GET BENT!!!

Veefer800Canuck

Looks and sounds great, excellent job on the rebuild.

Not being a fan of mirror extenders myself, have you considered getting a pair of BMW R1100S mirrors? They are a straight swap and a bit wider than stock 3rd-5th gen VFR mirrors.

gallery_5310_4453_36671.jpg

Now that, is new and interesting!!

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Rob :491:

Here's to everything going smoothly with the inspection and insurance :blush:

I'm really glad you bought her back to us.

Were the front and rear lenses from the same place?

No they were not, different EBAY sellers (because each item was less expensive from that particular seller).

Not being a fan of mirror extenders myself, have you considered getting a pair of BMW R1100S mirrors? They are a straight swap and a bit wider than stock 3rd-5th gen VFR mirrors.

I just learned something!

Well, I'll think on it, but I'm about done buying parts for now! $$$$$

Well, bike is in the hands of the local "We fix anything" independent powersports dealer, RPM Powersports.

I'm a little nervous as these guys don't really work on streetbikes, mostly Quads and dirtbikes where the level of care for the product is "a little less" shall we say?

Hell, quads are meant to bounce off trees and get rolled in the mud, so a little boot scuff isn't a big deal, yes?

BUT, they are the only local shop licensed by the province to do safety inspections.

I'm just freaking that they'll drop the thing, or the mechanic is ~5 foot 5 and he'll run a dirty work boot over top of the freshly painted tailsection when mounting the bike, etc. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Nice to see "the Phoenix" up and running again. Paint looks great and so does the new rear lens.

I echo what the others said about charcoal or dark silver wheels looking trick. Black on the rear will make it invisible and then what's the point?

Looks pretty darn good, though.

The bike looks and sounds great Rob. Sorry about your accident and hope you are feeling as well as you can be. Your persistence on this project is to be admired. :biggrin: :huh:

I might have to be more persistant. My insurance company is saying it might take 24-48 hours to work the papers through their system as my new VIN number is coming up as "no vehicle found". Well DUH, it's a brand new number.

So they have to something called a "VIN push" to get it through. So no riding today.

Also, they are somewhat concerned as to the fact that I did all the repair work myself. So I reminded them that the safety inspection that I am submitting will address that.

We will see. :biggrin:

Oh the comedy of errors just gets better.

They said they'd be done with the bike by noon.

I show up at 12:13

I'm told the bike is ready, the inspection is done, but the tech forgot to sign the inspection report.

He's the shop owner, and the other mechanic in the shop isn't certified to do government safety inspections, so he cannot sign it.

And the best part? The shop owner had already left for Edmonton, 2 hours away, immediately after he finished on my bike.

So I paid for the inspection, got the bike back, but still have no signed paperwork until tomorrow morning. :laughing6-hehe: :dry: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Man that sounds good, way better than my full TBros system. Great job! :laughing6-hehe:

Hope all the admin stuff gets worked out asap!

nice, What year BMW ?

• Member Contributer

nice, What year BMW ?

AND, where did you get the fork brace? (very nice)

Well, the high point of the day was when I rode the bike (illegally) :ph34r: over to the moto shop and back again.

Even though it was only about 3 miles total, I did enough corners to know that the bike is responding to inputs just like before the crash. :fing02:

And this, even with the front forks on "mystery" settings. :fing02:

I just slapped them on out of the box, and have not checked the sag nor damping settings. Manana.

Actually, it sounds tighter than ever. No slop in the driveline, engine sounds willing, steering inputs are light and precise.

Oh, and I have no idea what my tire pressures are either. Rear tire hasn't been checked or filled since Colorado last year, and the front is at whatever (?) the tech set it at when he re-mounted my used tire on the used EBAY rim back in March or so.

SO, the upshot is that the handling can only improve once I set the bike up better. :fing02:

I've been doing other errands today, plumbing, etc, and am exhausted (still recovery effects from the crash), maybe after a rest I can throw the fairings on tonight yet, if I have enough plastic clippyhoo-hahs left. :huh:

• Member Contributer

Looks great, Veefer! Lovin' the smoked-out lights and the paint and the exhaust and the wave rotors and, and, and.....

Very classy.

How did the new brake rotors do over those 3 miles?

Didn't even notice them. Worked like brakes should oughta.

Although I was tiptoeing around at legal speeds so as to not attract attention from Johnny Law.

Also, my brake pads are the same ones from before, I just sanded them and reused them, so it's going to take awhile for them to conform to the new discs.

Finally got all the fairings on plus the "V" cowl inbetween the lowers:

gallery_554_5200_1348198.jpg

fairings on 001.jpg

gallery_554_5200_496184.jpg

fairings on 002.jpg

Sorry they are still garage pics, but it's very dark out just now. :wink:

Didn't hear back from my insurance company today, and tomorrow is Canada Day, so I'm screwed there, I'm hoping for Friday.

gallery_554_5200_148508.jpg

fairings on 005.jpg

gallery_554_5200_97050.jpg

fairings on 008.jpg

Some of you might remember my bullet holes from the previous incarnation of the GL800RR-SP2.

I like to inject a bit of whimsy into my bike somewhere, just a little bit of fun. That's what the bullet holes were for, a bit of the lighter side.

So this time, I thought long and hard about how I was going to do it with the new version.

Behold, I give you "Faux-lins" forks. :goofy:

gallery_554_5200_1412978.jpg

fairings on 003.jpg

Since the new forks are that lovely gold colour like Ohlins, I figured I'd have a bit of a laff with it. :bliss:

Actually, it's not 100% false advertising, there IS an Ohlins shock out back, I just seem to have, er, misplaced the stickerz. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Your bike looks awesome :comp13: . I was thinking about your earlier posts where you said you were thinking about painting the wheels and the swingarm black. Then someone suggested that would hide your rear wheel. I wonder how it would look if you painted the swingarm black and the wheels the same dark metallic grey color, like the color of the wings on your fairings? In one of the pictures, the color of the rear wheel came out as dark grey (probably because of light) and I thought that looked handsome...

Your bike looks awesome :fing02: . I was thinking about your earlier posts where you said you were thinking about painting the wheels and the swingarm black. Then someone suggested that would hide your rear wheel. I wonder how it would look if you painted the swingarm black and the wheels the same dark metallic grey color, like the color of the wings on your fairings? In one of the pictures, the color of the rear wheel came out as dark grey (probably because of light) and I thought that looked handsome...

I'm somewhat leaning towards the black swingarm and charcoal grey metallic wheels yes.

Have all summer to decide because nothing is happening until after the snowmen arrive.

Black out the heatshield perhaps?

There's a thought. Maybe get another on EBAY and have it stripped and black chromed?

I was thinking more along the lines of satin black rattle can... :fing02:

Black out the heatshield perhaps?

There's a thought. Maybe get another on EBAY and have it stripped and black chromed?

I was thinking more along the lines of satin black rattle can... :laughing6-hehe:

Nein :excl:

Archived