.2 centistokes and now is a grade 30...

It's true but deceptive to claim it stayed in grade when it started one grade higher...

post-3131-0-09162200-1429764950.jpg

This is 2 quarts redline 10w30 and 1 quart 20w50 redline, to ensure the 30 weight stays in grade, and did so very well.

Red Line 10w30 has a viscosity of 11.4 and their 20w50 has a viscosity of 20... mixing the oils in the ratios

indicated produces a higher viscosity of 11.4 but a lower viscosity of 20... mixing a 30 with a 50 usually

produces a 13.4... your 15$ a quart mix started out with a viscosity of 13.4 which is grade 40 and after

2500 miles sheared down to a viscosity of 10.2 which is a loss of 3.2 centistokes and now is a grade 30...

It's true but deceptive to claim it stayed in grade when it started one grade higher...

attachicon.gifViscosityRangeChart.jpg

I think you missed the point, of trying to keep the 30 weight in grade, I said it would not have done that with out the 50 weight supporting it.

Did you read that? the success was the wear metal

I just showed you whats possible, and you showed me how to make a high mileage worn out motor with 5/30 car oil, is that fair?

but if you really want to take anything from the posts, or this thread for that matter, 30 weight in a MC is dumb, longevity wise.

• Member Contributer

Got my Blackstone report back. Using T6 and won't be using it much longer. Switching to Amsoil soon. I've always run it in the R1 and the report on it (I only changed the oil once last year in it) was fantastic. On the VFR with T6, not so much. I'll try to remember to post them later.

• Member Contributer

attachicon.gifViscosityRangeChart.jpg

... 30 weight in a MC is dumb, longevity wise.

Honda states 30 weight oil is ok in a VFR800 as long as the average temperature in the area you are riding is less than 90°F

Honda does things I don't always understand... I don't think they are dumb though.

• Member Contributer

My T6 report wasn't bad at all at 5-5.5k miles. Just sent in a 3600 mile sample today.

Is your report posted on this thread or elsewhere? I just did a quick look through and didn't see it. Two other T6 reports showed higher than average iron and aluminum

• Member Contributer

I just tried posting, but it's giving me trouble at the moment...

They said iron and aluminum were a little high (Al at 19, Fe at 18), but was a higher mileage sample than before. 5-5.5k miles. Copper was really notable, but I found out much later that installing a brass valve to the oil drain (Fumoto) can cause high copper when new. That was the first sample after installing a Fumoto quick drain valve.

I didn't stick to one brand after, so no consistency. This will be the first sample with the same type as an earlier sample. No change, just drew from filler today after a good ride.

• Member Contributer

They said iron and aluminum were a little high (Al at 19, Fe at 18), but was a higher mileage sample than before. 5-5.5k miles. Copper was really notable, but I found out much later that installing a brass valve to the oil drain (Fumoto) can cause high copper when new. That was the first sample after installing a Fumoto quick drain valve.

I didn't stick to one brand after, so no consistency. This will be the first sample with the same type as an earlier sample. No change, just drew from filler today after a good ride.

Sweet Thanks Kev .

Thinking about adding a quart of RedLine 15W-50 synthetic and test at 3000 miles.

Sweet Thanks Kev .

Thinking about adding a quart of RedLine 15W-50 synthetic and test at 3000 miles.

Be careful some of the redline or is MB rated , meaning not as strong of clutch grip(slippage). Make sure the redline used is a the MA type.

years ago Redline used to have a 15w50 that was MB rated, not sure nowadays, but definitely don't use their car oils in a bike . Motorcycle MA rated only

• Member Contributer

I wonder if the different engine generations inherently have different UOA profiles and averages?

E.g. the 6th gens timing chains vs the 5th gens timing gears, do they have an impact with more oil shear from the gears... or if the chains shed more/less metals?

I saw a bike not long ago, cant remember the brand, and it had a magnet to collect debri coming off cam chain (it was fairly good amount of metallic debri attached to that magnet.

At the same time Ive seen chain drive bikes with a lot of cam sprocket wear, and some with none. The ones that showed significant wear, were not oem cams sprockets, but aftermarket cam sprockets.

I would think a helical cam gear set up, would generated less metal over a tensioned chain set up, atleast there are less moving parts.

• Member Contributer

I would think a helical cam gear set up, would generated less metal over a tensioned chain set up, atleast there are less moving parts.

That was my thought too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's the latest, 3651 miles on the T6 sample (not changed) and 95909 total:

http://www.blackstone-labs.net/(jyhrsm552ggqjv55lr0tyj45)/oilreports.aspx?cid=G75184

(Not all previous tests were T6)

Aaaa... it's asking for a sign-in. I guess they don't want us looking at your data

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Last mid change report (above) suggested 3000 more miles. I ran it pretty hard at TMac, and it was shifting a bit rough, so I drained it after another 2700.

• Member Contributer

Last mid change report (above) suggested 3000 more miles. I ran it pretty hard at TMac, and it was shifting a bit rough, so I drained it after another 2700.

Be interesting to see your results... both Gig and I ran 5w30 (Motul & M1 respectively) pretty hard at TMAC and we will be sending ours in at 3000 for testing... I've got a few hundred more miles to go then will submit to Blackstone

Archived