GET BENT!!!

Veefer800Canuck

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you going to powdercoat your frame while it is off the bike???? :beer:

Thought about it. Time, money, etc. You know the story........ v.gif

Aww, but Robbie, just think how sweet the satin black frame would look when finally ensconced in the newly painted plastic... :wub: :bliss:

:fing02:

:lurk:

• Member Contributer

Do more doubletime!!

I don't get that option... if I do extra hours I then have to take more time off... :beer:

Keep it up (the good work that is).

:fing02: Suppose we all want "another's" life... I get the time and a half and WISH I could get more time off... to ride the bike.

So, it's a bad news/good news week. :lobby:

Bad news: when I removed my old frame, the two M10 bolts on the LH side were tight coming out, all the way. Yup, peeled several threads right out of the engine cases. :ph34r:

Items 22 and 23 below:

gallery_554_5200_5823.jpg

Wasn't my fault, I've never had them out nor have I attempted to tighten them, there was no need. The bolts on the RH side came out fine!

So, I chased the threads with a tap and cleaned the bolts with a die. They threaded in easily enough, but they were very loosey-goosey in the holes and I didn't trust them to hold once torqued to spec, and also the stresses of riding, SO:

Good news: I drilled them out and tapped to an M12 thread with new bolts to suit. :rolleyes:

Not without sweating a few bullets though, I mean, just think: "I'm about to drill through my engine where the main frame attaches and if I cock it up, I've ruined the whole deal!" Well, there is still welding and redrilling, but let's just not go there, K?

Luckily the bosses cast into the engine block for these bolts are fairly hefty, so there was a lot of meat to drill through, and hence, tons of strength left.

Drilled the existing holes out to 13/32" in three steps using gradually larger drill bits:

gallery_554_5200_957123.jpg

Greased the tap to keep the aluminum chips under control (worked for the drill bits too):

gallery_554_5200_765937.jpg

Nice and slow, keep things square, don't rush:

gallery_554_5200_129825.jpg

Phew, all the way through:

gallery_554_5200_888663.jpg

Shiny new threads (they really do look perfect, just that the camera is crap for closeups, sry):

gallery_554_5200_983005.jpg

Bolts be working! I chose allen head bolts as larger M12 hex heads would have left no room in the frame recesses for a socket:

gallery_554_5200_757990.jpg

I have yet to drill the spacers that fit between the frame and the engine, those have to be hogged out to 12mm as well.

And I'm saving the best for last! I get to drill my brand new $1142 frame! :blink:

Really, that's going to be the easiest part, but still, you gotta strike the right nerve to take a 1/2" DeWalt to a fresh new frame! :unsure:

• Forum CEO

You seem to be having the same sort of issues I have, mine are exaust stud related, I really hate snapped off exhaust studs! I have new ones in now but it was a mess and not fun, loops like crap but they work properly. I now have my rear exaust on and am putting the bike back together.

I decided to go with a Thurn combo chaingaurd and hugger so I contacted Thurn. I got an email back saying 4 months on that! Geez - Lazer never even contacted me about their aluminum chaingaurd. The shipping I am sure will be rediculous. I dont know I can live with the OEM perhaps I will just go back to stock and forget it.

hello Miguel,

thank you for your interest.

From the article number we think you have a VFR 800 FI from 1998-2001?

We have a lot of pre-orders for VFR carbon parts. Delivery time from now on is 4 months minimum.

We offer 2 % pre-order discount per month from payment on until delivery.

If you are further interested, we give you the exact costs

kind regards

Thurn Motorsport

I was a bit miffed that they did not give me the price right up front! I asked for it cause well thats the deciding factor for me anyhow, the 4 month wait time though seems too much. It seems we vfr riders dont bring enough demand! Not enough of us who want modified chaingaurd/huggers? Perhaps if we could organize a group buy they might be more forthcomming?

Miguel: Sorry to hear you can't get parts at hand in a reasonable timeframe. Maybe put the stocker on for now (you could clean it up and hit it with some gloss black Krylon Fusion temporarily) and then order the Thurn unit so it arrives later in the summer?

Tomorrow I get my front tire swapped onto the good rim and balanced at the local YamaHammer shop.

Also fix a few wires for the instrument cluster that got their coverings slightly skinned off by a piece of broken fairing.

Rob, I'm sure you thought of this, but why the heck didn't you drill out the threads an install a Helicoil or Timesert/etc to bring the threads back to OEM size???

I did the same exact thing with my VF750F, remember?

Rob, I'm sure you thought of this, but why the heck didn't you drill out the threads an install a Helicoil or Timesert/etc to bring the threads back to OEM size???

I did the same exact thing with my VF750F, remember?

Well, I would have needed to drill and tap anyhow for the Timesert, plus I would have had to buy the Timesert kit I guess. The bolts cost me like 2 bucks. The drills and tap and die set, I already owned.

