GET BENT!!!

Veefer800Canuck

Rob,

Have you started the Frame yet?

It's not too bad a job! Pull the forks, actually looking at the pics we just left everything semi attached and worked the frame off.

Not yet, on nightshifts. Soon.

If I remember correctly the brake lines can remain intact front to rear as you guide the frame off the engine swingarm assm.

What you don't remember correctly is that I have no LBS. Heck, you rode the bike last year in CO, dincha? :lobby:

Srsly, yes, I do plan on lifting the frame just as you pictured. I got the clue from the fella that painted his Vtec frame this past winter.

Thanks for the pix, it shouldn't be too bad. I just wanna finish up the swingarm and rear subframe first and then work the frame. That way, I don't have too much disassembled at the same time. :goofy:

I need to remove the subframe, take it to work and put it in the big press and straighten the LH lower rail which is slightly tweaked. While that's off, I'll clean everything in sight as it's philthy. :blush:

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mo bettah:

gallery_554_5200_132098.jpg

What make is that rear sprocket? Black looks cool :cheerleader:

I have a couple of questions: Doesn't running a fuel injected bike damage the injectors and the pump as it does with cars? I didn't quite catch the thing about fuel pumps and capacity/angle of the tank; what is the new fuel capacity with this mod, can you get it all out of the tank? Keep up the posts I'm watching this one with great interest.

Total capacity is 5.8 gal, up from 5.3 (as per Honda specs)

Dunno if I'll be able to get all of it out, member FROZEN says no on his.

I never run it right down anyhow, I always like to stop early for fuel when I'm on tour.

Mainly I like the look/angles of the tank as compared to the original one.

It'll make the bike more unique.

I will report back when I figure out the actual fuel range/capacity/refill amount.

Not much to report.

Did up the rear caliper, installed the rear wheel, torqued the 46mm Hay-soos nut on the rear axle. 150 ft/lbs!!! :excl:

Removed the back half of the exhaust system and the rear subframe. Need to straighten the RH lower subframe rail as it's pushed in about 6mm.

Doesn't sound like much, but it's making the passenger peg sit way off-kilter. I'll take it to work and use the big shop press.

Tried bending it back while ON THE BIKE, using the old, wrecked passenger peg hanger as leverage, but just cracked the hanger. Oh well, worth a try.

gallery_554_5200_181560.jpg

Frame swap is next on the agenda.

Straightened out the slight inward bend in the subframe. It isn't perfect, but it's really, really close. It's about 2mm further out than standard. Close enuf!

I put it in the press at work and it popped right back into shape with no probs. It was actually harder finding some scrap steel material and a couple of big sockets to use as props to direct the force where I wanted it to go.

A small alteration to the footpeg hanger bracket inner mounting surfaces should restore the last bit of alignment so the passenger peg will sit level and proper.

Better by far than getting another subframe and re-doing the aluminum undertray!

The photoshopped red line on the left was where the slight bend was. All the undertray rivets on that side popped out when I pressed it back, so I'll have to run about a half dozen new rivets in, then clean it up B4 install.

Still have to straighten the license plate bracket and clean up the exhaust system, swapping the frame should be on Monday/Tuesday.

gallery_554_5200_912297.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sorry for your bad break with no humor intended at all. Yeah you're right, it could be worse. Right now you are making plans to rebuild your bike and in my book you've won the biggest lottery of all - LIFE! Okay, pep talk is over and here is to your speedy recovery! JD

• Member Contributer

Hey Rob, looks like its all starting to come together. looking fwd to seeing it person in troutdale..Right??. see you have a CB750custom had a black one until i crashed it, brings back fond memories.

• Member Contributer

Rob, I see you sourced a replacement swingarm. I don't recall you saying the original had been damaged, was it bent??

On the gas tank are you using the 6G fuel pump and/or sender? Or just your original 5G parts? I'd like the fit a 6G tank for the extra capacity but if I can't suck it out it isn't much worth it.

Looking good, best of luck the frame swap goes easily. :fing02:

Hey Rob, looks like its all starting to come together. looking fwd to seeing it person in troutdale..Right??. see you have a CB750custom had a black one until i crashed it, brings back fond memories.

Not my CB750, it belongs to my co-worker Wes.

He also has a VTX1800 and a Harley bagger, you can maybe see some of those bikes in the other pix.

