Completed....Custom HID Conversion Kit

Tightwad

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

55 Watt and 4500K for me.

as others have asked , this depends on the cut off pattern.

Tom

I took my bike out last night to try and get some pictures...my camera washes it out more than I would like, so i will wait to see if Jon gets better shots. I did notice some stray light at the bottom, but nothing that would shine on road I am watching while riding (it seems to be down by the fender). The minimal stray light at the side looks similar to what I got with the Halogen bulbs. I also tried parking the bike and walking towards it. The light at even my 5’8” level was not blinding. If I squatted down it got much brighter.

I will not try to sell anyone on this kit…gotta love it before you buy it in my opinion…if you aren’t sure, hold off until you get the reaction from others (price would be the only thing that changes, and that won’t be much, initial pricing reflects some shipping savings by bulk purchasing).

The high beam functionality is not changed, but the Low Beam relay wiring is...so if you have done any modifications they will have to be taken into account. I had to undo my previous mod to utilize the high beam portion of the H4 bulb for this to work.

5th gen takes a different bulb, and would require some pretty big changes....high beam would have to be addressed. There is an option to have HID with high beam in them (moves the bulb into a different reflection zone to achieve high beam functionality). Not saying it can't be done of course...

But the 5th gen takes a pair of H4's and just uses both the high and low filaments. If you have the HID bulbs that move the bulb capsule to retain the high and low beam functionality then it should work a treat.

In fact I'd be in for the kit and a VFRness in a flash.

I'm currently running standard car H4's with snipped tabs, and would love to get more light from less watts. If the bulb moves for the high beam I can probably keep the flash to pass switch I added, which would be all sorts of cool.

Man, you guys are killin' me! I just finished up with my Part 2 Mods, and now this. :fing02: Questions, what wattage are you using, 35 or 55 watt bulbs, and what's the brightness? 4,3K would be good. That would be about white. Not blue or purple. Next question. Would I put this in my Part 3 Mods, or Part 4 Mods?

To use this as a power savings, we went with the 35W bulbs. 3 times more light than the halogen bulbs should be sufficient....right? We also opted for the 5000K color, but any color would be available given a bit more lead time.

Well the 5000k would get me slammed by the local LEOS, the state-ies and bounced come inspection time. 4300k is okay as it is just to the yellow side of white, which the state DOT has to accept.

This kit with the dual beam (bi-xenon) bulbs and LED's in all the other 'external' lights would pretty much free up enough watts for me to go with just about any size HHO Cell from the company.

Oh yeah, work out the dual beam part and I'm definitely getting it.

I dual beam kit is available as you said, but I question snipping the tabs. Flash to Pass with HID isn't a great idea either as the bulbs can take up to a minute to reach full power...they can be quite blue until then (it seems to fade off).

I have 12 kits in production, about even split between 4500 and 5000. I have an H7 kit as well for someone who wanted to use them for high beams...that kit will be ready later.

• Member Contributer

I took my bike out last night to try and get some pictures...my camera washes it out more than I would like, so i will wait to see if Jon gets better shots. I did notice some stray light at the bottom, but nothing that would shine on road I am watching while riding (it seems to be down by the fender). The minimal stray light at the side looks similar to what I got with the Halogen bulbs. I also tried parking the bike and walking towards it. The light at even my 5'8" level was not blinding. If I squatted down it got much brighter.

I will not try to sell anyone on this kit…gotta love it before you buy it in my opinion…if you aren't sure, hold off until you get the reaction from others (price would be the only thing that changes, and that won't be much, initial pricing reflects some shipping savings by bulk purchasing).

Just ask Killboy, he says even during the day they mess up his cameras(HID)

With regards to H7s, what about the fact that you usually switch them on and off more frequently; ie. approaching traffic and then back on once they're gone by?

Wouldn't that be cycling them more often, as well as the delay factor?

Also, I'm looking for the color that best matches this . They make the headlights look yellow in comparison. I think I'll go Xenon 5K for the high beams.

th_DSCF1438.jpg

th_DSCF1543.jpg

Greg :laughing6-hehe:

With regards to H7s, what about the fact that you usually switch them on and off more frequently; ie. approaching traffic and then back on once they're gone by?

Wouldn't that be cycling them more often, as well as the delay factor?

Also, I'm looking for the color that best matches this . They make the headlights look yellow in comparison. I think I'll go Xenon 5K for the high beams.