I don't think I'll be removing these ever again. Didn't remove the frame on my '86 VFR in over 14 years I had it........

Anyhow, the threads are perfect.

:excl: Geez, the rebuild is moving along so slowly, I left my frame in the garage for a couple of weeks and it's gotten all filthy! :pissed:

Anybody know how I could clean it so it looks new again? :unsure:

gallery_554_5200_1943868.jpg

100_0560.JPG

gallery_554_5200_379142.jpg

100_0561.JPG

Seems my sprocket hub suffered the same fate! :pissed:

gallery_554_5200_1243767.jpg

100_0564.JPG

:pinocchio:

Nice. :lobby: The swingarm hasn't returned from the powder coater yet?

Going to leave the swingarm silver for now. We'll see how I like it.

Also, my wheels are going to be mismatched for awhile.

Front one black, rear one silver.

Gotta have something to do next winter, eh?

Got the frame mounted today and all torqued into place.

Got the brainy idea to practice drilling out the engine hanger holes on the old frame first before attacking the new frame.

Worked great, and only a few butterflies on my part:

gallery_554_5200_1638852.jpg

The new M12 engine bolts worked a treat! (phew)

The other one is hidden behind the coolant overflow tank.

gallery_554_5200_420777.jpg

gallery_554_5200_1683840.jpg

Made sure to get them long enough:

gallery_554_5200_1297778.jpg

Gotta get the subframe mounted tomorrow:

gallery_554_5200_952801.jpg

Only thing stopping me is I want to protect this wiring bundle so it doesn't rub on the shock anymore.

Nothing is rubbed through, but I'm going to put on a short section of slit 3/4" heater hose to be sure:

gallery_554_5200_170983.jpg

Thanks for all the great photos and insights :blink:

Yr welcome. smile.gif

My next big holdup will be steering head bearings. I'm waiting on some to arrive as we speak.

The lower race was showing quite a bit of brinelling. Probably from the accident.

532px-Badly-worn_taper_roller_bearing_%28Montagu%2C_Cars_and_Motor-Cycles%2C_1928%29.jpg

I'm racing to get the rolling chassis 100% complete before May 3rd which is my next surgery date.

Anybody know how I could clean it so it looks new again?

gallery_554_5200_379142.jpg

100_0561.JPG

I could think of trade whit you if you dont like that black look tongue.gif

:blink:

Looks great

My next big holdup will be steering head bearings. I'm waiting on some to arrive as we speak.

The lower race was showing quite a bit of brinelling. Probably from the accident.

Bearings arrived today! :beatdeadhorse:

(of course, if I had gotten them YESTERDAY, I could have installed them in the frame BEFORE bolting the frame to the engine, saving me the awkwardness of driving in the lower race upside down.......) :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Just sit on your head then it will be right side up..... JK

Rob what is next for the Million Dollar Man. Are they just removing hardware or are they fixing more?

DC

So here is how it stands at the moment:

gallery_554_5200_572004.jpg

100_0476.JPG

gallery_554_5200_1993573.jpg

100_0477.JPG

Rainbow bike.

Awesome! Don't you dare paint that bike! LOL!

Bearings arrived today! :beatdeadhorse:

(of course, if I had gotten them YESTERDAY, I could have installed them in the frame BEFORE bolting the frame to the engine, saving me the awkwardness of driving in the lower race upside down.......) :wheel:

Looking good Rob!! I've been away from the forum for a while and didn't realize your bike had been toasted so badly. I assume the other vehicle was at fault, so hopefully you got a good BI settlement out of them.

Just sit on your head then it will be right side up..... JK

Rob what is next for the Million Dollar Man. Are they just removing hardware or are they fixing more?

DC

They are going to shorten a screw that is too long and sticking out of the Talus bone into soft tissue.

Causing me grief with almost every step.

So here is how it stands at the moment:

gallery_554_5200_572004.jpg

100_0476.JPG

gallery_554_5200_1993573.jpg

100_0477.JPG

Rainbow bike.

Awesome! Don't you dare paint that bike! LOL!

Sorry man, panels are already in at the painters. Gonna look like this, but with pearl white instead (see attachment at bottom of post)

Looking good Rob!! I've been away from the forum for a while and didn't realize your bike had been toasted so badly. I assume the other vehicle was at fault, so hopefully you got a good BI settlement out of them.

Oh yeah, I've got Dewey, Cheatum and Howe on the case as we speak! Could be a couple of years though until everything smartens up. I've got to heal up as much as possible before they can assess any permanent disability, which I an certain to have some degree of. sad.gif

post-554-127085447955_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

Got the frame mounted today and all torqued into place.

Got the brainy idea to practice drilling out the engine hanger holes on the old frame first before attacking the new frame.

Worked great, and only a few butterflies on my part:

gallery_554_5200_1638852.jpg

Looking great Rob! :fing02:

:lurk:

Archived