Completed....Custom HID Conversion Kit

Tightwad

Bulbdustcover.jpg

Kits are now being sold, visit www.wiremybike.com to order your kit. Kits are available in 3000K, 4500K, 5000K and 6000K. Cost is $135 shipped in the US, international shipping rates vary somewhat.

Just a little sneak peak into a project Coderighter and I have been working on. By far the best HID kit we have found, then custom fit to be 100% plug and play. More to come, but enjoy the video!

Ripper has made this nifty little instructional photo montage:

Latch and Delay relays are available separately for those who wish to have that functionality available. $24 for the Delay, $29 for the Latch, plus shipping. These can be ordered from www.wiremybike.com along with the kits

Directions:

Installing is pretty easy, once you get the front fairing off...that job is a bit daunting at first, but after having done it a couple times it gets easy:

1. Remove of front fairing per the manuals instructions...don't forget to unplug turn signals, high and low beams, and the temperature sender
  2. Remove gauge cover (black piece)...push from the back side of the pins that keep it in place to avoid damage...steady pressure will push them out. This is not 100% required, but I found it much easier to work that way.
  3. Remove left and right screw from the back of the gauge cluster...this is where the new relays will mount:
    rewiringtheLowBeamrelay.jpg
  4. Attach Latch and Delay relays...Latch on the right (facing the bike), delay on the left:
    FrontViewofRelayandconnectormounts.jpg
  5. Remove the orange wire from the kit, and route it from the battery, under the tank along the frame, up to the front so the female end is near the headlight relays. I found it best to zip tie it to other wiring to help keep it in place. Note my wire is a bit different as I have done other mods...picture is only a representation of the routing:
    HIDBatteryWire.jpg
  6. Don't connect it to the battery until the end, but be sure it fits and the fuse is accessible.
  7. Remove low beam relay connector...Low beam relay is the relay on the right of the three...you can see the spot where it goes in the first picture above. It might be easier to unhook the relay rubber housing then reattach it later as I did.
    *EDIT* on a 2007 model, the Low Beam relay was on the left...look for the white/black wires to verify the correct relay
  8. Using a paper clip or jewelers screwdriver, release the tabs holding the Red/Black wire in place (bottom right if looking into the connector, bottom left if looking in from the wire side). Replace this wire with the Orange wire from the kit (which has an inline fuse and connects to the battery).
  9. Using the heat shrink provided in the kit, cover the red/black connection and heat using a heat gun, hair dryer, or lighter (no direct contact with the flame). The heat shrink is dual walled and has a glue compound that will waterproof the wire nicely, and protect it from shorting out
  10. Remove the White/Black dual wire connection and replace it with the Blue and Red wire dual connection from the kit. There is no need to cover the white/black wire connection (but you can if you wish)
  11. Replace Low Beam relay in it holder
  12. Route the green ground wire down the neck of the bike, and ground it underneath, next to the brake hose:
    Grouded.jpg
  13. Zip tie the original low beam connectors out of the way:
    Securingtheoldplug.jpg
  14. When finished, the front should look like this:
    TopViewofRelayMounting.jpg

The next step is replacing the bulbs and mounting the ballasts/ignitor parts....very easy:

Starting point:

Startingtoretrofit.jpg

1. Remove the dust boots:
    removingdustcover.jpg
  2. Remove the bulbs by depressing the clips and unhooking them...don't touch the glass!:
    Springcliprelease.jpg
  3. Side by side they look like this:
    HIDComparedtostockbulb.jpg
  4. Remove HID bulb from protective housing, and install:
    Bulbinstalled.jpg
  5. Reinstall dust covers:
    Bulbdustcover.jpg
  6. Be sure you slide the dust cover onto the base of the bulb...and dust/moisture getting in will shorten the bulb life

That does it for the bulbs...now on to installing the ballasts. I chose to install them on either side of the headlights...and to do so I removed a couple of the screws so I could slide the headlights inward...this helps keep the doublesided table from sticking in the wrong spot. Choice of mounting location is up to you, I am just sharing my results. Please take care with the right side ballast, it has to go as far forward as possible to avoid hitting the fuse panel on install (That is why I took the headlights out to install:

1. The chunky part I mounted here...mirrored on the other side:
    Ballastleftside.jpg
  2. The ballast I mounted here:
    Fittingtheignitor.jpg
  3. A completed view of the left side:
    BallastandIgnitortestfit.jpg
  4. Connect the bulbs to the ballasts, then route the ballast connectors towards the middle, where it will match up to the connectors on the bike:
    Viewoftheback.jpg

And that's it...the bike is ready to go back together!

Attach the nose...connecting the headlight you want to come on first to the one marked "Headlight 1" on the wiring tags. Don't forget to reconnect the temp sender and the high beams. Once connected, looking down from the top looks like this:

HIDRelaysMounted.jpg

At this time you can connect the orange wire to the battery and test the lights...then continue to reinstall the body work as directed in the manual.

Hope this explains it!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Make that two customers waiting! Wow - that is sweet . Presuming it's the same quality as the VFRness - it'll be top notch. The mirrors look like they might be the GSXR's. I thought that Darth Bling had sold all of the adapters that he had made for them. Anyone have a line on if there are any more of those to be had (maybe another production run) for the 6th gen?

Also - there was an update by Robin the Boy Wonder a week or two ago about some mounts that would adapt CBR 1000RR mirrors - but not sure if that's getting any traction.

The mirrors are the Emgo GSXR mirrors, with the Darth Bling mounts.

Not mentioned in the video is the fact that the lights don't fire until the bike has started. Doing this saves wear and tear on the bulbs because the starter would kill the lights and they would have to fire twice on startup.