Greg :laughing6-hehe:

COOL :excl: <--My face when I saw Greg's steed.. They must see this thing coming from MILES away! I have been contemplating the this HID kit though, my housemate has a AUS$600 kit in his car, and it is PHENOMENAL. Sounds cool when they are warming up too! I might have to put my name down for a kit also, just let me check my spendings account...

I would not personally choose HID for high beam, but the person who requested it commutes in a rural area...and I can't resist figuring out how to do it...

Any flak from having a red light pointing forward? What about non-amber running lights? I dig the dual color bulbs!

• Member Contributer

OK you said you are making first rounds of kits... how do i sign up to be a guinea pig

Here's my dumb question - can the kit(s) you are developing be made to work with (non VFR) projector headlights? I know very little about these things...

Here's my dumb question - can the kit(s) you are developing be made to work with (non VFR) projector headlights? I know very little about these things...

Which part do you want to use with the projector lights? The Latch and Delay parts? I am sure it can be done, what is the application?

In addition to wiring the kits, I also need to write the install instructions...hoping to create a pictorial in PDF format that takes as much guesswork out of the written instructions as possible (VFRness owners, I have listened).

For those who just can't wait to order...the kits are now on my website: www.wiremybike.com

I do not have all the options that will be possible up yet, but the 3 basic kits are there. 4500K, 5000K, and for a $10 upcharge 6000K (I didn't order any, so I would have to get them coming). Pictures will be coming as I prepare the first production kits, the development kit is not representative of the finished product.

As you begin ordering, please keep a couple things in mind:

• The kits are not yet finished, so they won't ship until next week at the earliest
  • By the end of next week I will have been able to ship a total of 5 kits...so first come first served
  • I bought an even distribution of 4500K and 5000K...so if one is more heavily waited there may be a delay in getting more parts...this should be minimal
  • These are for off-road use only, as they are not DOT approved

I was unable to secure bulk pricing on some of the parts needed, and the shipping out is higher than I thought it would be, so the price has risen slightly. I will be asking $135 for the two popular options, and $145 for 6000K (or other colors). I am sorry if this extra expense makes it unattractive. Other options will be coming (H7 bulbs for high beam, 55 watt bulbs, etc)

Warranty on the HID portions of the kit (bulbs and ballast) is lifetime through the manufacturer, however I will have to handle all warranty claims as the warranty is for the original purchaser. No refunds will be available, exchanges only. Parts will have to be returned at your expense to be checked prior to replacements being sent out. Warranty on the proprietary electrical parts (Latch and Delay) is one year.

Any flak from having a red light pointing forward? What about non-amber running lights? I dig the dual color bulbs!

Red lights pointing forward will get you in trouble - its only for emergency vehicles as per the DOT. Don't go red for forward.

Amber forward is fine.

Which part do you want to use with the projector lights? The Latch and Delay parts? I am sure it can be done, what is the application?

Well firstly I have no idea what latch and delay refer to :fing02:

But to answer the second question - I bought an Aprilia RS250 headlight, then a Kawasaki Balius headlight, discovered that the internals (1 x normal reflector light and 1 x projector light on each) were identical, then took the projectors from each and fitted them into a CBR600F4 headlight housing. Still a work in progress like everything else I'm doing but if I can bump up at least one of the projectors output then I'm keen.

3 orders have been placed. 2 more will ship next week. After the first 5, the next should ship starting 7/14.

• Member Contributer

I suppose this might be of very limited interest but should light pattern not be acceptable to some of us would it be possible to just order the parts needed to have the lights on delay feature for use with the stock lamps?

TW,

Any luck on the picture of cutoff front?

Working on getting the requested pictures, Coderighter is planning to take some this weekend.

I suppose this might be of very limited interest but should light pattern not be acceptable to some of us would it be possible to just order the parts needed to have the lights on delay feature for use with the stock lamps?

The lights on delay feature is currently the bottleneck in the process. After the kit demand has been satisfied we can explore the individual parts.

Just thinking out loud a bit - The clear part of the 6th gen headlamps do not have any photometric "tricks" built into them to alter the output - it's pretty much all done vis avis the reflectors in the housing. As long as the light source is aiming backwards toward the reflector - I'm certain that the output will be stunning.

When I had my 03 Maxima - its HID system was very good. It also had the burner pointed at the reflectors, and the output came through the clear lens.

Can't wait to see some photos of the output results.

I took some pictures....camera does weird things with HID light, but these show the beam against a wall, farther away from a wall, longer range....plus one looking over the handle bars

Closeup2.jpg

Midrange1.jpg

Longrange1.jpg

Fromoverthewindshield.jpg

Archived