Helmet Noise

Guest VFR04

• Member Contributer

I went with custom molded ear plugs with tiny Sony digital

speakers... they cut 30db of wind noise and allow every note of the

music through even at low volumes... perfect...

EarPlugInstalled.jpg

RockinEarPlugs.JPG

I added a light weight Xact Sirius satellite receiver...

SiriusSatelliteRadioRC45..JPG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have also found that wearing my velour neck warmer, snug up to my helmet 'really' cuts the road noise. Plus it keeps my neck warm and safe from pesky bugs.

http://www.schampa.com/product_p/td001.htm

Something like this really helps the noise on my Shoei. Anyone tried the helmet skirts? Like: http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/Motor_Cycling_Windjammer_II.html

PL82-lge.gif

I use EarPro Sonic Defenders link And they work really well. Like a semi-custom set of ear plugs that cost about $10.

EP3_2.jpg

Only provide a 16dB Noise Reduction Rating? Have you found that to be enough? I use foam ear plugs with a 30dB NRR, and don't think I'd want to go much lower. Do the EarPros work differently somehow?

I'll tell you that they do a great job with my head up against any of my rifles. The report of a .308 is alot louder than the wind noise I get through my RF-1000.

+1 on the earplugs. I get them by the case load at work safety stores.

Optionally, if I'm going on a long ride I carry these Philips noise-cancelling earplug phones.

philips-shn2500-active-noise-cancelling-headphones.jpg

AKA Active noise control.

I'm easily disturbed by noise anywhere, (even the sound of grass growing irritates me), so these are one of my fav items.

They do not cut as much noise as foam plugs, but they do a good job at it nonetheless since they were designed for use in-flight to cut turbine and wind noise.

Plus you get your music nice and clear. Got them at a killer deal ($7), but I've seen them in retail at as much as $30. so shop around. They aren't the only ones who make them

I already had their DJ full-on model, so it was no biggie to trust their technology on the smaller item.

BTW, for the geek heads, Bose's founder Amar came up with this idea during a flight, after suffering through a flight with headphones that barely could be heard over the flight noise. Took him 10 years.

I rode for years with no ear protection (I'm old as dirt) and I can tell you I do suffer from hearing loss. So now I always wear ear plugs--I hate them, but they are a necessary evil!

• Member Contributer

I have also found that wearing my velour neck warmer, snug up to my helmet 'really' cuts the road noise. Plus it keeps my neck warm and safe from pesky bugs.

http://www.schampa.com/product_p/td001.htm

Something like this really helps the noise on my Shoei. Anyone tried the helmet skirts? Like: http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/Motor_Cycling_Windjammer_II.html

PL82-lge.gif

Anyone tried the helmet skirts?

I used this on my old helmet and it make a giant difference. the test is ride at steady state, then put your hand around the neck area of the helmet. If it gets remarkably quieter, it'll help.

Ear plugs are a givin requirement, wind noise can generate as much as 110 db, well above the 86 db damage level.

Helmet fit is critical. some helmets are for rounder heads and some are more oval. The correct brand AND fit will make the difference.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

HJC and Arai tend to be "round"

Shoei more for oval heads.

+1 on ear plugs,

I hate them, but they beat going deaf.

Also look at the helmet, make sure the shield seals to the eye-port all the way around and that the cheek pads are tight.

I still remember getting my Shoei multi-tec after years of wearing an HJC Symax.

First stop light, I was wondering what was that funny rhythmic noise, then the light went on,...

IT was my breathing.

That helmet was much quieter than my old symax it wasn't funny.

• Member Contributer
The vfr is a loud wind noise bike, some aftermarket wind screeens actually make it worse, but either you wear earplugs or suffer the consequences in later years. The vfr without plugs will destroy your ears.

+1

Went from a naked bike to the VFR with the same helmet, and the VFR is much louder. I am 6'-1", and the windscreen (OEM on mine) concentrates the airflow and shoots it right at my head.

After about 8 hours on the road, my ears do start to get sore from earplugs being in them, but that passes. Once hearing is gone, it's gone.

• Member Contributer

Why do so many people hate ear plugs? I love 'em!

