Veefalo Mods

That's freaken cool the Ohlins is a bolt up mod!!! :blink:

Any Idea what the stock spring rate is on the 1200? Looks like a stout spring.

BR

BR I think its half a dozen here and 6 the other. The Ohlins has a beefy spring diameter but it also has two more coils than the oem so I think its a wash. Pretty close to OEM I suspect. I was going to go calcualte it out but did not as of yet, same coil overhead diameters around the shock body. The OEM has 4 coils and the Ohlins has 2 more, so the Ohlins might be even less spring rate. More coils = less spring rate. Thicker coil wire = more spring rate. Wash I think between them.

I was told that the Ohlins has smaller diameter springs but that they are stiffer due to the way Ohlins manufactures them. This is why they are so sought after. They are lighter and stiffer then the other guys.

• Forum CEO

The shock is a definite improvement over the stock, the ohlins really helped put a stop to the rear wheel hop in the tight corners when gassing out of corners. I set it with the same settings I wrote down for the old girl. Might need a bit more compression damping as it seems a bit bouncy. The seat is killing me though that is the next project I am going to tackel - take off the skin and shape it better. 75 miles yesterday on the Pine loop and my butt was killing me. I am just not riding this thing too good.

left arm clutch arm my forearms are sore after riding and if clutching alot, the clutch is more more stiff then the old bike. I have a hard time removing my left glove somtimes it so sore. I just need to go out and ride it more. seat reshaping will do me some good too.

I have come to the conclusion I cant ride worth a damn anymore, not like a year ago anyway. Somthing has changed in my riding style I am slow now.

I have come to the conclusion I cant ride worth a damn anymore, not like a year ago anyway. Somthing has changed in my riding style I am slow now.

This becomes an issue when your older than the dirt you land on! :pinocchio:

No really, that crash will take some confidence out of you for sure! :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Miguel take care with the seat skin.

This seat is manufactured with an entirely new process that allows the seat cover/skin to form to some weird shapes as it is bonded to the foam underlayment. This is what allows the seat shape that you see, that unique triangle and the dimpled pattern.

Might be worhtwhile to check again and see if there is any offering from Sargent yet...

• Forum CEO

Miguel take care with the seat skin.

This seat is manufactured with an entirely new process that allows the seat cover/skin to form to some weird shapes as it is bonded to the foam underlayment. This is what allows the seat shape that you see, that unique triangle and the dimpled pattern.

Might be worhtwhile to check again and see if there is any offering from Sargent yet...

Most of the seats I have used are bonded with glue, it looks like they put the vinyl in the mold than set up the foam over it into the same mold then attached the plastic over that. I already removed part of the skin and dished out a good portion of foam cause I just cant take this seat as it is. I took a large sanding pad with 100 grit paper and smoothed away allot of foam. But before I did that I took a grinder and grinded off from the back and took off about and inch. all in all I took out about 2 inches from the center to and around the area where my pelvis sits. Remember I broke my pelvis 5 years ago I cant take an uncomfortable seat too long. The problem is it looks comfortable, the foam is very stiff however its flat and so your pelvis sort of digs in at the two bottom bones and you get pressure points. I formed a bucket to spread the load out better and have my weight spread out over more of the foam. the sanding disk did a good job of that and no it doesn't look so fancy anymore. I left the skin on over the triangle and the pillion part, then I am going to paint some contact cement on it to stick the vinyl skin back on, then start stapling it back on.

One last modification first before I stick the skin back on This just a little carbon fiber

936-WSHMATV.jpg

Most of the seats I have used are bonded with glue, it looks like they put the vinyl in the mold than set up the foam over it into the same mold then attached the plastic over that. I already removed part of the skin and dished out a good portion of foam cause I just cant take this seat as it is. I took a large sanding pad with 100 grit paper and smoothed away allot of foam. But before I did that I took a grinder and grinded off from the back and took off about and inch. all in all I took out about 2 inches from the center to and around the area where my pelvis sits. Remember I broke my pelvis 5 years ago I cant take an uncomfortable seat too long. The problem is it looks comfortable, the foam is very stiff however its flat and so your pelvis sort of digs in at the two bottom bones and you get pressure points. I formed a bucket to spread the load out better and have my weight spread out over more of the foam. the sanding disk did a good job of that and no it doesn't look so fancy anymore. I left the skin on over the triangle and the pillion part, then I am going to paint some contact cement on it to stick the vinyl skin back on, then start stapling it back on.

