Veefalo Mods

• Forum CEO

gallery_491_5422_319095.jpg

Spent Last Night working on the bike

So Baileyrock was kind enough to remove the Ohlins Shock off the Old Girl and send it to me a few weeks back, I had hopes that it would fit since it seemed it mounted the same as the older 5th and 6th Gen bikes. The only concern was clearance and if it needed to be modded for length? To my surprise the OEM shock is the same free length and size as the 5th Gen Ohlins I had on the old girl. It was a simple bolt up job! I only had to remove the slip on to get to the linkage. Boy they beefed up the linkage triangles for the 1200 thats for sure its almost 40% thicker! Thanks BR for doing all that tear down work on the old girl.

gallery_491_5422_654898.jpg

The Ohlins off the Old Girl YES its the same size!!

gallery_491_5422_452925.jpg

Ohlins Install Where to put the remote reservoir?

gallery_491_5422_771236.jpg

This is the only place I could find to mount the reservoir - the hose was a bit long too

Now for the Farkles, I have always been a fan of heated grips but I did not want to used my Hot Grips controller on this bike - seemed too big and clunky to use (I will offer it free btw in the pay it forward section if anybody wants it). So I found of all things a cruiser website that had a one button 4 position led controller that mounts to the handle bar by replaceing the main clamp. It required me to drill the bar though to thread the wires into there but I found I was into a solid section of the bar where the hollow end is pressed on. so I drilled 3 shallow holes and then made a sort of wire trench with the dremel and fished the wires in there. I put the bars on the clamp and tried to see if it was weakend by the drilling - nope solid still no issues since it was a small hole into solid aluminum.

gallery_491_5422_349269.jpg

Heated Grip controller 4 heat settings marked with an led display on the right handlebar

gallery_491_5422_37955.png

Symtec Heat Deamon - Heated grips and controller

I like the clean look of the new controller and the one button touch on the fly, the led can be turned down too for night time riding so it does not blast you by holding the button longer.

I have always liked the brake light modulators I had before so I bought a new signal dynamics XP back off brake light modulator. Also I wanted to be seen better in the day (after being ran off the road in my own damn lane!) I thought I would geek it up and get a signal dynamics diamond Headlight modulator too. both purchased at motorycycle superstore.

gallery_491_5422_479058.jpg

Installing Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator I want to be seen - no more hillbillys not noticing me in my own lane!

gallery_491_5422_600717.jpg

Ran out of wire taps doing it the old fashioned way - good thing is all the wires are in one place on the left side under the fairing

I found a nice little autcom mount piece for the loose connector that I previously let hang off the seat from the old girl, this secures it better and can be removed from the holder

gallery_491_5422_574910.jpg

Autocom connector secured with a plastic holder now

I did not take pictures of the brake light install I was well into it before I decided to post this up. I had already installed a signal dynamics led voltmeter too that I did not post either. used the same wires as the headlight tied into the horn. The headlight mod can be controlled by the horn too.

mods.wmv

• Forum CEO
  • Forum CEO

That's freaken cool the Ohlins is a bolt up mod!!! :lobby:

Any Idea what the stock spring rate is on the 1200? Looks like a stout spring.

BR

BR I think its half a dozen here and 6 the other. The Ohlins has a beefy spring diameter but it also has two more coils than the oem so I think its a wash. Pretty close to OEM I suspect. I was going to go calcualte it out but did not as of yet, same coil overhead diameters around the shock body. The OEM has 4 coils and the Ohlins has 2 more, so the Ohlins might be even less spring rate. More coils = less spring rate. Thicker coil wire = more spring rate. Wash I think between them.

• Forum CEO

I take it that Autocom connector isn't in the way of your knee / leg ?

It was the most convienet spot - its not too bad, it is perfect for where the wires come out of my leathers though. I do hit the knee once in a while on my last trip but it was not annoying. its just a bit out of the way but you can hit it sometimes when you move around on the bike, taking your legs off the pegs. its all rubber too not hard plastic.

did you use the 5th gen extender bracket to raise up the back or just bolt her in there.

P.S. I like a man who will drill into his brand new 15,000 bike!!!! :lobby:

• Forum CEO

did you use the 5th gen extender bracket to raise up the back or just bolt her in there.

P.S. I like a man who will drill into his brand new 15,000 bike!!!! :lobby:

No I just took the bracket off the OEM unit.

• Member Contributer

P.S. I like a man who will drill into his brand new 15,000 bike!!!! :fing02:

I have to agree with Timmy about the drilling!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Nice work.

Did you use the inside the bar heating elements that come with that kit, or the regular ones that mount on the outside of the bar, under the grip? I think I can see the wire on the outside, and don't think the inside version would work with the internal bar weights.

Picture%20023.jpg

• Member Contributer

Interesting that all the Signal Dynamics products are now out of stock. Did you buy a bunch of extras?? :fing02:

• Forum CEO

Nice work.

Did you use the inside the bar heating elements that come with that kit, or the regular ones that mount on the outside of the bar, under the grip? I think I can see the wire on the outside, and don't think the inside version would work with the internal bar weights.

Picture%20023.jpg

If you go back and read the comment I used under the grip elements, they sell both types.

• Forum CEO

Interesting that all the Signal Dynamics products are now out of stock. Did you buy a bunch of extras?? :laughing6-hehe:

I purchased them at motorcycle superstore - they had them in stock

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Nice work HS!

I agree, that heat controller is very nice, do you know if they offer it separately?

That I dont know, there is a link there if you would like to find out.

Thanks for making me look, I think I found it. Look the same?

http://www.symtec-inc.com/Packaged-Black-Universal-HeatDemon-Controller-_p_98.html

gallery_491_5422_319095.jpg

Spent Last Night working on the bike

I saw that picture and thought that you had painted the bright silver accent and mirrors.

I really like that darker metal look in that lighting.

can't wait to see the tinted aftermarket screens come out for the 7th gen.

Nice work HS.

I'd gladly take the heat 'troller off your hands to replace the broken warm and safe on my RC51.

I agree it looks industrial at times, but the one from hot grips on my vfr has held up way better than the warm and safe controller. I partially blame myself for the pot and led board getting damaged, but W&S could have given us option of a small case to support the mount better.

Not sure what I'll go with when I get my 7th gen, but I know I want more adjust-ability than the Honda control offers. What is so darn hard about designing a PWM heat control?

Do you have any concern about hitting the "flasher" button when reaching for that heat controller button?

Still, your farkles just make me like the bike even more.

• Member Contributer

When you get your 7th gen consider the Honda heated grips.

You may not like them from a cursory observation but they are wrapped differently and actually put the heat where it is needed and therefore may not need more adjustability.

OT, the bike is looking weerrry weerrrryyy niiiiiiice Miguel.

When you get your 7th gen consider the Honda heated grips.

You may not like them from a cursory observation but they are wrapped differently and actually put the heat where it is needed and therefore may not need more adjustability.

OT, the bike is looking weerrry weerrrryyy niiiiiiice Miguel.

Well I thought the integrated switch was nice, but I like a dial your heat thermostatic control.

Also add in that I like the added thickness that my hot grips have. It really helps with my screwed up hands.

If I went with the Honda heated grips I'd have to get some sort of over-grip for general comfort.

Maybe if they made them for say the Stateline or something with a fatter grip, then I could install them instead.

Its pretty bad when you actually look for a fat grip so that you can keep you hand more open while riding.

• Member Contributer

Interesting that all the Signal Dynamics products are now out of stock. Did you buy a bunch of extras?? :huh:

Call or email them to see if they have what you want in stock. Their website is not updated often. I just bought a Back Off Device that was sold out on the website.

Archived