Completed....Custom HID Conversion Kit

Tightwad

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you guys find things that will help enhance the instructions (pictures or explanations) please let me know...I am TERRIBLE at writing instructions!

Just a little sneak peak into a project Coderighter and I have been working on. By far the best HID kit we have found, then custom fit to be 100% plug and play. More to come, but enjoy the video!

Is this kit only for a 6th Gen?

As you guys find things that will help enhance the instructions (pictures or explanations) please let me know...I am TERRIBLE at writing instructions!

my $0.02. red circle the part of the picture ur referring to (if applicable). this is especially helpful for brain dead ppl like me. for example, in pic1 and 2 u cud red circle the 2 screws to show the latch/relay before/after they were installed..

• Member Contributer

Oooh! Me want!

Thanks guys - really appreciate you giving me something else to spend on.

I'm probable, especially after those who came before me chime in on how wonderful these are.

Though I have to say, the vfr's lighting has to be one of the best I have seen, pun intended. But my eyes aren't getting any younger...

Instructions look pretty straightforward.

Tightwad - I've found including length of time to complete to be helpful. That way folks can plan accordingly, and know that something may not be right if it's taking 6 hrs to complete an estimated 1 hr job, or an estimated 12 hr job might be best farmed out or done over a couple days/weekends. Of course the standard YMMV disclaimer applies.

Awesome job both of you!

• Member Contributer

Your in luck... I love to take pictures, so I'll be sure to snap a few you can use.

• Member Contributer

I am quite interested in this kit but I have a 5th Gen, what happens with the kit when I only have 2 bulbs to replace instead of 4?? Do I just get low beams that are terrifically bright and no high beams??

Jason

This kit is 6th gen only, due to the different bulb design on the 5th gen, as well as the need for a high beam option. Multiple people have requested a kit, so that may be next on the list.

The time it will take for each step is going to be tough to determine, as will the overall time...I don't think anyone wants to hear "92 hours" which is about the time I spent getting everything figured out....and because I did it piecemeal (and multiple times) it is hard to say what a clean install would take. This is where those who do a clean install will be able to chime in hopefully!

I would say give yourself at least 1/2 a day, depending on how experienced you are with removing the body work. Once the bodywork is off it takes maybe an hour to reconfigure. After that it is just the time to put it back together.

• Member Contributer

I am quite interested in this kit but I have a 5th Gen, what happens with the kit when I only have 2 bulbs to replace instead of 4?? Do I just get low beams that are terrifically bright and no high beams??

Jason

Yes that is basically it, unless you get Bi-Xenon bulbs. However.... Bi-Xenon bulbs use electro-magnetics to switch between high and low beam. They are available but the moving part leaves to much to go wrong IMO.

• Member Contributer

Got mine installed last night. Unbelievable difference, one of the ways to tell is when you apply the high beams it almost 100’ before you can see any signs of the high beam light. GOOD JOB

:laughing6-hehe:

Got mine installed last night. Unbelievable difference, one of the ways to tell is when you apply the high beams it almost 100’ before you can see any signs of the high beam light. GOOD JOB

:fing02:

Any notes/tips for those installing? How long do you think it took total?

Ripper noted his 2007 had the OEM relays reversed from mine (Low Beam on left, not right)....that has been edited in the instructions above. This is probably a common difference. Wire colors were as specified.

• Member Contributer

Ripper noted his 2007 had the OEM relays reversed from mine (Low Beam on left, not right)....that has been edited in the instructions above. This is probably a common difference. Wire colors were as specified.

Correct, you just need to make sure that you are working on the relay that has two white wires leading to a single pin with the Red/Black wire just below it. As long as you are working on that relay/harness your good. I also found that the mounting location for the ballast parts did not clear on the right side of the bike because of the fuse box on that side. I just moved it to the lower section of the cowl and all is good.

Having a full faring bike sure makes me miss my naked bike.... when it comes to working on it that is!

I totally spaced on the pictures... I did this during work so I kept getting interrupted, but average install I would guess for a guy that knew how to remove the front faring would be three hours.

Other than the Relay confusion it is a straight forward install and on a toughness sale of 1 thru 10, I'd give it a 3 simply for the faring removal. Other than that it would be a 2.

I would maybe get pictures of the relay/harness with before and after pictures to show exactly the wires to be changed and also show someone who's never removed pins from a harness how to do that, pretty simple but that is one of those things that can ruin an otherwise good day. Oh and the power wire could be just a tad longer.

Great Kit you've put together and sorry about the pics.

Noted on the Power wire, thanks! That is an easy adjustment to make...I tried to keep it short enough that it didn't have extra wire everywhere.

I just got off the phone, the replacement 4500K bulbs will be on their way to me by Friday...so turned around by Tuesday at the latest I hope! Sorry for the delay on those. I do have 3 sets of 5000K ready to go (after I fix the power wire length).

