Helmet Noise

Guest VFR04

Hey everyone i got a quick Q!

I just bought a new HJC helmet but unfortunately theres a lot of road noise when cruising above 60mph. Anybody ever have this problem? or know of anyway i could reduce the sound?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I just bought a new HJC helmet but unfortunately theres a lot of road noise when cruising above 60mph. Anybody ever have this problem? or know of anyway i could reduce the sound?

Earplugs Grasshopper...

And learn how to put them in correctly or they won't help much.

• Member Contributer

I always ride with ear plugs as it helps prevent you from becoming exhausted and keeps you alert. Until you forget to put your earplugs in and ride for a while you dont realize how much they are helping your alertness and comfort.

More than likely you also have on the wrong size hekmet as well. there was a recent thread with excellent advice on helmet sizing.

• Member Contributer

Nothing against HJC, but when I was shopping for a new helmet, this once one of my criteria. I tried on several and settled on the Shoie RF1000. A few more (a bunch) than others, but the fit and feel was way higher quality.

Using ear plugs properly is a key point. I use deci damps when not wearing headphone buds, and ensure they are in the canal and allow time to expand.

I have also found that wearing my velour neck warmer, snug up to my helmet 'really' cuts the road noise. Plus it keeps my neck warm and safe from pesky bugs.

http://www.schampa.com/product_p/td001.htm

• Member Contributer

Earplugs Grasshopper...

And learn how to put them in correctly or they won't help much.

Yep a big +1

I've found that the biggest source of road/wind noise comes through the helmet's biggest opening - the head hole - no surprises there. To that end I use BMW series helmets because they over size the 'lips' so that there is minimal gap around your neck/chin. Makes a big difference IMHO - I actually don't need to wear plugs anymore since switching to BMW helmets - but I still do anyway. The other thing that can help (depending on the climate) is to wear a thick neck warmer which has the same affect of closing off the helmet's head hole.

gallery_19264_5124_80068.jpg

2 May 2010 - 15kph Hero Pic :-)

Earplugs are such a minor inconvenience if you consider that hearing loss is progressive and cannot be cured...it doesn't come back once it's gone! I also considered the BMW/Schuberth helmet route to minimize helmet noise, but their helmets are just too overpriced for what they are, IMO. the few cents per earplug an easier way to go for most of us..

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

+1 on ear plugs. You'll eventually come to love them.

Also, the cheek pads in the helmet are replaceable with different sizes. If yours are too small, that could be letting in extra sound.

• Member Contributer

sorry man but ear plugs are the only answer. i have used HJC shark shoie and Arai helmets the best for noise was shoie wost is Arai. HJC was close to Shoie.

cheap foamy ones work best keep trying different brands till you find which ones work best.have spent a fortune on custom made ones only to find after a few hrs they become uncomfortable.

• Member Contributer

This will sound weird but I had buffeting issues so I put some leftover Dynamat on my helmet. Dynamat is the foil covered black tar sheet used to dampen vibrations in the car. Car audio guys use it. I have an old Shoei helmet, and I put some inside the cover plates for the visor and some below that on the outside. It did not cure the buzzing, but it did seem to help.

• Member Contributer

Yes, like they said, earplugs are the only option. If you want to keep your hearing, that's the only option I think. All gear includes earplugs. If you're cheap like me and don't want to pay lots for custom, buy them in bulk and keep them fresh and clean. I guess a better windshield may help in reducing buffeting noise, but I'm not sure by how much (dead air bubble behind windshield). Try and go for the best db reduction, it will protect your hearing and you'll be glad you did that at 60 when you can still hear the birds singing. Even Michael Schumacher uses them!!! Must be good.... (ok, I know, they have two-way comm, but still)

Anyway, good luck.

