Ride to work

• Member Contributer

Well I wasn't sure where to put this but I just want to wish everyone as VFRD a Merry Christmas and leave you with this photo taken outside my house as I prepare to brave the -12C winter commute to work - Happy holidays! :cheerleader:

copy2ofdsc00725.jpg

Merry Christmas to you too.

Hope you made that first downhill turn.

I don't know how you do it. Or why.

I'd be scared $hitless to ride in this.

Well I wasn't sure where to put this but I just want to wish everyone as VFRD a Merry Christmas and leave you with this photo taken outside my house as I prepare to brave the -12C winter commute to work - Happy holidays! :cheerleader:

copy2ofdsc00725.jpg

Merry Christmas to you too.

Hope you made that first downhill turn.

I don't know how you do it. Or why.

I'd be scared $hitless to ride in this.

If you think that gradient is bad, I should of got a photo of my drive way; hang on wait a minute I'll dig one out...

76956225.jpg

That's after I cleared the drive. I guess I'm a good advert for Dunlop's Roadsmart tyres, they're pretty sticky :laughing6-hehe:

In all fairness there has been 2 weeks this winter so far where I did admit defeat, but then so did most cagers out on the road too

• Member Contributer

Lovely jubbly.............. riding in such conditions..... :biggrin:

I hope you work at a steel factory, so you can warm up quickly....

That's pretty good, and you've been having some nasty weather lately too. When I was in my 20's / 30's I'd ride in snow, now I try to stay away from it.

That's pretty good, and you've been having some nasty weather lately too. When I was in my 20's / 30's I'd ride in snow, now I try to stay away from it.

I have no choice really as I don't have a car at the moment, although to be honest I probably would still prefer to ride! Yup I must have a screw loose or something, but then I am in my 20's :biggrin:

It's kinda funny knowing what some of these drivers are thinkin' when I go past them in all the traffic - I do use Gerbing heated kit... without it, I wouldn't last a mile when it's this cold.

I work as a music therapist so I have a nice warm class room and a big walk-in cupboard to put all my gear, I'm quite lucky, plus the bike parking area is sheltered.

• Member Contributer

Steve, can you describe what a music therapist does? Is it to help people with mental or developemental problems by listening to music, or do you help people that make really bad music? Tongue in cheeek obviously, but I am interested in your answer!

Steve

Steve, can you describe what a music therapist does? Is it to help people with mental or developemental problems by listening to music, or do you help people that make really bad music? Tongue in cheeek obviously, but I am interested in your answer!

Steve

Hi, thanks for asking. You are on the right track with your 1st assumption; Music is used as a means of communication but to also help with cognitive development - By using improvised music and sound, you can use select instruments as a communicative bridge to connect with the child or client - it's a rewarding job but also very frustrating at times, but it's great to be able to do what I love, combining playing the guitar and helping people :biggrin:

By the way Jay, believe me we have had tons in the UK - very unusual though to be honest, my back garden last week....

copyofcopyof12.jpg

Hi, thanks for asking. You are on the right track with your 1st assumption; Music is used as a means of communication but to also help with cognitive development - By using improvised music and sound, you can use select instruments as a communicative bridge to connect with the child or client - it's a rewarding job but also very frustrating at times, but it's great to be able to do what I love, combining playing the guitar and helping people :biggrin:

That is well cool.

• Member Contributer

Reminds me of this one, I am an everyday rider also by choice until there is snow or ice. But then again I am not riding my VFR, sticking to the commuter '80 CX500 :cheerleader:

gallery_8073_4155_8017.jpg

A surprise! 2-28-07-9:06am A surprise after I got to work

Happy Holidays & Stay Safe

Gary

Merry Christmas. :beer:

Please keep the snow to yourself, I don't want it.

I won't even ride in rain unless it crops up along the trip. Forget snow. You guys are nucking futs. :laughing6-hehe:

I think there's a conversion kit out there to put a snowmobile type track on a dirt bike. :idea3:

• Member Contributer

Nucking Futts, -12C = 10.4F :blink:

And thought I was crazy for commuting in 38F (3.3C) rain to work.

Happy holidays and a joyous New Year! :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Now I feel like a good weather wimp.... for me the cold limiter is about 35F and the precipitation meter needs to be near zero....I can somewhat handle the colder weather but I like to know the tires will stick.... Be safe my friend...

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the reply Steve. I think my 12 year old daughter could be helped by you...she is struggling to find her identity in 7th grade and basically decided to go from an "A" student to a "D/F" student this first semester. I'm only a part time Dad now since being divorced, but I am sick over it. She asked for a Ukulele for Christmas that my Mom got her. I hope the music speaks to her heart...

Ride safe my new friend.

P.S. Lived in Aberdeen, Scotland as a teen for about 1 year...an experience I will not soon forget.

• Member Contributer

Steve - Interesting occupation. Then it is true that "Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak". Nice!

Steve - Interesting occupation. Then it is true that "Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak". Nice!

Yes and very nicely put!!

''You guys sporting tire studs or what? What is traction like?'' - What traction? :comp13: :biggrin:

Hi 2thdr, Where do you live? Sorry that she hasn't progressed well, learning a musical instrument is a wonderful thing and may give her a real sense of achievement. After all music is our primal language, something everyone can relate to and enjoy - it's also a wonderful way of making new friends and inspiring you in many areas of life. Merry Christmas I wish you and your daughter all the best for the new year!

Eve I that is used to low temps leav the bike standing at thouse condissions. Just top risky to ride.

Just regular rubber on? Slippery? nevermind :comp13:

Archived