• Member Contributer

Got mine installed last night. Unbelievable difference, one of the ways to tell is when you apply the high beams it almost 100' before you can see any signs of the high beam light. GOOD JOB

:beatdeadhorse:

Any notes/tips for those installing? How long do you think it took total?

It took me 3.5 hours but I also too the opportunity to check all of my connectors and I ran a couple of extra ground

wires. Great instruction.

• Member Contributer

Noted on the Power wire, thanks! That is an easy adjustment to make...I tried to keep it short enough that it didn't have extra wire everywhere.

I just got off the phone, the replacement 4500K bulbs will be on their way to me by Friday...so turned around by Tuesday at the latest I hope! Sorry for the delay on those. I do have 3 sets of 5000K ready to go (after I fix the power wire length).

Power wire is long enough, I'd just like to have a bit (6 inches or so) more to allow more routing with the harness. Looking at your pics, my bike (07) did not have any wires that ran under the tank over the air box so I routed it with the harness that ran along the left side frame. It works and honestly I don't think you'd need to adjust every kit for it as my routing may be the cause. The optimal thing would be a power block up front allowing you to connect into that for the Hot wire and still have extra blocks for other future connections. This is probably what I will end up doing as I need to wire my GPS still.

I have some heavy duty 2 terminal blocks available. I was planning on making a ground kit to go with my Accessory Fuse Panel setup, so grounding can be done if preferred. They have two terminals, and I have a junction clip, and they use a #8 screw (ring type connection works). Probably run about $7 shipped alone, $4 with other stuff.

• Member Contributer

I have some heavy duty 2 terminal blocks available. I was planning on making a ground kit to go with my Accessory Fuse Panel setup, so grounding can be done if preferred. They have two terminals, and I have a junction clip, and they use a #8 screw (ring type connection works). Probably run about $7 shipped alone, $4 with other stuff.

I think that’s a good idea because I found that my grounding lug to the frame was corroded. And you mite not be bad idea to check your voltage output at the battery after installation. At idle and at 4000 rpm .

:biggrin:

So what you're saying is that you can't run it through to VFRness fusebus option? I'd be interested in seeing that layout of the terminal blocks/location on an ABS model.

Greg :biggrin:

So what you're saying is that you can't run it through to VFRness fusebus option? I'd be interested in seeing that layout of the terminal blocks/location on an ABS model.

Greg :rolleyes:

I haven't tried it on my bike....I will see if I can find a suitable location. My poor bike hasn't been dressed in months...

This kit is 6th gen only, due to the different bulb design on the 5th gen, as well as the need for a high beam option. Multiple people have requested a kit, so that may be next on the list.

Stupid question for you T. You keep saying that the 5th gen's have a different bulb, but you state that the 6th gen uses H4's in the low beams. .

I have H4's in my 5th gen and have for years. Not the Honda mutated H4's, but regular H4's.

Never did more than snip the bottom tabs off before.

If I was doing an H4 hid conversion I would cut the correct tab slots into the back of my headlight assembly rather than remove the tabs on the bulbs.

But then it would pretty much have to be the bi-xenon bulbs.

Oh and as for the flash to pass switch on my left pod, It powers the high beams without cutting power to the low beams. So as long as a 5th gen owner used a bi-xenon bulb, they would still be able to retain the quick flash.

How much for a bi-xenon kit for H4 bulb's in 4500 color?

I know its going to be more than the 135 for the low beam only kits.

• Member Contributer

Stupid question for you T. You keep saying that the 5th gen's have a different bulb, but you state that the 6th gen uses H4's in the low beams. .

I have H4's in my 5th gen and have for years. Not the Honda mutated H4's, but regular H4's.

Never did more than snip the bottom tabs off before.

If I was doing an H4 hid conversion I would cut the correct tab slots into the back of my headlight assembly rather than remove the tabs on the bulbs.

But then it would pretty much have to be the bi-xenon bulbs.

Oh and as for the flash to pass switch on my left pod, It powers the high beams without cutting power to the low beams. So as long as a 5th gen owner used a bi-xenon bulb, they would still be able to retain the quick flash.

How much for a bi-xenon kit for H4 bulb's in 4500 color?

I know its going to be more than the 135 for the low beam only kits.

Hope that works out for you, these lights are the shit! I've still not been able to get it out at night to check alignment and how they perform. But I can tell you that they make it look like the Sun is rising in my spare office. (yes I keep my bike in my office!)

I did put auto bulbs in my last bike without issue, which were Hi/Low H4's in stock form and I believe the auto bulbs were 9003's? Worked perfect and never had an issue.

It would be about $30 more for the dual beam H4, plus any adjustments needed for the kit to work...it would be somewhat complex from what I can tell. Best case would be to have a 5th gen local who wants to try it out.

It would be about $30 more for the dual beam H4, plus any adjustments needed for the kit to work...it would be somewhat complex from what I can tell. Best case would be to have a 5th gen local who wants to try it out.

Tight, If I was local, I'd be over there already.

I'll take a set if you can do it for $30 more.

Archived