Vfr=sport Bike?

Guest R0cketScientist

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

That's what Ive kind of always thought of it as too....is an adult's sport bike.

The vfr is and always has been classified as sportbike and nothing else. It just so happens it's a sportbike you can tour on.

A gentlemans sportbike.

Yep. It is a great bike, and that is all that really matters.

I like the distinction between "Sport" bike, "Race" bike, "Cruiser", and "Touring" bike...that makes a lot of sense to me.

Very interesting point about the marketing...apparantly us yanks like our sport bikes!

Oh yeah, and my insurance considers my 3rd gen a Touring Bike -> cheap insurance!

• Member Contributer
Maybe this is splitting hairs too much, but perhaps the VFR is a 'sportbike' whereas a CBR-type is 'supersport'? :goofy:

Non-riders who don't know bikes probably see all motorcycles as falling into one of four groups:

-Cruisers (Harleys, etc.)

-Sportbikes (any race-style bike w/fairings)

-Tourers (think Goldwings)

-Dirtbikes (including dual-sports)

Of course there are also naked sportbikes (like the Speed Triple), standards (like the SV650), adventure bikes (like the BMW GS series) and scooters, too.

Hmmmm, I have bikes in three of these catagories...........I just refer to all of em' as "Fun Bikes"....... :goofy:

They all fit "THIS" catagory............... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
My fat pig Vtec is my Sport Bike and I have never been left behind by any other bike in the twisties! :rolleyes:

:wheel: ..... :squid: ........................ <_< .....................Nuff "said"..... :P

• Member Contributer

VFR=SPORT Touring

ST1300/FJR1300= Sport TOURING

Goldwing etc = TOURING

Definitely sports bike with touring credentials, I spent 2 years on a CBR6 doing the same miles I do now.. but with my VFR, I'm minus the buzzy revvy engine, no ear pain from the missus complaining of arse ache and I still get to wind up that angry VTEC when I feel like it and reminds me of my cbr .. oh and did I mentioned better weather protection, a temp/fuel gauge (ohh I love those gauges) - The VFR is still in a class of it's own

... whether I would say the sprint st is DEF a sports tourer, nice power but dull compared to the naughty vtec engine… I like a powerband myself.

My insurance company thinks it's a sports bike. Anyone else... I don't really care what they think.

I use mine as a sports bike. For touring, I have a truck and trailer :rolleyes:

I agree, the insurance does classify the VFR as a supersport , The vfr was the first real modern day sport bike , I remember I wanted one with the came out in the early 80's

They are not present day Race replicas, but theres lots of sport bikes that arent present day race replicas, yet they are sport bikes .

I dont know about everyone else, But I know my bike has a very Lexus performance type of Prestige , its mainly sport though with little tour.

Sport bike? Touring bike?

My cruiser friends hate it when their girlfriends ask me for rides because they want to 'go really fast'. I guess getting to the speed limit quickly must excite them...

My sportbike friends hate it when their girlfriends ask me for rides because the VFR has 'a real seat' and 'doesn't break my butt after five minutes'.

My girlfriend? Read the big red letters below.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Honda had it under touring back in 2003. In 2003 I bought my 02 VFR and I went looking for it on their website and I was pretty sure it was under touring. Now a couple weeks ago, I went to look it up again on their website as I was about to buy another VFR. I went to touring and I couldn't find it. I then found it under sport. I'm sure it is all about marketing smile.gif

Well I'd just like to say that I went riding today with a couple of buddies of mine. One was on a Ducati 900 Sport, the other on a CBR. We went on a 1 hour ride through some twisties and I told myself...I'm gonna RIDE this bike today...I'm gonna see what this VFR is all about. Yeah its pretty, and I've read everything on the web about the bike, and I've driven it around town...But, this was my first REAL ride on the VFR.

Well let's just put it this way...I'm sitting here this evening still exhilarated from the ride. I pushed my comfort zone today and was impressed to with how the bike performed. I was well able to hang w/my buds...but I scared myself a couple of times...

So now I can weigh in on my own post smile.gif

VFR = Sport Bike!

RS

• Member Contributer

Glad you enjoyed it... But stay within that comfort zone for a while, alright? If for no other reason than they are not making any more '93s.

Glad you enjoyed it... But stay within that comfort zone for a while, alright? If for no other reason than they are not making any more '93s.