Custom molded Big Ears for riding, but I used foam throw-aways for years. They are always trying to expand, so they can get irritating after many hours, but my Big Ears are great. In fact not that long ago I spent the day riding and literally never took off my helmet once in nearly 8 hours.

You can find some good foam plugs at Wally World. They are purple and come with a small carry case, 20 to a pack. They also sell a 50 with no carry case, and they actually are more expensive per plug. Weird...

• Member Contributer

I'm really looking forward to reading some real reviews of the Qwest after it's been on the market for a few months. Looks like my previously planned purchase of a Scorpion EXO-750 is going to be put off for a while.

And get some earplugs, I like Flent's Quiet Please myself.

The vfr is a loud wind noise bike, some aftermarket wind screeens actually make it worse, but either you wear earplugs or suffer the consequences in later years. The vfr without plugs will destroy your ears.

+1

Went from a naked bike to the VFR with the same helmet, and the VFR is much louder. I am 6'-1", and the windscreen (OEM on mine) concentrates the airflow and shoots it right at my head.

After about 8 hours on the road, my ears do start to get sore from earplugs being in them, but that passes. Once hearing is gone, it's gone.

I've tried a lot of different types of ear plugs.... These are soft for all day wear .... Can't even tell they're in, comfort-wise...... And they have a skin-like coating as opposed to the ones that feel like a cig. filter........ Myself, I roll them to a point and lick them quickly and slide them in all the way to the eardrum and hold them there till they expand, that way they seal well........ If for some reason they have to much pressure on the drum I can pull on it just a scosh.....Here is a link .... I use the green ones featured........ I have no $$$$ interest in this company.........

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Lite-Ear-Plugs-MAXLITE/dp/B000AYFT3E

is that really the only option? i was hoping there would be another way....

There is but you will need to wait 40 more years and you will have poor hearing like I do. Then it is not such a big deal......"Train? I can't hear no stinkin Train!" :laughing6-hehe: Really though, look into other helmets. My HJC's are noisy. Best one I ever had was a Simpson I used in my race car. But those are really pricey and very hard to find. I am told Arai are pretty quiet.

• Member Contributer

RockinEarPlugs.JPG

these are the exact same ones i had custom made did not like them. on long rd trips they become uncomfortable, not the only one that had the same experience.

cheap foamy ones blocked out more noise aswell,as long as you learn the right way to wear them.

everyones ears are different, unfortunately its trial and error to find what works best for you.

• Member Contributer

I've tried a lot of different types of ear plugs.... These are soft for all day wear .... Can't even tell they're in, comfort-wise...... And they have a skin-like coating as opposed to the ones that feel like a cig. filter........ Myself, I roll them to a point and lick them quickly and slide them in all the way to the eardrum and hold them there till they expand, that way they seal well........ If for some reason they have to much pressure on the drum I can pull on it just a scosh.....Here is a link .... I use the green ones featured........ I have no $$$$ interest in this company.........

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Lite-Ear-Plugs-MAXLITE/dp/B000AYFT3E

Interesting. I've worn some like that in the past, but not for extended periods. My favorite has been these Winchester-branded ones at Wal-Mart.

Ear+Plugs.JPG

I know fit is subjective... for me, these are real comfortable and seal well. I wear them every day for the commute etc. But on one particular long trip, after 5 consecutive 8-hour days on the bike, even the gentle foam pressure wore my ears raw. I left them in a rest stop garbage can about 150 miles from home and just went commando from there.

• Member Contributer

I recently treated myself to custom made ear plugs.... I highly recommend them.

5007216987_07a0b070d9_m.jpg

Okay - yes I've had a coupla glasses of wine after work but your new ear-plugs look for all the world like you just cut the noses of two tiny little old men :blink:

One with red nostriles and one with blue (maybe Happy and Sneezy?) :happy:

Poor little fellas!

Earplugs are the easiest and cheapest way to reduce helmet noise. I ride with earplugs most of the time - basically any ride over 15-20 minutes, especially if it's at 55 mph or higher.

A helmet skirt probably helps a lot, too, but I've yet to try one.