He had a KLR650 too, but sold it semi-recently. He's single in case you couldn't figure that out. :laughing6-hehe:

Rob, I see you sourced a replacement swingarm. I don't recall you saying the original had been damaged, was it bent??

On the gas tank are you using the 6G fuel pump and/or sender? Or just your original 5G parts? I'd like the fit a 6G tank for the extra capacity but if I can't suck it out it isn't much worth it.

Looking good, best of luck the frame swap goes easily. :laughing6-hehe:

Swingarm: the end of the axle and the 46mm nut took a hit. I removed the chain and put a 3 foot metal straightedge against the rear sprocket, right tight. It didn't line up with the front sprocket no-how. Was right in the MIDDLE of the front sprocket teeth. Made no matter if I shifted the front sprocket left to right in it's (limited) freeplay, it was still out of whack.

So, for the sake of being safe, I replaced the swingarm with a used unit. Sprockets now line up.

Gas tank: using 5th gen pump. My old tank had a (slight) dent in it from my right knee upon impact.

I like the styling of the 6th gen tank better, and I've already sold the original tank to a VFRd member who really really needed a decent tank.

Really, the dent was more of a slight depression, and it was only visible if you looked alongside the tank at certain angles.

It wound up to be quite a low-cost mod, once I deduct what I recouped from the original tank. Like about 40 bucks net. I'll buy that for the improved styling alone.

As for the range, I'll report back once I'm able to get the tank filled and emptied on the road.

Sorry to disappoint, but got called into work on my only day off this week, so no-fixie on the bikey. :unsure:

On the plus side, it's double-time, so whining about it isn't really an option! tongue.gif

Saturday, I promise!

Hi veefer800Canuck.

I'm new to these boards but since I live in your general area I thought I'd say hello and show you some pics of my bike before and after my get-off in Montana...

The new color is by Porsche - it's called 'Deep Olive Metallic'.

Good luck with your project and I hope my pictures give you a bit of added inspiration!

Before....

post-19755-126931680138_thumb.jpg

After the get-off...

post-19755-126931687764_thumb.jpg

Same bike - new parts and a new paint job...

post-19755-126931698716_thumb.jpg

Back on the road again...

post-19755-126931729399_thumb.jpg

Wow, you just joined today! Welcome CAFAN. :goofy:

Your bike sure looked messed up. So it was Pearl Conifer Green before?

Hopefully we can get together sometime and ride. :tour:

It was Pearl Conifer Green (Teal Green) before. I guess my saving grace was that the stock forks were designed to bend much easier than the frame, so the frame was ok. Lots of other parts didn't fare so well, so from a purely monetary perspective it still cost me too much to fix (most parts were purchased new from the states). In the end it was worth it because the bike looks, runs and handles like new again - and we had a long history together, so I wasn't going to give up on it without a fight smile.gif

Hopefully your bike turns out just as well and we will get a chance to ride/tour together sometime. I'll try to keep up on your progress...

• Member Contributer

All the King's Horses and all the King's men......

Oh dear!

Now is not the time to lose motivation! Keep at it!

Embedded videos don't seem to be working, they just sit and buffer forever.

For bent wheel spin videos, click here:

bent wheel videos on photobucket

Silver wheel with tire is the crashed bent rim.

Black wheel with no tire is the replacement EBAY rim (not bent).

Any movement of the black rim is likely due to my shoddy camera work, cuz I didn't see any movement in person.

Damn steering head bearings. :laughing6-hehe:

Bottom race was brinelled, top race had some corrosion on it. :biggrin:

Called the giant industrial bearing supply place in Edmonton, they can get the bottom bearing, but it's in Toronto, and I'd have to pay shipping.

Top bearing they cannot get, the 26mm I.D. makes it "special".

There are a Zillion kits on EBAY, but the sellers are all located in the UK or Australia.

So, I just ordered another kit from All Balls. Hopefully they have switched suppliers and I don't get the KML brand bearings this time out.

I was HOPING to have the bearings on hand sooner so I could install them before putting the frame on the bike, but I guess I'll have to do it the hard way. :laughing6-hehe:

Oh, and on another note, I could see where the upper bearing was riding on the stem from the grease mark when I removed it. It's nowhere near hitting the step in the stem, so I'm going to forego the spacer in the frame and just use the one on the lower triple!

Archived