One last modification first before I stick the skin back on This just a little carbon fiber

936-WSHMATV.jpg

Well I forgot about the pelvis issue, so I was wondering how and why was that seat bothering you.

I also have hip and pelvis issues, so I was pleasantly surprised when I sat on the VFR12 at the IMS show in DC. It was literally the only bike that I wanted to sit on at the show for more than about a minute.

I guess that is just more reason for me to find a demo days or work out the day trip to get a test ride.

• 1 year later...
  • Forum CEO

So after over a couple of seasons riding the veefalo, the heated grips have failed to work properly. Heating up initially but then the heat dropping off dramatically. I sent an email to symtec about the heat demons and this was my response. Pleased they are going to stand behind the product even after so much time has passed.

Heated Grip controller

Hi Miguel,

I would like to send you another controller. Can you forward me your telephone number and full address?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Joe

JOE BAUER │Product Development Manager

Symtec, Inc.

124 Osborne Rd. Fridley, MN 55432 │ w. 763.231.4763│ f. 763.571.9194

Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 11:04 PM

To: sales

Subject: Metric Kit

I bought a heat demon outside the grip heater kit for my vfr1200 over a year ago, Part Number 21107.

The grips heat up initially, and to a good setting but after some time riding in cold conditions the heat drops off even at the highest setting? Not sure what could the cause of that, perhaps the controller or a thermostat in the grip itself, but it makes for some numb cold rides! I would like some advice on what could be causing it, I used the instructions and wired the controller the way it was spelled out in the instructions.

Miguel Mayo

vfrdiscussion.com

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Have I read this correctly? The Ohlins 5th Gen shock is a direct fit on the 7th Gen?

Spent Last Night working on the bike

So Baileyrock was kind enough to remove the Ohlins Shock off the Old Girl and send it to me a few weeks back, I had hopes that it would fit since it seemed it mounted the same as the older 5th and 6th Gen bikes. The only concern was clearance and if it needed to be modded for length? To my surprise the OEM shock is the same free length and size as the 5th Gen Ohlins I had on the old girl. It was a simple bolt up job! I only had to remove the slip on to get to the linkage. Boy they beefed up the linkage triangles for the 1200 thats for sure its almost 40% thicker! Thanks BR for doing all that tear down work on the old girl.

gallery_491_5422_654898.jpg
The Ohlins off the Old Girl YES its the same size!!

gallery_491_5422_452925.jpg
Ohlins Install Where to put the remote reservoir?

gallery_491_5422_771236.jpg
This is the only place I could find to mount the reservoir - the hose was a bit long too

• Member Contributer

Yes

Have I read this correctly? The Ohlins 5th Gen shock is a direct fit on the 7th Gen?

That'll save me a lot of money then! :beer:

Not necessary - the question is does the 5th gen use the same spring rate, compression, rebound and stroke? I doubt because 1200 is heavier and more powerful and

could be using completely different linkage.

I have customized the 800 swingarm and shock to my vmax1200 belt drive - ended with a custom cbr 929 shock because 800 shock was just too weak.

My vmx1200 would be about the same weight and power as 7th gen.

• Member Contributer

Of course you can. Depends what are you willing to achieve?

Better suspension, cos most on here reckon the 1200 needs it. TBH, it was well down my list of mods but as I happen to be dismantling my 5th Gen and it has an Ohlins fitted, it made me consider it a more immediate mod. It does need a rebuild before I would use it though.

Plus I can adjust the preload for when Mrs Skids goes on the back.

I would suggest to try the stock suspension first - its really ok.

Hard to say how this shock would behave? You need to wait till the owners of this setup chime in. I would say it should be ok riding solo.

However, with Mrs Skids and luggage(read fully loaded) it might be just not that simple.

• Member Contributer

I would suggest to tray the stock suspension first - its really ok.

Hard to say how this shock would behave? You need to wait till the owners of this setup chime in. I would say it should be ok riding solo.

However, with Mrs Skids and luggage(read fully loaded) it might be just not that simple.

Roger, will do!

Archived