Trip Planned

Guest girardi09

Guest girardi09

Hello Everyone,

It has been a dream of my to take a long motorcycle trip. The idea has gotten more intense after the Long Way Round, Long Way Down, and numerous other books and websites that have got me all excited a year in advanced (by the way check out 2canadiansonbikes.com).

After all of that, I am planning to do a 3 weeker in 2009 (I cannot do it this year do to lack of vacation). I would like to go with my buddy (who also has a VFR) which he would normally, but knows he won't be able to do next year.

My questions, is how long of a trip have you done by yourself? How long did you do each day? I am planning a 18 or 19 day trip that covers 5400 miles, picture is below. I have never taken this long of trip, let alone by myself. I do have contacts in about half of the city's that i will be stopping at.

What are you thoughts?

gallery_3001_3612_333773.jpg

DCP_2123.JPG

gallery_3001_3612_65512.jpg

Route.JPG

my thoughts are "I wish I could go with you!!" :thumbsup: What a great opportunity. I look forward to your posts on prep and of course you have to do a blog during your adventure...sadly, my longest trip was only 700 miles round trip, so no great advice to offer.

• Member Contributer

I enjoy 400 mile or less days.....every 100 miles after that starts taking the fun out of it for me. I've ridden over 800 in a day about 4 times, and several 600-700 mile days, including (4) 600 mile ones last year.......... :thumbsup:

5400 miles in 19 days should be easily done with 250 mile days, or if you kill time at interesting stop-overs, still should be able to make them up with a few 300-350 milers thrown in...........like turtlecreek, wish I could do it right now, but not possible "YET"........................good luck on your trip.............. :thumbsup:

I did a solo tour in 2006, 7031 miles in 13 days. Left from NY rode south to Virginia, NC, TN, then I-40 to Albuquerque, I-25 to I-10 to Tucson, then from Tucson up 191 to 40 to Flagstaff & the Grand Canyon, then west to NM, north into Colorado, rode the Million Dollar highway and on to Colorao Springs, then I-70 west through Topeka, KS to Indiana nd back to NY.

My shortest day was 240 miles, longest days were the last three @ 550, 650, & 785mi respectively. First day was ~600 miles.

Fun times! :thumbsup:

gallery_5444_2144_443556.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 005.jpg Getting on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Fancy Gap, Virginia, 8/27/2006

gallery_5444_2144_299586.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 044.jpg Viffer at the overlook

gallery_5444_2144_148632.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 048.jpg One of the many times I wished I had a friend around to take my picture...

gallery_5444_2144_272826.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 053.jpg Breakfast at Leeper's Fork with Baileyrock

gallery_5444_2144_100750.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 061.jpg Welcome to Oklahoma, fasten your helmets and don your rain gear!

gallery_5444_2144_98640.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 078.jpg Welcome to Texas!

gallery_5444_2144_12220.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 086.jpg Going over this hill was like crossing into a new dimension, grasslands gave way to sand and rocks and mini-canyons, and I knew New Mexico was not far away...

gallery_5444_2144_245902.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 088.jpg New Mexico

gallery_5444_2144_317573.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 092.jpg On Route 66, heading west in New Mexico

gallery_5444_2144_206490.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 116.jpg On Mt. Lemmon in Tucson with Esteban(CB 919), and Sean(Monster 620).

gallery_5444_2144_341404.jpg

Mt.Lemmon6.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_2192.jpg

Coronado Trail.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_1575141.jpg

Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona Wasn't such a fine sight to see....<br /><br />Unless I missed something?

gallery_5444_2144_47750.jpg

Heading up to Mt. Graham Give me twisties or give me death!

gallery_5444_2144_295143.jpg

Living on the edge on Rt. 191.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_531960.jpg

Grand Canyon!.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_1747203.jpg

Rt. 191, aka Rt. 666.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_895820.jpg

On the way to Farmington 2.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_303144.jpg

You've got to be kidding me!.jpg I swear, I was ready to tear my hair out for lack of turns!!

gallery_5444_2144_74319.jpg

Outside Kayenta.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_668934.jpg

Riding among Giants.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_189946.jpg

Color-ado!.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_457850.jpg

Feeling like a million dollars.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_57286.jpg

Monarch Pass.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_325691.jpg

Garden o.t.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_143172.jpg

Garden o.the Gods.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_255215.jpg

Garden of the Gods.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_685495.jpg

Me & Lee.JPG

gallery_5444_2144_263763.jpg

Rt. 30 detour put me here.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_489599.jpg

Seb's USA Tour 2006!!! Lee and his dad made me this awesome shirt!!