C

• Member Contributer

If I ride more that 30 minutes w/o ear plugs it feels like someone is sticking a pencil thru my eardrums!! I use inexpensive rubber ear plugs with a small plastic insert that allows easy placement firmly into ear canal. The ear plugs are also tethered by a nylong string so you can hang them round your neck or minimize loss.

post-9339-066223900 1284782982_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

I always ride with ear plugs as it helps prevent you from becoming exhausted and keeps you alert. Until you forget to put your earplugs in and ride for a while you dont realize how much they are helping your alertness and comfort.

More than likely you also have on the wrong size hekmet as well. there was a recent thread with excellent advice on helmet sizing.

+1.gif When I started riding in my younger days, I never considered earplugs. Now that I'm older, I wear them all the time. It makes a world of difference. I find it much easier to hear other noises, like sirens, etc.

Helmet sizing makes a big difference. You have to make sure it's the right shape for your head. Arai has some good info on head and helmet shapes on their site. Also, check out webbikeworld.com. (I'm too lazy to find the actual article myself.)

This winter, I'm considering adding one of those skirts that go on the bottom of the helmet to seal it off better. It's designed to keep you warmer, but also blocks a lot of wind noise.

what kind of helmet did you have?

You didnt mention , you just got the vfr so its not really the helmet. The vfr is a loud wind noise bike, some aftermarket wind screeens actually make it worse, but either you wear earplugs or suffer the consequences in later years. The vfr without plugs will destroy your ears.

The only thing if you just cant wear plugs, try some cottom balls

• Member Contributer

I you don't like the ear plug option; Shoei just released a new helmet design. The "Quest". They claim that it creates 60% less wind noise. If you want a better helmet than HJC, you can kill two birds with one stone.

Check out the link below. Good luck.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Shoei-Quest-Helmets-Solid-Colors-New-for-2011

• Member Contributer

+1 on the earplugs, once you get used to them you'll find out how awful it is to ride without them. And I can still hear things like tire noise of a passing car on the highway with them in, so I figure I'm not missing anything. The other thing that makes a big difference for me is my neck blocker that I use on less than 64 degree mornings. (yes, that's my comfort temp) The neck wind blocker goes up into the helmet and down into my jacket. makes a big difference.

• Member Contributer

I use EarPro Sonic Defenders link And they work really well. Like a semi-custom set of ear plugs that cost about $10.

EP3_2.jpg

Only provide a 16dB Noise Reduction Rating? Have you found that to be enough? I use foam ear plugs with a 30dB NRR, and don't think I'd want to go much lower. Do the EarPros work differently somehow?

• Member Contributer

+1 on the earplugs, once you get used to them you'll find out how awful it is to ride without them. And I can still hear things like tire noise of a passing car on the highway with them in, so I figure I'm not missing anything. The other thing that makes a big difference for me is my neck blocker that I use on less than 64 degree mornings. (yes, that's my comfort temp) The neck wind blocker goes up into the helmet and down into my jacket. makes a big difference.

Do you have a pic or link for your neck blocker? Is it like this?

http://www.schampa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TD001&CartID=1

Years ago i did a little bit of redneck wind tunnel research on this same issue.

You could try a couple of riding options to see how it affects the noise--under or over. Try ducking down under the windshield into the bubble, or try sitting up as high as possible (and/or add a temporary seat pad) so you can hold your head higher to get into clean air coming over the windshield. Also try tilting your chin up to look far down the road instead of looking down into your gauges.

There is a noisy turbulent flow region coming off the lip of the windshield and that's where you don't want to be.

Lots of helmets seem to be quieter in clean air than in turbulent, and i can change the noise level by adjustments such as above. But i still always wear earplugs cause i want to save my decibel loss for loud rock music...

• Member Contributer

Do you have a pic or link for your neck blocker?

No, it's pretty much this one. Mine is mesh over the nose, and I can't tell if the one is this picture has that.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/2/53/28696/ITEM/REV-IT!-Windcollar-Wrap.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Gbase_28696&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=28696

Archived