I Have Found What Caused The Flat (part Ii)

oyama

What to replace?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What to replace and what to keep?

• Replace valve stem only, keep the tire
    • Replace valve stem and tire
    • Replace tire, valve stem looks fine
    • Keep everything, you were just out of luck

• Member Contributer

As you guys know from here I got a flat rear tire about a week ago. Finally I had a chance to look for what caused the flat and it seems to me I found it.

2008_01_31_tire_leak_001.jpg

I inflated the tire at a fuel station and I instantly heard that it was leaking air. I got home and I washed the whole tire and soaped it up. The only place I saw bubbles was at the bottom of the valve stem. When I touched and moved the stem it let out more air. sad.gif At closer inspection I noticed a few scratches on the rim. I found out that probably the valve stem was moving so much that a centrifugal force? was able to bend it to the rim. Thus, letting out air faster!

2008_01_31_tire_leak_009.jpg

My question would be that can I get away with just changing the stem valve? Or should I change the rear tire too? The tire still has plenty of thread on it and the tire is not even a year old. I was going to change the tires a few weeks before T-Mac.

• Member Contributer
My question would be that can I get away with just changing the stem valve? Or should I change the rear tire too? The tire still has plenty of thread on it and the tire is not even a year old. I was going to change the tires a few weeks before T-Mac.

An interesting question. The longer you ride on a flat tire the more heat goes into it and the more damage it takes. A paranoid man would replace the tire, just in case the carcass has been damaged. Or you could say "she'll be right mate!" and just ride the thing.

Balint - the close up photo - almost looks like someone pushed down on the stem hard enough to scratch the rim?? COuld that be possible?

I have the same stem on my rear tire i think - is that a Gold Wing stem?

I'd re-use the tire - once you replace the stem, fill it up look for leaks - and ride it.

There have been threads about those 90 degree valve stems. . . You didn't have a cool skull for a cap did you?

I don't know if it's true but you're swaying me toward the "it's true" camp. If I were you, I'd change out the valve stem, blow it up, soap it up just like you did before and see what happens. You didn't really ride that far on the tire. Everyone knows that off roading a street tire doesn't really count toward the mileage. :lol:

Seriously Oyama, replace it, soap it and, barring bubbles, ride on it.

• Member Contributer
There have been threads about those 90 degree valve stems. . . You didn't have a cool skull for a cap did you?

I don't know if it's true but you're swaying me toward the "it's true" camp. If I were you, I'd change out the valve stem, blow it up, soap it up just like you did before and see what happens. You didn't really ride that far on the tire. Everyone knows that off roading a street tire doesn't really count toward the mileage. :lol:

Seriously Oyama, replace it, soap it and, barring bubbles, ride on it.

Neah, I did not have any special cap on it. I used the regular factory one. However, I found it funny that CycleGear recommended the metal stems over rubber because the metal ones are more durable... :unsure:

Normally if the tire is damaged, there is a lot of black rubber "powder" inside the tire. If there isn't any and the tire looks good, I'd run it. If it got hot enough and ran flat enough for the insides to start coming apart (producing the powder), I'd change the tire. From your story though, it sounds like it should be just fine.

Neah, I did not have any special cap on it. I used the regular factory one. However, I found it funny that CycleGear recommended the metal stems over rubber because the metal ones are more durable... :unsure:

They come with a support bracket=> previous topic on 90deg valve stems <=

Balint - the close up photo - almost looks like someone pushed down on the stem hard enough to scratch the rim?? COuld that be possible?

Yeah, that someone is called Centripetal Force. You too have been warned Ken wink.gif

Not sure if the rim holder will match the VFR wheel.

I voted for replace the stems (I would get me a set of bridgeport valve stems) and keep the tires.

• Member Contributer

O:

Would something like this work better?

Was your stem a push in type or bolt from behind?

I ask as I'm about to swap out my shagged shoes for new ones and I need to replace my stems also. I haven't changed the stems since I bought my bike in '00. (or checked my valves, or changed brake and clutch fluid).

I have a LOT of work to do this spring (my garage is detached and not heated, been too darn cold in New England to work on the bike)

-travis

sad.gif At closer inspection I noticed a few scratches on the rim. I found out that probably the valve stem was moving so much that a centrifugal force? was able to bend it to the rim. Thus, letting out air faster!

2008_01_31_tire_leak_009.jpg

Yeah, that someone is called Centripetal Force. You too have been warned Ken wink.gif

Not sure if the rim holder will match the VFR wheel.

I voted for replace the stems (I would get me a set of bridgeport valve stems) and keep the tires.

No way José. It is definitely not Centripetal Force. (Centripetal is the one which keeps an object in angular motion, such as gravity for a planet in orbit, in the case of the wheel it's mechanical/physical, the whole wheel is one piece of metal, it can't increase or decrease its own radius).