• Member Contributer

as for riding and that. Longest I have done so far was a 4 day ride. Stock bike. Didn't carry too much. Tent, sleeping back, some clothes, hydration pack. Covered 1200 miles. most were done on the first and last day. Not sure about mileage, but days varied from 3-10 hrs of riding. Hopefully all this changes this summer.

• Member Contributer

I did a solo trip this past November. I covered 3500 miles in about 8 days. I did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway in one day... 490 miles i think, that was rugged. It was like 26 degrees up around Mt. Mitchell. Did the dragon (first time), all of 28, the Cherohala, US129, 60, the Wolf, 348, Warwoman, 421, WV33, 39, 16 ...all of it, and it was all awesome. Even snuck out to Myrtle Beach to warm up for a 2 days. It was also good to break it up into two pieces. About 2000 miles, 2 days off, then another 1500. Did I mention it was awesome? :thumbsup: I have no idea where I'm going this year, North ? South? West? Somewhere, thats for sure.

One tip I will give you. Unless you are camping or traveling on/near interstates, I would call in the afternoon for a room where you are going to be by supper time (gps helps a lot here). I had a real bad expience few years back chasing 'no vacancies' through the woods one cold night...didn't get a room until 11am the next morning... It was one of those real bad nights, the kind you dont look back on and laugh about. If I was alone it would have been even worse.

Enjoy some pictures (the last one is what I brought with me).

gallery_11136_3613_105433.jpg

S5000283.JPG

gallery_11136_3613_1396892.jpg

S5000284t.jpg

gallery_11136_3613_1190583.jpg

S5000288.JPG

gallery_11136_3613_632887.jpg

S5000289.JPG

gallery_11136_3613_773140.jpg

S5000291.JPG

gallery_11136_3613_351555.jpg

S5000292.JPG

gallery_11136_3613_117607.jpg

S5000296.JPG

gallery_11136_3613_2458.jpg

S5000297.JPG

gallery_11136_3613_891973.jpg

S5000298.JPG

gallery_11136_3613_762619.jpg

S5000278.JPG

• Member Contributer

1999 rode my VFR750 about 5K alone - Wichita, KS to Blue Ridge Parkway, back to Wichita and then west to Utah - down to Phoenix, AZ and then back to Kansas. In 2001 did shorter WV to Oklahoma City to Ozarks - back to WV on same VFR750. Have also done 4-5 Houston to WV and back on ST1100 and GS850 alone.

Riding alone allows for, IMHO, the most freedom to ride how and when you want - I've done numerous 600+ mile days and numerous 150 mile days...depending on how I felt. Always try to avoid interstates...

Dang Seb! Way to hijack a thread. :lol:

Nice pics though.

Longest solo trip I took was from LA to Portland and back, 2,000+ miles I forget exactly.

That was a great trip, but years ago. Gotta do a long one like that again sometime soon if I can. +1.gif

I suggest considering bringing a sleeping bag and tent.

I ended up camping on a little beach in NoCal, Navarro beach I think, one night.

No room at the Inn, at least no rooms I could afford then.

Woke up to early fog, and headed for the closest diner a few miles down the coast.

Better memory than if I'd moteled it for sure. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

If I am doing twisty roads 400 miles is the max for me and I prefer 300 or less miles so I can pull over and see other things.

I split time between dives and campgrounds. The best is to bum a place from a friend.

Most of my tours end up being 5-8 days, which seems to work out well.

med_gallery_2144_2004_750125.jpg

Sometimes I haul/trailer to avoid hot slab work.

See Sebspeeds threads for food pictures and what I eat! +1.gif J/K Not really :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I did a solo 6300 mile trip in July '05 from WA to PA and back. I usually rode between 350 to 450 miles each day. I stayed 2 days in Custer, S.D. for a rest and time to visit Deadwood and the Mt Rushmore & Crazy Horse memorials.

