Ride to work

Happy New Year to all!

I have decided not to buy a car for my time in japan so I use my motorcycle as a commuter, so far I have ridden in 28F weather. Even so, if I saw even a dusting of snow on the ground I would be on the train to as close to work as I could get and then running the 1.5 miles from there rather than try riding. Be safe on the snow.

Where I stay we don't ever get snow, or temperatures in the minus. I consider you brave to ride on these kind of roads! We are so fortunate in Cape Town, South Africa to almost always have good weather right through the year! I commute to work on my VFR in winter and summer but it never becomes an "offroad" adventure! LOL

• Member Contributer

Steve,

Just to say merry Christmas back to you, and a safe and happy new year.

Much like africanvfr, we do not get snow, so this type of riding is so far out there in left field that we forget it even exists.

Take care, and most of all keep communicating with those Children, they are the most precious things on this Earth.

Tom

Well I wasn't sure where to put this but I just want to wish everyone as VFRD a Merry Christmas and leave you with this photo taken outside my house as I prepare to brave the -12C winter commute to work - Happy holidays! :cheerleader:

copy2ofdsc00725.jpg

I have got cough in the snow a couple of times but the snow was melting when it hit the rod I cannot imagine ridding with snow or ice on the road. Thanks for the pictures I hope you have a Happy New Year.

I find riding in these sorts of conditions that the usual rule of 'looking far ahead' goes out the proverbial window as you constantly have to scan for icy patches and loose snow. I am extremely jealous of those of you that never get weather like this, you lucky sods!!! :goofy:

Thankyou for all of your good will comments, honestly I really don't know of a better bunch of riders than VFRD, the 'Slammer' should be very proud, cheers! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Looks like my ride into work on Tuesday...5:15 am run into a snowstorm....all you can see is white...snow does not blow off the windshield on my CX500... cruised through that about 5 minutes then it was clear and dry the rest of the way to the Gym... went to leave the gym about 7:15 and it had snowed :blink: about an inch & a half deep. hoped on the bike rode out through the snow & decided with the other morons on the road, I would just get a ride to work from there. Glad that I did, the cars sliding all over were everywhere...people here in the NW do not have a clue how to drive :angry: So I went & got my bike at lunch. :bliss: Now the weather report shows a high for tomorrow of 33F with 0% Precip so I will still be riding!!!

Stay safe

Gary

• 2 months later...

How do you take roundabouts on a surface like that? I'm already scared in the rain!!! (but then, I've had a few misadventures with gravity :pissed: , all in the past now :huh: )

• 3 years later...

My apologies for taking 4 years to reply :goofy:

I've just been looking back at some of my old posts on here, damn I forgot how great this place is. I ride a Blackbird now (for 3 years) but I still miss that V4 sound and feel.

I also drive a 'cage' now too, so no more cold winter commutes for me. I've probably either grown up a bit or applied a bit of risk: reward adjustment in my life! :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

lol, was wondering why I was reading an old thread, but I just found out I'll be moving from Miami to Maine, so, it was a bit inspiring to see a motorcycle on the snow.

Glad you're still around :beer:

Archived