Centrifugal force is the result of an object's tendency to want to go in a straight line and thus fly outwards on a tangent when spinning around and I doubt there's enough centrifugal force to bend a valve like that so much it marks the rim. If it's a really soft pliable floppy thing there may be enough for it to bend the valve, but for it to mark the rim like that, that's a rather forceful strike!!!

I have heard of non-OEM valves hitting the rear bake calliper on their way round and breaking, causing flats. Maybe yours is hitting the calliper that would cause enough of a strike to mark your rim like that. Either that or someone doesn't like you and steps on your valve stem every time they go past your bike. :goofy: Seriously, there are some twisted people out there, there's this old guy in my barrio, he's got more of an obsession for wanting his dog to pee on tyres than the dog. I've observed him, he won't let the dog move on to the next car until he's peed on a tyre, he's there like, "come on come on" egging the dog on... I had to explain to him, and an old lady, not to let their dogs piss on my rims anymore, because apart from it being my private property and the urine is difficult to clean off, my chain-lock runs through the wheel and I've got to use my hands to get the chain off and I don't want to be handling their dogs' biological waste!!! :unsure: :pissed: :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Got way lucky, sir. If the tire has no flat spots, on it, change the stem, and roll on. Reminds me of how lucky I was, having the tires changed at T-Mac, last yr. LOL. There was a about .002" of the inner wall of the stem holding the whole top end of the cap on. **wheew**

• Member Contributer

Oyama,

Bring the tire to Cycle Goodies on Ridgewood near Fun Machines in Holly Hill. Ask the owner, Bill, or my good friend, T.D., who changes tires there to help you out. If T.D. is there (young balding guy), tell him Pat sent you there and he'll probably hook you up with a new valve stem.

BTW, I'm going to be heading down there in Feb for a little vacation and am thinking about putting the VFR in the bed of the truck depending on the weather. I'll let you know if I do and maybe we can meet up at Hooters for Tuesday Bike Night (if they still have it). :thumbsup: or take a little spin through Tomoka State Park.

-Pat

Personally i use a bath tub to check 4 leaks..

I also dont have to worry about the misses asking where the black streaks in the bottom of the tub came from :unsure:

"Just be happy they're not brown streaks hunny" :pissed:

• Member Contributer
Personally i use a bath tub to check 4 leaks..

I also dont have to worry about the misses asking where the black streaks in the bottom of the tub came from :unsure:

Streak it up enough, and you don't need a bath mat. I wet sand in mine. :pissed:

• Member Contributer
Gets yourself a pair of these :thumbsup:

valvestem.jpg

Ok...I'll bite...where'd you get 'em?

My vote would be to replace the stem, soap it up, and (if it don't leak...) ride it!

-Cheers...

• Member Contributer

Something interesting I learned while reading through the rules for land speed racing is that "All valves must be metal, positive locking (no pull-through), with metal caps, and safety wired to resist centrifugal forces." I guess they were having issues with guys sucking valvestems into their tires at 200+ mph.

Now that's scary! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Triumph Speed Triples come with aluminum 90 degree valve stems, along with some of their other models......can be purchased seperately................ :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Ok...I'll bite...where'd you get 'em?

My vote would be to replace the stem, soap it up, and (if it don't leak...) ride it!

-Cheers...

OOOOOOOOO.... nice! :goofy: Where and how much $$$ (arm, leg, first born?)

thx

-t

It all depends on how long or if the tire was run completely flat or close to it. You need to pull the tire anyway so when it's off carefully inspect the inside of the tire to see if there's any internal or rubber damage showing. If there's no sign of damage add a new stem and run it! :thumbsup:

It's hard to tell you your picture, but it looks like you have these types of valve stems.

VentoStem.jpg

BAD!

You need to get some of these:

th_Enkei20-20Bent20-20Pair.jpg

GOOD!

:goofy: to this.

the local dealer put the top one on my bike and they SUCK as they are not rigid enough to allow you to push the air house or gauge on without using 2 hands. i use the bottom ones normally and they are awesome!!! sorry, cant tell you where to get them online as i get them at the track.

• Member Contributer

For safety sake I recommend that you at least have the tire removed from the wheel and have a look inside for indicators of rim wear (ie. rubber dust, rubber particles, internal cuts and wear). The tire can look great from the outside but be completely un-safe based on the internal damage. This all is affected by how much distance you were running on complete flat rear as you went across the 3-4 lanes on the highway.

I've had tires on cars do the same and they look GREAT on the outside, but once you remove the wheel and look inside you see a whole different picture. Unlike a car tire.....the bike tire takes on much more flex and stress and you want to have full confidence what is keeping you rubber side down. IMO....I'd inspect the tire internally for damage in order to make a decision to keep or replace.

Are you sure it was just a bad valve stem? or was it.......... :goofy:

woman_with_knife.jpg

Archived