The longer distances were when I was riding partially on super slabs. The longest leg was 580 miles from MI to PA. I pushed that day to make the family reunion dinner that evening.

Keeping the distances short allowed me to stop to take photos and have time to look at the scenery rather than having everything pass by and not really seeing where I had been.

I camped in a tent and also used KOA "Kamping Kabins" and hotels. The best night was being in my tent at the KOA grounds next to Devil's Tower, WY. Quite a view in the evening.

I wish I had kept a journal to record what my days were like. I have photos, but also taking notes would recall more memories.

I kept to a time table on the way out. The return trip was not planned in detail. I just looked at the map and asked the locals which roads to take.

I hope to repeat the trip next year, revisiting some places and trying new routes and locales.

One other thing, have extra fuel. I was close to vapors a few times and was glad I had those MSR fuel bottles if I ran out of gas.

Edit to add camping/touring lists links:

http://wetleather.com/reference/camping.html

http://www.rcb.org/camping.htm

http://users.net1plus.com/holbrook/camping.htm

Never less than 500 miles a day and 700 to 1000 miles happens at times.

The trick is to not be in a hurry and enjoy the ride'n part, that is what it is about. If you have a yellow highlighter route you must follow with prescribed stops it starts to become more like work and your worn out by the end of the day.

When camping those miles go down, ya must break camp in the am and I like to set camp before dark.

I haven't done more than about 450 miles in a single day, and I've never done a long-distance tour. My long rides have either been point-to-point to a destination 400 miles away, or 400+ miles riding to and among SE Ohio twisties and then back home again.

I rode up to Ontario last year for a friend's wedding, then down to Indiana to my parents' house the next day. Those were solo days and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I like riding with friends, too, but I like the freedom and solitude of riding alone sometimes.

I really enjoyed all the pix and stories above. Thanks for sharing them, everyone. I dream of heading out west or to the northeast, just me and my bike, packing essentials and maybe even taking a sleeping bag and small tent and camping along the way. But I can't take a solo riding vacation, leaving the wife and kids at home, feeling very selfish in the process. Maybe someday, but for now I take a day or two at a time instead and visit closer twisties and beautiful scenery.

Sorry for the highjack, didn't realize I added so many pics... +1.gif It's to start clicking away in the gallery, and it was a long trip, lots to see & share!

I really oughta rebuild that ride report one of these days... :joystick:

• Member Contributer

Not exactly the Long Way Round, but I did do about three months in Europe once... A few years later I managed another six weeks (this time on my VFR). I became a Youth Hostel expert. I think I started off with camping gear but ditched it once I realized I was too much of a softie! Neither trip was I in a hurry, nor did I end up going as far and wide as I'd envisioned, but that wasn't a problem. I was a student of life and loved (nearly) every minute of it. My hot tip was: the best way to meet people is to spend time in the communal kitchen--worked every time (sometimes very well wink.gif). I've got loads of pics, too, but most of them are still on the slides I took them on. One of these days...

Unfortunately, the only way I could get enough time off for another long trip like those is if I (i) got divorced and (ii) was in-between jobs! sad.gif

Way to go!! :thumbsup:

Now THAT sounds like a plan. Sounds very doable actually. You will have some long days as delays and detours just can't be avoided. You've got plenty of time to plan it down to the last detail. Having friends' places to crash at will save you big money over 19 days. Even if they just cover half of the nights you're on the road. Take only what's necessary, and then rethink what's REALLY necessary. Get your hands on some gear that can be washed in the shower with you and will dry overnight, there are fabrics designed specifically for that. That will save space as, although clothes don't weigh so much, they take up space.

I find the most aerodynamic luggage set-up on the VFR to be a topbox with some other form of bag (I used a two tiered tankbag from my other VFR) strapped onto the passenger seat up against the topbox. Sidebags tend to hit things if you let your guard down in traffic or tight spots and would probably decrease mileage a little. Others may disagree.

