Vfr=sport Bike?

Guest R0cketScientist

Guest R0cketScientist

So I've been a VFR owner for about 2 weeks now and have been describing my "new" bike ('93) to my friends and family who aren't riders as a Sport Touring bike...which I think is fair. Anyone who knows bikes, knows of the VFR so description is not necessary.

So I thought it was interesting when I saw this when researching the new models. The Interceptor is listed under "Sport" on the Honda website

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/s...ModelId=VFR8008

quoting...

"Universally considered one of Honda's most illustrious race-bred sportbikes, the Interceptor® is also arguably one of the best all-around streetbikes ever made."

So I thought this was interesting...so is it proper to refer to the VFR as a Sport Bike? Or is it generation dependant? If so, at what point did the bike become considered a "Sport Bike." Not that it matters either way, because it has always been a one of the best "all-around streetbikes" and that's all any of us really care about.

I am interested in your opinions since you guys are much more versed in the VFR legacy.

Thanks!

RS

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To people who don't know bikes, I usually describe my VFR as a sport-touring bike, with an emphasis on 'sport'. wink.gif

But you (and Honda) are right - VFRs are terrific all-around streetbikes!

• Member Contributer

Depends on what crowd you're with too. When I ride with other sportbikes I've heard the term 'couch' used quite a bit in referring to comfort. When I ride with cruisers they all seem to think I'm riding a rocket that goes 300 mph. :lol: If only I were kidding... :goofy:

I get the same thing Nicole, I probably spend less time riding with cruisers than you though. I do love sticking the 'couch' up the inside of new R6's while their t-shirt clad pilots look on in amazement. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Well, it has full bodywork, a singled-sided swingarm, goes 150mph, 0-60 in under three seconds, a race-bread V-4, and you can drag a knee (if you are so inclined) I'd say that it is a sport bike. It just happens to be one that you can ride long distance.

• Member Contributer

The VFR is a sportbike. No, it's not a supersport / race replica like the CBRs and GSXRs, but it's also not a sport-touring bike like a FJR or Honda ST (I think that one spells it out pretty clearly... ST = sport-touring!). It's a bike that splits the middle of those other types, and 'sportbike' is a pretty good descriptor of it, I think. They can certainly be set up for sport-touring quite easily, and it's reasonable ergonomics make it an great choice for it, but that doesn't change what it really is.

Usually true sportbike riders know it is not a true sport bike. (or they think it is a real old one). When non-riders ask what I ride I tell them that it looks just like a sportbike but it rides more like a touring bike.

• Member Contributer
Usually true sportbike riders know it is not a true sport bike. (or they think it is a real old one). When non-riders ask what I ride I tell them that it looks just like a sportbike but it rides more like a touring bike.

I look at it this way... It is a sportbike not a race bike. Just like there are sports cars versus race cars.

• Member Contributer

My insurance company thinks it's a sports bike. Anyone else... I don't really care what they think.

I use mine as a sports bike. For touring, I have a truck and trailer :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I always kinda say "sport/sport-touring" to some people who ask. Depending on the person and their knowlege of bikes, i'll sometimes make a point to call it a sport/touring, as some will automatically categorize you as the squid type if you're riding a bike with fairings on it.

My insurance company thinks it's a sports bike. Anyone else... I don't really care what they think.

I use mine as a sports bike. For touring, I have a truck and trailer :goofy:

Yep Nationwide thinks it is a sportbike also, Although i think I'm getting the shaft since they also call it a 800 when its actually a 781 I think and less power than a cbr600..

I too use the touring with sport attitude discription, Its great for both. 400 mile days for a jaunt thru the mtns of W. NC are fun and comfortable. Say that after riding A gsxr or RR bike smile.gif

Maybe this is splitting hairs too much, but perhaps the VFR is a 'sportbike' whereas a CBR-type is 'supersport'? :goofy:

Non-riders who don't know bikes probably see all motorcycles as falling into one of four groups:

-Cruisers (Harleys, etc.)

-Sportbikes (any race-style bike w/fairings)

-Tourers (think Goldwings)

-Dirtbikes (including dual-sports)

Of course there are also naked sportbikes (like the Speed Triple), standards (like the SV650), adventure bikes (like the BMW GS series) and scooters, too.

• Member Contributer

The VFR is more sport than touring. True sport tourers are more comfortable, have more amenities, come standard with hard bags, have a taller windshield., etc. The VFR is a sport bike, it just isn't a super sport or race replica (like the CBR.) A lot of people sport tour with the VFR because of its all-day ergos and so that's why they call it a sport tourer. I've never ridden an ST1300 or an FJR but I hear they have a much more refined and luxurious ride than a VFR.