• Member Contributer

Will this plug and play Kit have a connection for future GSXR expansion :)

Any idea when you will be selling them and will you choices of brightness, and the all mighty ???? prices...

• Member Contributer

I'll send you the money now if you'll also have a 5th Gen version available.

• Member Contributer

I'm not in the market, but I wonder about mixing a standard H4 bulb with a HID, so one side is still 'normal' and the other is a HID. That way you've still got lighting with the key on / engine off and you've mixed the light color of both to show where you're going. Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I'm not in the market, but I wonder about mixing a standard H4 bulb with a HID, so one side is still 'normal' and the other is a HID. That way you've still got lighting with the key on / engine off and you've mixed the light color of both to show where you're going. Thoughts?

Actually, high beam circuit is unchanged, so if for some reason you need lights and the engine is not running, you can simply turn the key 'on' and hit the high beams.

The typical life of a HID bulb is about 10 times that of a halogen. However, that bulb life is shorten by power cycling when the bike is started. This is not only hard on the bulb but the ballast also. The HID doesn't have a filament (which is the main reason for the long life), it's a tube that is filled with gas and has two electrodes When the light is powered, the ballast has to produce a 20,000 volt (typical) arc across the to electrodes to 'fire' the bulb. After the bulb is lite, the voltage is reduced as it warms, until it settles out around 80 volts. Repeated 'firing' of the bulb doesn't give the bulb or ballast a chance to recover from the previous start up. This is the reason for the custom relay in the kit that doesn't activate until the engine starts, it prevents this unnecessary on-off cycling.

• Member Contributer

I'm in too, I need another quick project! I wouldn't mind the mirrors and Darth's adapter too. So much for sleeping on them over the years...

if i have a flasher relay tha works with hi beams (flashes high beams when you flip them on in daylight), is there anyreason this wont work with that circuit? you said hi's stay the same, so i assume not, but...

• Member Contributer

if i have a flasher relay tha works with hi beams (flashes high beams when you flip them on in daylight), is there anyreason this wont work with that circuit? you said hi's stay the same, so i assume not, but...

Shouldn't be a problem but before I answer 100%, you say when you flip them on in 'daylight', what determines 'daylight'. How do you stop them from flashing at night if you just want plain old high beams?

The high beam functionality is not changed, but the Low Beam relay wiring is...so if you have done any modifications they will have to be taken into account. I had to undo my previous mod to utilize the high beam portion of the H4 bulb for this to work.

5th gen takes a different bulb, and would require some pretty big changes....high beam would have to be addressed. There is an option to have HID with high beam in them (moves the bulb into a different reflection zone to achieve high beam functionality). Not saying it can't be done of course...

Man, you guys are killin' me! I just finished up with my Part 2 Mods, and now this. :beatdeadhorse: Questions, what wattage are you using, 35 or 55 watt bulbs, and what's the brightness? 4,3K would be good. That would be about white. Not blue or purple. Next question. Would I put this in my Part 3 Mods, or Part 4 Mods?

Man, you guys are killin' me! I just finished up with my Part 2 Mods, and now this. :fing02: Questions, what wattage are you using, 35 or 55 watt bulbs, and what's the brightness? 4,3K would be good. That would be about white. Not blue or purple. Next question. Would I put this in my Part 3 Mods, or Part 4 Mods?

To use this as a power savings, we went with the 35W bulbs. 3 times more light than the halogen bulbs should be sufficient....right? We also opted for the 5000K color, but any color would be available given a bit more lead time.

Shouldn't be a problem but before I answer 100%, you say when you flip them on in 'daylight', what determines 'daylight'. How do you stop them from flashing at night if you just want plain old high beams?

it has a simply light sensor so it flashes during the day and is off and therefore allows hi beam opps at night.

if i remember correctly, it simply plugged on the back of ONE of the high beams and when power is applied ot it, if the sensor sees daylight, then it modulates power. if dark, then it simply allows power through like normal. pretty simple.

sounds like this shouldnt impact your deal any.

• Member Contributer

it has a simply light sensor so it flashes during the day and is off and therefore allows hi beam opps at night.

if i remember correctly, it simply plugged on the back of ONE of the high beams and when power is applied ot it, if the sensor sees daylight, then it modulates power. if dark, then it simply allows power through like normal. pretty simple.

sounds like this shouldnt impact your deal any.

Yep, not a problem. Should work just fine.

ANy ballpark ideas on price for the HID kit and wiring? Need to start squirreling away for this one!! :mellow:

Jon (Coderighter) and I are finalizing the total setup...price will depend on any additional changes that need to be made...but I would Ballpark ~ $125 for the kit. US shipping would be free, Canada gets to pay an upcharge (lucky you!)

ANy ballpark ideas on price for the HID kit and wiring? Need to start squirreling away for this one!! :fing02:

Jon (Coderighter) and I are finalizing the total setup...price will depend on any additional changes that need to be made...but I would Ballpark ~ $125 for the kit. US shipping would be free, Canada gets to pay an upcharge (lucky you!)

I was expecting it to be in the $250 - $350 range so if you can hit the $125 mark that would be awesome. Shipping to Canada isn't that expensive for small parcels, it just takes awhile longer - and using US Postal service is the best way to go to help us Canucks avoid paying duty/customs.

One more question - I'd like to see the output of the lights with the bike on level ground, in the pitch dark, pointing at a dark wall. That would show the light pattern, and if you showed the bike from a distance to the wall - it'll show the spread of the light pattern.

Looking forward to this mod!!

Archived