Completed....Custom HID Conversion Kit

Tightwad

I am finally shipping the first hi-lo H4 kit (the bulbs wanted were backordered). I totally reworked the DDM wiring...obviously intended for a car as the bulbs were 5 feet apart easily. After shortening everything and upgrading the fuse to a sealed unit and wiring the grounds to the battery instead of their cheesy setup I think it looks pretty good. The first picture is the custom kit including Latch and Delay relays, power and ground wires to the battery and showing the bulbs and ballasts. The second picture is the original wiring they provide next to my wiring.

This is a much simpler install than the 6th gen except for figuring out where to put all the parts/pieces. I like how clean the 6th gen install is but I like how simple it could be...

post-11291-0-78622000-1334808011.jpg

post-11291-0-99666100-1334808036.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have two H4 Dual Beam kits in pre-production (that's for you 5th gen folks!) the bulbs are 5000K.

I also have an H7 RC51 kit in pre-production. This is a different beast as the low/high beams are two separate bulbs.

I know it's been awhile since I posted but did you ever finish anything with the RC51 kit you had in preproduction? I've spent the last 6 months doing a 96 CBR900rr restomod so I really haven't had any time for the RC. I would still be interested in the RC51 kit if it is the plug and play type you came up with for the VFR's.

Thanks,

Nick

• 1 year later...

Wow Tightwad, you're an artist! I wish I had discovered your site before I ordered directly from Powerlet yesterday, could have saved me $30!

I stumbled across this fascinating thread while looking for a HID kit for my '02 VTEC (UK/Euro Spec afaik). Well, I was actually Googling for info on which bulb standard I needed, but I'm totally sold on your kit after reading the whole thread, not to mention discovering what appears to be a very knowledgeable and personable group of VFR riders (as if there's any other kind)!

I do have a couple of questions, the first of which is, are we sure the Euro VTECs take H7 bulbs for the dip-beams? I don't have access to my bike, or workshop manual, at the moment (I'm deployed with the military), and the internet seems to provide conflicting reports! If I can get this nailed down before I go home I'll definitely be ordering a kit, while I'm accessible to USPS FPO.

I was looking at your switched fuseblock, and was wondering whether it would be possible to use the 'latch' relay at that point instead, thus inhibiting power to all switched circuits until the voltage indicated that the engine was running? Not only would this remove the need to site that relay at the front of the bike, in fact do away with an extra relay altogether, but also stop cranking amps being 'stolen' by heated clothing/Pro-Oiler/phone chargers etc. While I am 'lucky' enough to have a bike that is just old enough to still have a headlight switch, the latch relay takes away the element of human error, and also plays into my fetish for automation!

Actually, on that topic, does this mod still allow the headlights to be switched off via the switch?

Thanks for your great work on developing what appears to be a fantastic product, and also for any help you can offer with my questions.

• 1 month later...

This has been a hard decision to make, but after 3.5 years of making these HID Headlight kits I am going to quit. I have sold quite a few of them but never tried to make it a focus...and I need to reduce the amount of stuff I keep parts for etc.

I currently have the Ballasts to make 6 more kits. I also have the following bulbs that will/can be part of those kits:

6Th Gen - non-European

H4-4500K - 1 set

H4-6000K - 1 set

6th Gen European

H7-3000K - 1 set

H7-4500K - 1 set

5th Gen

H4 hi/lo 4500K - 1 set

H4 hi/lo 6000K - 1 set

Other bulbs:

H8/H9/H11 5000K - 1 set

Additionally I will be placing 1 more order with the supplier (DDM tuning) for any sets I don't have the parts to make...this will be the last chance to get this custom VFR Headlight kit. Please contact me for ordering details, or check them out on my site www.wiremybike.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

For those interested in doing there own installs, I will continue to make the relays that prevent the ballasts from being energized until the bike starts. The relays also now include a "override" in case you want lights before the bike is running. You can also use the "override" to hold the ballast energized when the high beams are on. PM me for details.

• 4 weeks later...

I am down to my last few kits...ended up having to order some more bits to help people out. The full kits contain a pair of custom relays, wiring harness designed for the VFR and a modified DDM tuning HID kit.

currently I have:

1 - H4-6000K

1 - H4-5000K

1 - H7-3000K

1 - H9-5000K

1 - H4-5000K hi/lo (5th gen)

1 - H4-6000K hi/lo (5th gen)

These are available on my site, as are the relays separately(for now)

As Jon mentioned he has the relays for the delayed start (minimal modification required to use) available. To use both relays (voltage latch and timed delay for second bulb) there is an extensive wiring harness required, which is the major portion of my kit.

Thanks Tightwad for all the hard work. I just ordered the h4 5k kit for my 6th gen.

Russ

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have a couple brand new HID kits from DDM tuning that I won't be using. Make me an offer via pm if interested, then contact Tightwad and Coderighter for the other bits.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple brand new HID kits from DDM tuning that I won't be using. Make me an offer via pm if interested, then contact Tightwad and Coderighter for the other bits.

If you go this route, the connectors for the lights will need to be modified (by default they have a H4 connector on them but we change that to a 2 pin connector).

Seb - what color temp are the lights?

Other than Seb's lights which i can make wiring kits for, the only lights I have left are 2 Hi/Lo kits that would fit a 5th gen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm going to convert my VFR to Cree LED 35W a piece for about 80 USD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JB51D6K/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

41OZTzLWpGL._SY300_.jpg

This is cheaper, doesn't need delays and LED's last a lot longer then Xenon, also I'm told it has more Lumen then Xenon.

These are sold as Car/Truck, but they also fit bikes.

I hope to be able to make some pictures next week.

I tried Xenon but wasn't happy with the result.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Have a question for you electrical gurus. I have a bike with Tightwad's HID kit - 07 RWB. Everything works perfectly. I added a hella horn (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78374-replacement-horn/page-4) and wired it up this way shown below. Everything works great except that now I have one issue. When the bike is running the left HID comes on after the voltage hits the right spot and the R/S light comes on 5 sec. later. When the bike is not running but the key is on the HID's are off. I have the horn grounded to the fairing stay since it was close. If I hit the horn with the bike not running the left HID lights up. Any ideas what could be causing the HID to fire up?

Thanks,

Nick

i0FW6HITCIY7u.jpg

• Member Contributer

The power change is signaling the HID's to fire . The current rating on relay for the HID's are a little low. You could increase the current rating on the HID's relay. I had to do that on my 03, when i installed the SH775 R\R on the 03 the HID's would fire as soon as i turned the key on so I email Tightwad he recommended the next higher current rated relay and it solved the problem.

Have a question for you electrical gurus. I have a bike with Tightwad's HID kit - 07 RWB. Everything works perfectly. I added a hella horn (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78374-replacement-horn/page-4) and wired it up this way shown below. Everything works great except that now I have one issue. When the bike is running the left HID comes on after the voltage hits the right spot and the R/S light comes on 5 sec. later. When the bike is not running but the key is on the HID's are off. I have the horn grounded to the fairing stay since it was close. If I hit the horn with the bike not running the left HID lights up. Any ideas what could be causing the HID to fire up?

Thanks,

Nick

i0FW6HITCIY7u.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks Switchblade. I kind of figured it was something like that. Not really that big of a deal just wanted to make sure I didn't screw something up. I'll give Tightwad an email..

Nick

Archived