Completed....Custom HID Conversion Kit

Tightwad

• Member Contributer

All orders placed to date have been shipped. I am also now able to sell the Relays (Latch and/or Delay) seperately, for those who already have HID or wish to use similar functionality with the OEM lights.

Latch = $29

Delay = $24

I also have relay connectors if needed....just need time to get everything up on my website...I am terrible at that!

Get ready for the Single light bi-xenon orders to "Trickle" in. I posted the kit on wristtwisters.com and a few of the guys are all over it.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All orders placed to date have been shipped. I am also now able to sell the Relays (Latch and/or Delay) seperately, for those who already have HID or wish to use similar functionality with the OEM lights.

Latch = $29

Delay = $24

I also have relay connectors if needed....just need time to get everything up on my website...I am terrible at that!

Get ready for the Single light bi-xenon orders to "Trickle" in. I posted the kit on wristtwisters.com and a few of the guys are all over it.

As soon as the kits I have invested in sell to those who indicated they wanted them, I will be able to try the next step (single kits and duel beam kits).

• Member Contributer

As soon as the kits I have invested in sell to those who indicated they wanted them, I will be able to try the next step (single kits and duel beam kits).

LOL... I totally understand what your going through. Been there done that!

PM's sent to each who indicated they were in, so everyone knows they are ready. I will order more lights when I get low, but for now I have at least 7 sets that can ship immediately.

Thanks to those who have already made the leap, this has been fun....and hopefully I will put my bike back together and ride!

Thanks to all who have ordered...I am now down to just 2 kits, either 4500K or 6000K...5000K is out of stock. I will do another run if people are interested.

• Member Contributer

Installed my kit today. Took about 2 hours start to finish. Only problem is where I mounted the throttle side ballast. It was hitting the fuse block when I tried to mount the front fairing again. I remembered this caution being mentioned earlier after I had already stuck the ballast to the fairing. Everything works as it should. I will get a chance to try the new lights in the next few days.

• Member Contributer

Latch = $29

Delay = $24

Do you think if and when you would do a single kit it would fit a 2000 RC51??

Thanks,

Nick

I am headed out of town for the rest of the week for a "mancation" with my son and other family members...but when I get back I will be available to discuss new options. Does the RC51 use a low beam and a high beam bulb (two bulbs total) or does it have just 1 bulb?

• Member Contributer

I installed my kit last night. It was absolutely perfect!! The fit and finish where as expected. Thanks again. I have a friend with a Blackbird, it should be a single light set up. I'll take a look and let you know, he'd almost definitely be in for a kit. Have a good mancation. I took one of those 3 weeks ago with my oldest at a Boy Scout camp. Nothing like seeing your 11 year old lay waste to some clay pidgeons with a shotgun... okay back to work.....

• Member Contributer

I am headed out of town for the rest of the week for a "mancation" with my son and other family members...but when I get back I will be available to discuss new options. Does the RC51 use a low beam and a high beam bulb (two bulbs total) or does it have just 1 bulb?

The RC51 uses 2 seperate lamps. Left lamp is the low beam - 1 bulb - (on all the time) and the right lamp - 1 bulb - only comes on for high beam. I'm just thinking of a HID for the low beam.

Have a good vacation...

NIck

I installed my kit last night. It was absolutely perfect!! The fit and finish where as expected. Thanks again. I have a friend with a Blackbird, it should be a single light set up. I'll take a look and let you know, he'd almost definitely be in for a kit. Have a good mancation. I took one of those 3 weeks ago with my oldest at a Boy Scout camp. Nothing like seeing your 11 year old lay waste to some clay pidgeons with a shotgun... okay back to work.....

My kit arrived yesterday and I started the install last night.

The kit looks great. I couldn't get the one low beam headlight connector to release.

Squeezing the tabs on the one connector did nothing at all. I ended up pulling the

boot off, unhooking the wire headlight retaining clip on one side and unscrewing the

wire retainer on the other side to pull out the bulb from the housing with the wires

still attached. It took another half hour to get the connector to release from the bulb.

I have the relays and bulbs installed. I still need to mount the ballasts and connect

the wires into the low beam relay.

Here comes my question. How do you release the low beam and battery wire contacts

from the low beam relay connector housing? The pictorial install in this thread says to

use a jewelers screwdriver or paperclip. I assume I insert it from the wire side of the

housing but on the sides or above and below the wide side or where.

Thanks for the help

The paper clip is inserted from the connector side, not the wire side. Looking at where the spade terminal goes in, you will notice a recess in the plastic part of the connector. If you slide something small, like a paperclip or tiny nail down that recess, it will depress the locking tab, allowing the wire and connector to slide out the back.

This is an example of the connector, you can see the locking tab sticking up. The recess you need to slide your paper clip into is at the bottom of the plastic part shown:

NL4P250K.jpg

• Member Contributer

Quick Question... can you take the reflector off of the HID bulbs? I did not but it 'looks' like it would increase the light output in the VFR's light assembly. It's probably there for a reason...

Quick Question... can you take the reflector off of the HID bulbs? I did not but it 'looks' like it would increase the light output in the VFR's light assembly. It's probably there for a reason...

Yes you can, but no you shouldn't. The reflector keeps the light from bouncing off the bottom of the housing and up into the eyes of oncoming traffic, among other things. Naturally doing so would also void your warranty...

ok... so I just got my 6th Gen VFR and was planning to do an HID kit for it... can I not do it the same way I did my other bike and just get a kit form DDMtuning.com? Is there sometihng special about these headlights that would make that option not work?

• Member Contributer

ok... so I just got my 6th Gen VFR and was planning to do an HID kit for it... can I not do it the same way I did my other bike and just get a kit form DDMtuning.com? Is there sometihng special about these headlights that would make that option not work?