Yeah, I hear ya. I found the edge for me for now, and I'm backing away...

My point was the bike will take you there, and beyond...

I get ya...it is a rare bike :rolleyes:

RS

My fat pig Vtec is my Sport Bike and I have never been left behind by any other bike in the twisties! :rolleyes:

I've never ridden with you. :goofy:

Your right, No one has! +1.gif

:P

BTW I would never take any speed challenge on the street, on the track yes! :thumbsup:

There's aways someone faster and crazier than you, but the track is the only proper environment to find out! :salesman:

By no means am I claiming to best fast, just skilled. My point is that a decent rider on a VFR will have no issue running with about any bike in the twisties. :thumbsup: So many people think HP equals speed, it does not unless your only going in a straight line and what skill does that take? B)

...My point is that a decent rider on a VFR will have no issue running with about any bike in the twisties. :thumbsup: So many people think HP equals speed, it does not unless your only going in a straight line and what skill does that take? B)

:goofy:

The VFR is quite a capable bike. Sure, it may take a bit more work to go equally as fast on the VFR compared to a CBR, but the rider makes all the difference.

Obligatory track photo! :rolleyes:

th_pir_20080224_1276.jpg

Yup, the VFR looks like a sport bike! :thumbsup:

My friends that don't ride can't tell it apart from a crotch rocket. My friends that do ride know that it's a comfy sport bike. Depends on your outlook on things. =)

Your right, No one has! +1.gif

:P

BTW I would never take any speed challenge on the street, on the track yes! :thumbsup:

There's aways someone faster and crazier than you, but the track is the only proper environment to find out! :salesman:

By no means am I claiming to best fast, just skilled. My point is that a decent rider on a VFR will have no issue running with about any bike in the twisties. :thumbsup: So many people think HP equals speed, it does not unless your only going in a straight line and what skill does that take? B)

I've ridden with a couple of people on here, but all kidding aside I agree the track is the only place to push it. You haven't felt hp until you've felt the hungry growl of a stock hawk gt! It's the only bike I ride close to it's limits on the street and thats only in the mountains.

Here is another obligatory trackday photo....

2r7rrs1.jpg

• 4 months later...

well i kinda understand why honda wants to portray their vfr as a sportbike. even though it has evolved GREATLY over the years, the first gen VFR interceptor (1986 - 1989) actually WAS a straight out sportbike. no touring in mind, no bags to put on, just flat out, balls to the wall, V4 performance and handling. it wasnt till 1990 that honda gave the vfr a less agressive seating position and gave it more of a "touring" feel.

besides, try to ride one of these 1st gen bikes all day long like one of those later model vfr's and youll understand...its a great bike for its day, but a touring bike it was NOT.

• Member Contributer

2r7rrs1.jpg

Damn, you win the lean angle game. If you stuck your inside elbow out you would need elbow sliders. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

2r7rrs1.jpg

Damn, you win the lean angle game. If you stuck your inside elbow out you would need elbow sliders. :fing02:

I've seen your pics Jeremy, you aint no slouch yourself :fing02:

BTW, nice pic fastf2337 :biggrin:

I was at the 7-11 the other day, getting some hamberger buns. When I got back to my bike, this old guy was lloking at it and the following conversation took place:

Guy: That is one great looking bike.

Timmy: thank you, I like it too.

Guy: do you mind if I ask you about this thing?

Timmy: not at all.

Guy: I have never even sat on a bike and I dont know anything about them, but this one is different.

Timmy: Yea, you dont see too many of them.

Guy: It looks like one of those super fast bikes, except more comfortable and more practical. I bet it cost more than 5 bucks.

Timmy: It wasnt that expensive. Do you know what it is? Most people ask me if it is a BMW.

Guy: I was going to ask you if Mercedes made bikes.

Timmy: Its a Honda VFR800 Interceptor.

Guy: Oh. Well I wont keep you, but there is just something about this one......

Timmy: I agree, you have good taste.

Guy: No, YOU have good taste.....

Fire the motor........

Guy: It even sounds different!

Like I have said before, I bought this bike before I ever rode ANY VFR. I just used the arguement that if you asked a martian, who has no loyalties, no emotive ties, no brand loyalty, and no idea of cool to examine what was the earth's best bike, he would have to say VFR.

And now that I have 6500 miles on one, I agree. I hate honda, but I love my sportbike VFR touring commuter station wagon.

Archived