An important decision should be made before you leave as this will dictate how much gear you need to take. Will you be "roughing it" and camping or "living it up" and staying at hotels/motels/hostels? I ask because, I left on a +5000 km trip with every intention of camping to save on dough. I purchased a tent by asking for the lightest most compact but storm-proof tent they had: 100 € at Decathlon. I already had a custom made alpine sleeping bag, very warm and lightweight, crushable into a compression sack to save on space. I bought a few compression sacks for clothes as well. I couldn't have got it all in otherwise. I also had a thinsulate camping mat which inflates ever so slightly between two layers of some sort of foam, this insulates you from the ground and is surprisingly comfy, and rolls down to a real small size. I used my Evolution riding jacket for a pillow. Bought one of those microtowels, does the job just fine and squeezes dry. I took a python-style motorcycle lock (Luma brand) just in case. Never used it!!

I mentioned making up your mind on accommodation before you go as, I took all that camping gear and only ended up camping a few times!! Could have had such a lighter load and got better fuel economy and enjoyed the twisties that little bit more, etc, etc...

It is much more economical to camp, but I find it detracts from the riding experience having to locate the camping grounds that I researched, or people advised me on earlier, because they are far less ubiquitous than hostals and pensiones and motels and such over here. So rather than spending (read wasting) time on tracking down the camping sites, I found it much more enjoyable to follow my route, or even if I'd detoured, to just keep on carving up the curves until I had about an hour left of sun, and then started keeping an eye out for something, preferably in a small village, something family operated, as they tended to be cheaper. Occasionally I couldn't avoid paying more as everything was booked out. Even so, the nights I camped evened things out. Thing is, as much as you mark it on a map... many are in out of the way places and easy to miss.

It was just easier that way. I had a rough figure of 500 kms per day to cover if I was going to see everything I planned on seeing. This was easy to meet. (Especially if your gear is weatherproof). Some days were less (not many) and most were more. I like to get up late so, I would stop riding around sundown. I took a whole day off for rest on a Sunday (MotoGP was on) at this gorgeous camping ground, at the half way point of the trip. This is important to avoid fatigue. I still couldn't avoid the fatigue catching up with me on the last two days. I did less miles on the last two days, that is, I broke up what was to be a straight through ride home (800-km day) into two shorter ones. I just couldn't keep going. It didn't help that I was slabbing in order to maximize time in the Pyrenees. Between the return to 40ºC heat and high humidity from what had been cool mountain weather, and the boring straights on the highway and the accumulated fatigue. I had to stop every hour. Oh yeah, the monkey butt didn't help either and I wasn't carrying any GoldBond or BenGay!!!

Take some more tools besides the kit that comes with the bike. You will be glad you had them. Nothing worse that having a real simple problem with a real easy solution but just not having the tool!!

I found I had quite a few pairs of underwear that had seen better days, and so what I did was bring like 12 pairs, 8 old ones and 4 new, and used and threw the old ones daily until I got down to the base number of 4 new ones, which, washing every night then made it through to the 15 days of the trip.

I took some jeans. Take up lots of room and are heavy but do come in handy.

Get some reliable maps, I bought several brands and they do differ.

Take extra rechargeable batteries for your phone and camera and rig up a 12V cigarette lighter socket to charge up the one you're not using while you're on the road... see tightwad's stuff on this site or go to http://www.wiremybike.com you could even get a replacement R/R in case you have issues on the trip and just plug in the new one and keep riding. I did carry a mulitmeter with me, and a tyre-pressure gauge.

Those little towelettes are great for wiping the bugs off your helmet and visor at the end of the day, actually I used several a day so they wouldn't bake on over the course of a warm day. A roll of garbage bags is good to, for all sorts of stuff.

Take chain lube and use it everyday: Get up, have breaky, hit the road for half an hour, stop to fill up on gas and now your chain is warm so you can blast it with lube. Or, do it when you stop for the night, but do it while she's warm. A lubing a day keeps the... ah never mind!!!

Anyway, I’m sure that’s plenty for you to digest for now. Why don’t you check out my thread on the Pyrenees trip:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=35962&hl=

Oh yeah, TAKE A NOTEBOOK and keep a journal of spending and things you discover etc... and take lots of photos. At first I would ge off the bike to get the best angle, but slowly got lazier and just took them from the bike, it does eat away at the time factor. Although, just enjoy the ride, take whatever detours you feel inspired to. It's your trip, enjoy!!