100% Plug-in, Relays, Bulb Reflectors and supporting a fellow member! That's something special if you ask me?

• Member Contributer

100% Plug-in, Relays, Bulb Reflectors and supporting a fellow member! That's something special if you ask me?

Plus added features like delayed start, etc. Just read the first post. Tightwad's quality of workmanship is second to none as well.

I was a skeptic because of my concern with beam pattern, but I see that this kit includes a shield that deals with this issue. I will be buying one of these myself for a winter project.

• Member Contributer

Plus added features like delayed start, etc. Just read the first post. Tightwad's quality of workmanship is second to none as well.

I was a skeptic because of my concern with beam pattern, but I see that this kit includes a shield that deals with this issue. I will be buying one of these myself for a winter project.

Without Tightwads kit, the lights turn on with the ignition switch then go off once you hit the starter button, only to come back on after the bike starts. HID bulbs and ballasts don't handle quick on-off-on well. With the kit, the first bulb doesn't come on until the bike is running. The second bulb comes on 5 seconds later. Each bulb has a start-up current of 6 amps, then quickly falls to around 3 amps. The delay not only separates the start-up current but looks cool.

Brief update:

Mancation with my son was great, we had a blast being away from the women for a few days before getting back to life and school and such. Of course taking 4 days off meant I had 4 days of catchup. I have ordered an H4 hi/lo kit to check out and see what I can do with...I will leave trimming the tabs to the lucky buyer, but everything else will hopefully be thought out as far as making it plug n play. I also ordered an H7 kit as this appears to be what the RC51 uses....but oddly enough from what I read the bike has an H4 connector, then an H7 adapter? Weird...I thought the same conenctor would work on H4 and H7 (just not the other way around). I will know more soon.

I am still working on the high beam kit for the VFR 6th gen by special request. It will probably be a simple kit, possibly without the bulb to bulb delay unless this is a requested feature. Cost will be cheaper without it of course.

I ordered more 5000K parts as well, since I was out. I have 2 5000K kits and 2 4500K kits not spoken for, so if you want one head to my Website and get your order in.

Another update:

While the wife was out of town, I decided to take on a project of laying down a stone walkway and expanding the flower beds. It was 105 degrees that weekend. I am not a landscaper. It sucked, but looks good!

I have more 5000K kits available to ship now, and I ordered a Hi/LO H4 kit for the 5th gens who have been requesting it. Looking at the bulbs, I am not sure how the dust boot will be addressed, as the motor portion on the back of the bulb that moves the shield to create the “hi beam” does not appear removeable. Wiring the Latch and Delay will not be a problem, I will only need to know how the relays are currently configured.

I also ordered an H7 kit for the RC51 folks who were interested. The RC51 (not sure about exact years) uses the same H7 style bulb in low and high beam, with the difference being built into the reflector itself. Wiring in HID bulbs would be simple enough, as would adding the delays. From what I understand (haven’t seen an RC51 apart) the wiring harness actually has H4 connectors, with adapters for the bulbs. The bulbs that come with the kit just have spade terminals to plug into the adapters….but those get removed for the Latch/Delay kit anyway.

If you own an RC51 and are interested in a kit, PM me to work out some of the details.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to give a quick update. My bike was torn apart for the whole spring and summer...and I finally decided to start riding again. With the days getting shorter, I am actually getting to use the lights, and I LOVE them! Plenty of light, and looking at where it hits on cars I am behind, I am not blinding anyone. 20 sets have been sold, and I think everyone is happy so far! The only issue we have found seems to be on some bikes the starter switch was/is dirty, and it caused a problem with the HID firing...I think 3 people found this problem.

The only issue we have found seems to be on some bikes the starter switch was/is dirty, and it caused a problem with the HID firing...I think 3 people found this problem.

The HID starters need max voltage to ignite the HID bulbs and when starting the engine the voltage drops, how much depends on how well the battery is charged and it's capacity. It happened to me too a couple of times but my third gen has an on/off switch for the headlights so I can restart the HID by using the switch and not having to restart the engine. On later gen VFRs and US bikes that don't have the headlight switch you can rewire the headlights using the oil pressure switch as a switch to ground for the headlight relays. By doing so the headlights won't come on before the engine is running and voltage has been restored to 12+

I would recommend only rewiring the low beam relay for in case you get stuck by the roadside at night with an engine that won't run you, still have the high beams (or add a parking light like on euro spec bikes).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The only issue we have found seems to be on some bikes the starter switch was/is dirty, and it caused a problem with the HID firing...I think 3 people found this problem.

The HID starters need max voltage to ignite the HID bulbs and when starting the engine the voltage drops, how much depends on how well the battery is charged and it's capacity. It happened to me too a couple of times but my third gen has an on/off switch for the headlights so I can restart the HID by using the switch and not having to restart the engine. On later gen VFRs and US bikes that don't have the headlight switch you can rewire the headlights using the oil pressure switch as a switch to ground for the headlight relays. By doing so the headlights won't come on before the engine is running and voltage has been restored to 12+

I would recommend only rewiring the low beam relay for in case you get stuck by the roadside at night with an engine that won't run you, still have the high beams (or add a parking light like on euro spec bikes).

The voltage sensitive latch relay that comes in the kit does the same thing without rewiring the oil pressure switch. The relay, which looks and wires like a standard Bosch style automotive relay, has a control circuit that measures the voltage input and triggers once the voltage reaches 13.45 VDC (bike started). Once triggered, the relay latchs until the lights (bike) is turned off.

Here's more info.

http://www.jatronx.com/products/voltage-sensitive-latching-relay/

Archived