My premiums are far lower than what I'd be paying for a CBR. They should be lower because VFR's don't get stolen anywhere near as often or are involved in anywhere near the number of accidents as the super sports.

We need to stop spending time beating this dead horse subject and more time riding! Remember, it's not what you ride, it's that you ride.

• Member Contributer

The VFR is a sportbike. CBR, ZXR, GSXR, R bikes are all street legal race bikes. The term SportBike is pretty broad I guess.

• Member Contributer
I get the same thing Nicole, I probably spend less time riding with cruisers than you though. I do love sticking the 'couch' up the inside of new R6's while their t-shirt clad pilots look on in amazement. :goofy:

Yeah, I was on a ride a couple of years ago on my '84 500 Interceptor and just quietly listened to the horsepower this and that BS before the ride. I normally don't ride too hard on the street, but several of these trash-talking guys on new 600s got a little schooling while looking at the back end of the 500 for a couple hours. :goofy: A similar thing happened last year on the VFR and the response of one of the 600 riders afterwards was "That thing is f***ing sick!"

The VFR is the chameleon of motorcycles. During the week, I have the bags on and commute to/from work on it. On the weekends I pop the bags off (sometimes) and go for rides in the Rockies with people on supersports and have no problem keeping up.

That said, I'll reiterate my plea for Honda to give us a V-4 750 or 1000 supersport that sheds 100-150lbs...something along the lines of the RC30/RC45...

So I've been a VFR owner for about 2 weeks now and have been describing my "new" bike ('93) to my friends and family who aren't riders as a Sport Touring bike...which I think is fair. Anyone who knows bikes, knows of the VFR so description is not necessary.

So I thought it was interesting when I saw this when researching the new models. The Interceptor is listed under "Sport" on the Honda website

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/s...ModelId=VFR8008

It's only listed as a sport bike in North America and Australia. I guess they figure if they listed it as a sport touring bike, no body would buy it. Ah, the power of marketing. :goofy:

UK: Sport Tourer

Spain: Sport Tourer

France: Road / Grand Touring

Germany: Tourer / Sport Tourer

Australia: Sport

Canada: Sport

• Member Contributer

Most of the literature I have read about the VFR refers to it as a sport touring bike. I think it is more sport than touring.

For those of us who like spirited riding, but want long distance comfort it is the best street bike on the road.

A couple of summers ago, one of my friends hooked me up with some other riders for a day of riding. I had never met most of them and there seemed to be some concern among them about the "new guy on the VFR". One of them politely reminded me that I should "ride my own pace", and the faster riders would wait at each turn off. Not knowing some of them I assumed they were probably pretty fast, so I started at the back.

Ended up passing several of them.....one on a Hayabusa. They were all pretty cool about the whole thing and the guy on the Hayabusa started asking me about my bike. :P

• Member Contributer
My fat pig Vtec is my Sport Bike and I have never been left behind by any other bike in the twisties! :goofy:

That's because there is no one else crazy enough to try to keep up with you........... :P :P :P

My fat pig Vtec is my Sport Bike and I have never been left behind by any other bike in the twisties! :goofy:

That's because there is no one else crazy enough to try to keep up with you........... :P :P :P

I seem to remember a bunch of your bike in my mirrors at the last race paced T-Mac ride! :goofy:

VFRs are sportbikes if you want to use them as such. Just ask famous English bike racer Ron Haslam who raced a bone stock VFR in the Transatlantic race in 1985 and finshed third.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

The VFR is a sportbike and always has been. The issue here is that when the VF/VFR...any of them up to the third generation were new bikes they were as focused and hard core as any bike sold in the mass market (Excluding such bikes as the OW-01/FZR750RR and the first or second generation GSXR's).

Sportbikes as a whole, about that time, really started to evolve toward being more track focused. So the VFR got split into two entities, VFR and RC30. After that, the VFR was developed more as a street oriented sportbike (4th, 5th and 6th generations). The RC30 then begat the RC45 which then got the axe because because of the 750cc limit for multi's. Since it could no longer compete with Ducati's 916 on the race track (largely because of the displacement handicap) we got the short lived RC51...Now we are stuck with nothing but CBR's

My 4. gen was classified as a sport bike by my insurance company, and I had to pay 1000$ for the insurance.

When I got my 6. gen, they said it was a touring bike and the insurance cost went down to 500$.

My 4. gen was classified as a sport bike by my insurance company, and I had to pay 1000$ for the insurance.

When I got my 6. gen, they said it was a touring bike and the insurance cost went down to 500$.

I agree wholeheartedly with your insurance company! :goofy:

But I only pay $400/year for insurance on my 4th gen!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Seb, surely you wouldn't do something like that!! My image of you is ruined....er, I mean reinforced.... :goofy:

I just call my VFR a VFR. Good enough for me.... :goofy:

Archived