• Forum CEO
Hello Everyone,

It has been a dream of my to take a long motorcycle trip. The idea has gotten more intense after the Long Way Round, Long Way Down, and numerous other books and websites that have got me all excited a year in advanced (by the way check out 2canadiansonbikes.com).

After all of that, I am planning to do a 3 weeker in 2009 (I cannot do it this year do to lack of vacation). I would like to go with my buddy (who also has a VFR) which he would normally, but knows he won't be able to do next year.

My questions, is how long of a trip have you done by yourself? How long did you do each day? I am planning a 18 or 19 day trip that covers 5400 miles, picture is below. I have never taken this long of trip, let alone by myself. I do have contacts in about half of the city's that i will be stopping at.

What are you thoughts?

gallery_3001_3612_333773.jpg

DCP_2123.JPG

Route.JPG

Gotta revaluate UTAH and Colorado, southern UT has some of the greatest scenery in the world, hwy 12, bicentenial hiway are a must do! Then by all means do the million dollar highway in Colorado hwy 550 durango to ouray its a must do as well. That road from Vernal to Steamboat is rather uneventful as you have it on your map - do yourself a favor and dont miss out on the best UT and CO have to offer. Nevada is well a drone, but hwy 50 "the loneliest highway in America" is a really soulful ride. waves of small mountains you that go on for what seems like hours, it spits you out close to the good stuff in UT. You wont regret it!

Full Size

this route gives you

NV highway 50 "loneliest highway in America"

UT zion national Park mount carmel

UT hwy 12 Escalante Grand Staircase

UT hwy 95 "Bicentenial Highway" - Capital reef, Canyonlands, Glen Canyon,

CO 550 Million Dollar Highway

CO 50

CO 92 Black Canyon Of The Gunnison

CO 133 Panoia, Mclure Pass, Redstone

CO 82 Independance Pass

CO 24 Leadville (tallest peaks in colorado)

I-70 nice views here

CO 119 Peak To Peak highway (Rocky Mountain National Park in sight)

and it aviods Denver ( a pain in the ass traffic jam)

check out my videos from all these places

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...=03&id=1065

Riding alone allows for, IMHO, the most freedom to ride how and when you want - I've done numerous 600+ mile days and numerous 150 mile days...depending on how I felt. Always try to avoid interstates...

I haven't done any really extended trips. I think I need to change that. I'm lucky my best riding friend and I get along great when we ride. It probably has something to do with I usually plan where we are going and he is "along for the ride," and he's perfectly content with that. I'll lay out the maps and ask for his input but his reply is usually something like "I don't care man, just go where you want and I will follow." Or "Hey Kevin, where do you want to eat?" He will reply "Where ever you want is fine" He's just indifferent on simple things such as these.

We discussed planning a trip a couple of years ago that we never got around to taking, but I would love to take someday, I don't remember the exact route but it was something like leave TN, hit Colorado, Grand Canyon, to San Diego, up the left coast to Seattle where we both have family. Then back to TN. Looked like about a 6,000 mile trip. Maybe someday.

• Member Contributer

I haven't done any really extended trips. I think I need to change that. I'm lucky my best riding friend and I get along great when we ride. It probably has something to do with I usually plan where we are going and he is "along for the ride," and he's perfectly content with that. I'll lay out the maps and ask for his input but his reply is usually something like "I don't care man, just go where you want and I will follow." Or "Hey Kevin, where do you want to eat?" He will reply "Where ever you want is fine" He's just indifferent on simple things such as these.

We discussed planning a trip a couple of years ago that we never got around to taking, but I would love to take someday, I don't remember the exact route but it was something like leave TN, hit Colorado, Grand Canyon, to San Diego, up the left coast to Seattle where we both have family. Then back to TN. Looked like about a 6,000 mile trip. Maybe someday.

SOUNDS GOOD.................. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

The longest trip I ever did was about 11,000 miles. Michigan to California, then north to Alaska, then back to Michigan. About 2/3 of the trip was solo. I picked up another rider in Cali and we rode together to Alaska and back down the Alaska Highway, he split off in BC and went back to Cali while I went into Edmonton for tires, then back to Michigan. Almost all backroads. I was out for a month. I had a lot of days with no riding at all - three days on the ferry, three days waiting for tires in Edmonton, a couple days in Cali just loafing at my friend's house. The days I did ride, were mostly in the 400 to 600 mile range. The hardest day included 350 miles of gravel - I don't recommend that.