...My favorite has been these Winchester-branded ones at Wal-Mart.

Ear+Plugs.JPG

I know fit is subjective... for me, these are real comfortable and seal well. I wear them every day for the commute etc. But on one particular long trip, after 5 consecutive 8-hour days on the bike, even the gentle foam pressure wore my ears raw...

+1. That's exactly what I buy and use. They do get uncomfortable after long periods, but I can usually work around it.

BTW, they come in handy for shooting, too. :laugh: I keep a pack in my range bag at all times.

I also use them during gigs on loud stages. Love these things. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I wear the foam ear plugs every time I ride. I take a container full of them wherever I go. I can still hear my earphones clearly (music, intercom, etc.) and some traffic noise, but they cut the wind noise down about 95%.

They lose their compression/expansion capability after a couple of uses, but that's OK because I've usually lost one or the other by then. I like the idea of the custom molded pieces, but I know I'd lose them in short order. The foam ones are inexpensive and expendable.

• Member Contributer

+1 on ear plugs,

I hate them, but they beat going deaf.

i agree with that.. :owned:

i miss listening spinal tap !! :dry:

my second fav song...

:musik20: :fing02: :musik20:

You been bad

Don't do what I say.

You don't listen.

And you never obey.

Try to teach you.

But you just won't be good.

You won't behave the way

A big girl should.

It's time to give the whip a crack.

I'm gonna have to send you back to

Bitch School.

Bitch School.

You're a beauty.

You're the best of your breed.

You're a handful.

And I know what you need.

You need training.

Gonna bring you to heel.

I'm gonna break you with my will of steel.

Discipline's my middle name.

And no one comes back the same from

Bitch School.

Bitch School.

No more sniffling strangers, or running free at night.

You think my bark's bad, honey - wait till you feel my bite.

You got problems.

You whine and you beg.

When I'm busy,

You wanna dance with my leg.

I'm gonna chain you.

Make you sleep out of doors.

You're so fetching when you're down on all fours.

And when you hear your master,

You will come a little faster, thanks to

Bitch School.

I'm starting to suspect that helmet makers conciously limit noise supression to some extent to avoid any exposure to litigation in case a user of their product would blame them for "not hearing" something and causing an accident. I'm thinking this because it seems like the things that bikers do to suppress noise is so simple that you would think that the engineering resources ofr these big helmet companies could easily do just as well or better.

Maybe it's another reason why there seems to be no helmet company utilizing or looking into any active electronic noise cancelling systems in their helmets as you would think that this is an obvious answer with technology already well tested and proven. JM2c

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Maybe it's another reason why there seems to be no helmet company utilizing or looking into any active electronic noise cancelling systems in their helmets as you would think that this is an obvious answer with technology already well tested and proven.

Beck

95 VFR

because they dont want to blamed for messing up your love life ! "sorry babe.. the helmets "noise canseller" seems to find your voice as something to block.. its not MY fault " :laughing6-hehe:

Maybe it's another reason why there seems to be no helmet company utilizing or looking into any active electronic noise cancelling systems in their helmets as you would think that this is an obvious answer with technology already well tested and proven.

Beck

95 VFR

because they dont want to blamed for messing up your love life ! "sorry babe.. the helmets "noise canseller" seems to find your voice as something to block.. its not MY fault " :laughing6-hehe:

Uhmmm.....That's a bit of a stretch for a joke spin :blink:....but I guess it is funny...... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

Uhmmm.....That's a bit of a stretch for a joke spin :blink:....but I guess it is funny...... :biggrin:

hey i am deaf and i have used variations of it..

sorry my hearing aid doesnt seam to amplify your voice.. :pinocchio:

i am sorry the digital tech stuff in my new hearing is picking up the blondes voice.. does she sound like fran dretcher? that why i keep looking at her.. :pinocchio: :tongue:

• Member Contributer

I bought a HJC IS-16 to try out the internal sun visor. The visor is awesome but holy mother is it a noisy helmet. Brutal is how I would describe it. Earplugs make it bearable but next time a quiet helmet is what I will be shopping for.

Archived