Completed....Custom HID Conversion Kit

Tightwad

Coderighter might have or be able to get those pictures...I would need to find a wall that would work (and be dark)....hard in a well lit metroplex.

Price is target price, final may vary a bit but hopefully not much.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

ANy ballpark ideas on price for the HID kit and wiring? Need to start squirreling away for this one!! :idea3:

Jon (Coderighter) and I are finalizing the total setup...price will depend on any additional changes that need to be made...but I would Ballpark ~ $125 for the kit. US shipping would be free, Canada gets to pay an upcharge (lucky you!)

I was expecting it to be in the $250 - $350 range so if you can hit the $125 mark that would be awesome. Shipping to Canada isn't that expensive for small parcels, it just takes awhile longer - and using US Postal service is the best way to go to help us Canucks avoid paying duty/customs.

One more question - I'd like to see the output of the lights with the bike on level ground, in the pitch dark, pointing at a dark wall. That would show the light pattern, and if you showed the bike from a distance to the wall - it'll show the spread of the light pattern.

Looking forward to this mod!!

Well, I live in a very dark area (county) but I have white garage doors and a pretty steep driveway. My neighbor has a dark brown garage doors and less of an angle to his driveway. I could probably arrange something with him this weekend since I live pretty far north (Seattle area) and it doesn't truly get dark here, this time of year, until 10:30. I'll also go for a ride after dark Friday and Saturday and see if I can't find something real level. I get up for work at 5:00, in the office by 6:15, so I can't swing it during the week.

• Member Contributer

If you can ship to Australia, I'm very interested as well.

Tom

• Member Contributer

If the target price is close (~$125) I am down like a clown. I hate the fact that the headlights are on prior to the engine running. +1 on wanting to see beam pattern.

• Member Contributer

Does the VFR come with the kit at that price?....just checkin'.....never know...... :biggrin:

Nice idea.... :biggrin:

Putting together the last few details. I will have two of the 5000K kits ready to go first, with the rest coming shortly after...should be < a week until I can start taking orders for them.

For those who are watching...how informed are you on HID temperatures (light color) and what colors would you want? We chose 5000K, but that is a bit whiter with a touch of blue...not annoying by any means, but whiter than halogen by far.

If you are interested in the kit, post the color you would want...4300K, 5000K, or 6000K (this would be quite blue). Anything more than 6000K would be of limited worth as a headlight in my opinion (but I am not buying that temperature so my opinion is skewed)

Secondly, I chose 35W as a power savings....if you think you would rather the 55W those would be available (no power savings compared to 55W Halogen)

I anticipate a small upcharge for non-standard requests as bulk pricing wouldn't apply, so speak now while we set the standard!

• Member Contributer

If 4,300 is less blue and more white that's what I would want...count me in!

• Member Contributer

Great idea!

I like it just for the sake of efficiency and would def. consider the kit for myself.

I am concerned with the cut-off though.

Seen too many HID kits in regular housings designed for halogen bulbs that blind due to the lack of cut-off.

So, +3 on the spread pattern pictures please.

Re. the color temperature:

4100k - 4300k is the ideal HID color temperature to produce the maximum amount of light, lumens, hence the reason while all OEM manufacturers equip their vehicles with these types of bulbs.

• Member Contributer

Im good with 35 w and i was thinking 5000 first.. but i would love to see the different bulbs on the VFR .... 5000 to 6000 :)

• Member Contributer

I have no problem with 35W, but would much prefer the 4300k option.

thanks,

jim

edit: Put me down as a plus # on the beam pattern request.

Based on the requests, I think it would be good to take a 4300K bulb, a 5000K bulb, and a 6000K bulb and compare them to the Halogen side by side. Let me see if I can get a single bulb of each color to do this with, otherwise I will be test firing someone's bulbs....

Beam pictures are coming, Jon is working on that.

count me in on the 35w 4300k. and would it b possible to get a 55w 3000k h7 kit for the highs? i work at night so most of my ridin is after dark and i ride through the bookies so lots of animals ide like to see as good as they see me.

count me in on the 35w 4300k. and would it b possible to get a 55w 3000k h7 kit for the highs? i work at night so most of my ridin is after dark and i ride through the bookies so lots of animals ide like to see as good as they see me.

Yes, a 55W 3000K kit could also be made in the H7 bulb, would you want the delay for that as well? I can figure out what the kit would take and price it for you.

Slight correction....it's 4500K not 4300K that will be available.

the last 3 probably get you called a squid....

Yes, a 55W 3000K kit could also be made in the H7 bulb, would you want the delay for that as well? I can figure out what the kit would take and price it for you.

yes i would like the delay on that one aswell. ill b doin the yellow lamin-x film with these cause they make the eyeshine a lot brighter.

Are you making a batch of these based on who says they want one? I really want a set but I'd also like to see the cutoff pattern. And I may need a little bit to get approval from my loan officer (wife) since she just let me buy a set of helibars and a tail light modulator. Definately want a set, it may just be a bit.

Are you making a batch of these based on who says they want one? I really want a set but I'd also like to see the cutoff pattern. And I may need a little bit to get approval from my loan officer (wife) since she just let me buy a set of helibars and a tail light modulator. Definately want a set, it may just be a bit.

This kit will be available on my site for the foreseeable future....just gauging initial interest for the first runs.

Potentially Interested depending on cutoff (dont want to be giving them any more reasons to pull me over in the lovely garden state!). It would be for an 03 with a 35watt 4300/4500k.

Archived