I hadn't planned to go to Alaska when I left my house. I was only going to California. But I got laid off just before I left. I'd been planning the trip all winter, so I decided to go anyway, and find a new job when I got home. So the schedule became open ended; the only constraints were financial. In California, I was at my friend's house and he told me he too was laid off. Ten minutes later we had decided to go to Alaska.

The most adventurous trip I ever did was about 5000 miles of riding, in three weeks. I flew to England, borrowed a bike, and joined a group from the V-Strom forum for a tour of the Balkans.

I haven't taken the VFR on any trip that was more than a thousand miles or so. Yet.

I've uploaded a few trip pics to a gallery here, people can go see my gallery if they like.

I'm with Slammer on the alternate route. Been that way in a cage, would be nice to try it on 2 wheels. That highway truly is the lonliest highway in America.

• Member Contributer
Hello Everyone,

What are you thoughts?

Route.JPG

Looks like a great trip!

If it were me, I'd include the Coast 1 highway in CA from (at least) Cambria to Monterey; and would choose US 2 or HWY 20 going east from Seattle. Also I'd stick to the coast through Oregon as you have shown - many photo ops along this route. These are more scenic but slower routes.

Time of year would also be a consideration.

When would you intend to travel?

Oh, and of course pashnit

:thumbsup:

I hadn't planned to go to Alaska when I left my house. I was only going to California. But I got laid off just before I left. I'd been planning the trip all winter, so I decided to go anyway, and find a new job when I got home. So the schedule became open ended; the only constraints were financial. In California, I was at my friend's house and he told me he too was laid off. Ten minutes later we had decided to go to Alaska.

You almost make me wish to get laid off. Almost, but not quite. :thumbsup:

This has been great thank you. I am a bit nervous about taking on this big of a trip by myself. I am fairly cheap and plan to camp as much as possible, but I want to avoid exhaustion.

Miguel, thank you for the advice. I will definitly take your advice. Here is what I have planned so far, I will have to adjust the Sacremento through Colorado peice:

Milwaukee, WI

Sioux Falls, SD - 500 miles

Rapid City, SD- 347 miles

Billings, MT - 373 miles

Missoula, MT - 342 miles

Moses Lake, WA - 304 miles

Seattle, WA -176 miles

Newport, OR - 320 miles

Brookings, OR - 207 miles

Ft. Bragg, CA - 237 miles

San Francisco - 183 miles

Carson City, NV - 214 miles

Vernal, UT - 650 Miles

Denver, CO -315 miles

Lincoln, NE - 485 miles

Dubuque, IA - 389 miles

Milwaukee, WI - 240 miles

Are there any thoughts of putting together best motorcycle roads of the United Sates on a National Map? Everyone could update their favorite roads so that people know where to ride and which roads to hit. I had just thought it would be nice to put something together for people traveling through non-familiar areas to know where the best roads are.

I know there are various websites that are give good advice, but sometimes can be hard to research if you unfamiliar with the area. Thoughts?

Are there any thoughts of putting together best motorcycle roads of the United Sates on a National Map? Everyone could update their favorite roads so that people know where to ride and which roads to hit. I had just thought it would be nice to put something together for people traveling through non-familiar areas to know where the best roads are.

I know there are various websites that are give good advice, but sometimes can be hard to research if you unfamiliar with the area. Thoughts?

All I can say, is you'll have a much better time by requesting to meet with members of the board, and having them guide you through their turf. Some folks would rather not make their playgrounds public, and one has to respect that. Yes, they're public roads, but look at Deal's Gap and Shady Valley...

Here's another thought to seriously consider: most of the better or halfway decent campgrounds will run you almost as much a cheap motel room. With the amount of highway time you have planned, you'll have many opportunities to stop into the different states' welcome/visitor centers, where you will find coupons for cheap lodging. I paid $19 for a spot at a state campground in Virginia, and $30 for a really decent motel room in Albuquerque. Having heat, locks, and comfy bed and a couple hot showers was well worth the extra $10, IMO.

Lots of the state campgrounds have websites, or at least a listing on the states' official website, where you can find prices.

IT PAYS TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Archived