Completed....Custom HID Conversion Kit

Tightwad

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be past my bedtime and I missed it, but what happens to the high beam on the 6th Gen when the HIDs are installed? I would like to have HIDs in the low beams and retain the halogen highs for flashing/illuminating trees. Also, MA inspection requires a high beam, and I am not keen on the mechanical HID high beam.

It may be past my bedtime and I missed it, but what happens to the high beam on the 6th Gen when the HIDs are installed? I would like to have HIDs in the low beams and retain the halogen highs for flashing/illuminating trees. Also, MA inspection requires a high beam, and I am not keen on the mechanical HID high beam.

Your stock hi beam bulbs should still operate normally with the HID kit installed as you're only disturbing the low beam circuts on the bike. From what most have said after installing the HID's, the brights no longer make that much of a difference though.

I have two H4 Dual Beam kits in pre-production (that's for you 5th gen folks!) the bulbs are 5000K.

I also have an H7 RC51 kit in pre-production. This is a different beast as the low/high beams are two separate bulbs.

For those who are wondering, I still use DDM tuning kits as the base. Their price went up a bit, and shipping is now direct from China so it takes a bit more time than it used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Please confirm, the ballasts are held by double-sided tape only. correct?

This is correct. Originally the kits came with 3m white foam tape. They no longer include them from DDM, so I am using 3M trim tape. With where I place them, even if they came loose they can't go anywhere...but no issue so far.

Please confirm, the ballasts are held by double-sided tape only. correct?
This is correct. Originally the kits came with 3m white foam tape. They no longer include them from DDM, so I am using 3M trim tape. With where I place them, even if they came loose they can't go anywhere...but no issue so far.

Thanks for the confirmation.

• Member Contributer

This is a great addition to my 6th gen, but for some reason the LHS Ballast never really adhered to the body. I suppose I never really

located the correct flat spot to stick it to. Nevertheless everything works just fine with it just drifting around in that cavity. The only trouble is when I remove the front cowl

I have to be careful when putting it back on again that i don't catch the wires on something.

So, after 30,000 or so KM with it like this, no problems.

Tom

Finally done with this mod. I love it.

Some few notes from my experience:

1. All the instructions are pretty clear and nicely done. THANKS!
  2. I took one afternoon to start removing all and do some of the wiring.
  3. The next day, I did the ballasts and bulbs and put all back together.
  4. instructions say ground cable to screw near brake hose. But kit instructions indicate to run it to the ground of the battery.
  5. I found it easier to remove left and right side panels. It is easier to try to fit the side panels to the headlight assembly than the headlight assembly to the side panels.
  6. Removing the gauge face plate took a while just to make sure I did not damage it when pulling it. There are tabs on either side. I was first able to undo the groomets and then I had to deal with the side tabs.
  7. low beam relay connector wiring. removing the 2 indicated wires took me a while but it was done fine.
  8. putting all back together was a little painful for a first timer. I ended up setting a table in front of the bike where I can sit the head unit close enough to the bike to start making the wire connections. Then, I power it and verified all was working fine. I was not going to put it all back together and later find out there was a problem. lol.
  9. once wires were connected to headlight unit, I just pushed it in place... carefully and started to reverse steps to install it.
  10. next were the left and right panels and it was done.
  11. I got the 6K kit. the pics show a lot of blue but in reality it looks mostly white.
  12. below are some before and after pics.

The before:

DSC04214.jpg

The after:

DSC04490.jpg

Nice review! The ground instructions changed because we opted for a direct battery ground after some people had problems that could have been ground related (they weren't).

the 6000K lights have more blue than I personally like, but not bad. I don't even offer higher because I don't like them....selfish I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Ordered a 5k kit.

Seen an early R6 cruising around with bright lights and had to have them.

Thought it was a simple case of changing globes. +50s made stuff all difference and white ones were whiter but no brighter.

This must be the way to do it. Sounds like a quality set up. Look forward to taking delivery.

• 3 months later...

Just an update for those who have been asking...a 5th gen kit is close! I have a co-worker with a 1998 VFR that has agreed to let me use his bike for the measurements needed for a custom fit kit. I have 3 Hi/Lo kits on hand to make into 6th gen kits.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have added the Hi/Lo H4 kit to my offerings. I took a different approach to this kit and made it a bit more of a "universal fit". I don't have pictures/videos for a how-to guide. I am hoping that this community can help in that respect.

The kit is similar to the 6th gen kit but includes the Hi/Lo functionality. This increases the cost of the kit by my cost (+$20) but everything else remains the same. The kit will utilize the original H4 connector to trigger the high beam functionality.

I fully expect the kit to change slightly based on initial feedback as well.

Can you explan the Hi/Lo functionality for us who have not been following along?

I thought that HID's were either on or off. How do you get hi/lo out of them?

BTW, my new stator is working great, 14V no problems.

Can you explan the Hi/Lo functionality for us who have not been following along?

I thought that HID's were either on or off. How do you get hi/lo out of them?

BTW, my new stator is working great, 14V no problems.

Sorry, I thought we had discussed this. No problem explaining.

The hi/lo bulbs have a motor on them that actually moved the bulb within the housing. This puts the beam into the "high beam" area of the reflector inside the headlight, allowing the beam to shine higher than normal. The bulb doesn't get brighter, it just changes the output. I will try to post a video of it in action.

I have no personal experience with these setups so I can't offer anecdotal evidence. I suggest people investigate fully so they know what they are buying. I wouldn't normally offer anything I couldn't firmly stand behind with my own personal experience but this has been an oft requested item.

I have no personal experience with these setups so I can't offer anecdotal evidence.

I have a HID bulb like this for some years now and it works brilliant.

Thanks for the comment!

I reiterate again to those considering...if you have any qualms or concerns please don't order. I haven't heard of anyone having issues but without first hand information I hesitate to make any guarantees and I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed.

• Member Contributer

It's been a while since I bought my kit. I have a friend with a 2003 blackbird. do you have anything that's universal for him?

It's been a while since I bought my kit. I have a friend with a 2003 blackbird. do you have anything that's universal for him?

If he uses 2 H4 bulbs this kit will work. If he needs different bulbs he can contact me.

• 3 weeks later...

How similar are the reflectors between the 6g and 5g? Just curious what kind of beam pattern the 5gs would be throwing out with your kit.

How similar are the reflectors between the 6g and 5g? Just curious what kind of beam pattern the 5gs would be throwing out with your kit.

I don't know about the beam patterns. I know people on this site have used them but I don't have a 5th gen to use for comparison.

Archived