I Have Found What Caused The Flat (part Ii)

oyama

What to replace?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What to replace and what to keep?

• Replace valve stem only, keep the tire
    • Replace valve stem and tire
    • Replace tire, valve stem looks fine
    • Keep everything, you were just out of luck

• Member Contributer
It's hard to tell you your picture, but it looks like you have these types of valve stems.

VentoStem.jpg

BAD!

You need to get some of these:

th_Enkei20-20Bent20-20Pair.jpg

GOOD!

I believe I have the top one with the caps shown on the bottom picture. However, mine is silver color instead of the yellowish as your picture shows.

Just thought I'd chime in here.

I had some 90's installed on my rims ~30K miles ago.

The rubber around the stem degenerated and both failed within 2 weeks of one another.

Went to the Local Honda Dealer to have them replaced. THE DEALER DID NOT HAVE A VALVE STEM IN STOCK !!!

They said they would order them, . . .. . .. .

I had to go to the local chopper shop to get them.

Lesson Learned.

Cheers, . .. . ... . ... .

Gets yourself a pair of these :thumbsup:

valvestem.jpg

Ok...I'll bite...where'd you get 'em?

-Cheers...

OOOOOOOOO.... nice! +1.gif Where and how much $$$ (arm, leg, first born?)

thx

-t

Here:

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearch...amp;collection=

lg877791300.jpg

And be warned, don't overtighten them. (No, I didn't either, just a heads-up, they're aluminum)

• Member Contributer
Are you sure it was just a bad valve stem? or was it.......... +1.gif

woman_with_knife.jpg

Double-oyama?

:goofy:

wow, $30!! the others are about $5-10 dollars (look up enkei valve stem on ebay)

also, make sure you get the right size as there are different ones....anyone know which size hole the VFR has?

wow, $30!! the others are about $5-10 dollars (look up enkei valve stem on ebay)

also, make sure you get the right size as there are different ones....anyone know which size hole the VFR has?

11.3mm

The cheapie ones I've seen are just that, cheapies.

• Member Contributer
Are you sure it was just a bad valve stem? or was it.......... +1.gif

woman_with_knife.jpg

Double-oyama?

:goofy:

10038487ATimothy-Dalton-James-Bond-.jpg

• Member Contributer
10038487ATimothy-Dalton-James-Bond-.jpg

Man, you guys undercover so much about my secret life. +1.gif

However, I took my wheel back to CycleGear where I bought it from in the morning. I asked them a question "Does the valve stem has warranty?" They said yes, then I showed my tire for them and told them my little story as well. They agreed to change the stem for free and also make sure that the tire does not have any damage. Well, I got lucky. According to them the tire still looked undamaged. :thumbsup: I picked up my tire in the afternoon with 36PSI. I hope the pressure will be 36PSI on Sunday night as well, then I will put the wheel back and will ride it until the tire lasts. :goofy:

Will Oyama('s tyre) keep it up??

Has the warantee brought this story to a happy ending??

Are the guys from Cyclegear honest to goodness??

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of...

Bond.... Gold Bond!!

Gets yourself a pair of these :thumbsup:

valvestem.jpg

I did! :thumbsup:

They were rather pricey, by the time I paid 49 UnZud ShekelBux for 'em, then another 40 to have them fitted. :blink:

But they look so FINE!!

Now I just need someone to notice them and say how FINE!!! they look. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
1, Will Oyama('s tyre) keep it up??

2, Has the warantee brought this story to a happy ending??

3, Are the guys from Cyclegear honest to goodness??

4, Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of...

Bond.... Gold Bond!!

1, Yes, it seems the tire holds the pressure pretty well. It was 36PSI yesterday morning before I took off for work.

2, I would say it did. CycleGear replaced the valve stem for free. I did not have to pay for anything at all. :thumbsup:

3, I do not know what "honest to goodness" means... :rolleyes:

4, So, a little time line information just in case you want to know what to expect if you need a roadside assistance from HRC

06:00:00PM I got a flat rear tire on I-95

06:00:10PM I landed in the ditch miraculously unhurt

06:05:00PM I crawled out of the ditch and parked my bike on the pavement

06:08:00PM I sent a text message to a few people about what happened, I am OK, I am going to be late, do not call me back

06:12:00PM I called HRC for emergency roadside assistance

06:15:00PM My wife called, even though I mentioned not to call in the text message, while I was in hold with HRC :beer:

06:30:00PM A real person at HRC finally answered my call

06:32:00PM My wife showed up with my baby and my mother :blink: Apparently nobody believed me I was OK.

06:33:00PM My mom got out of the car and walked around my bike not believing it was unscratched.

06:34:30PM I finished my conversation with HRC. I was informed that I should get a tow track in about one hour.

06:39:00PM I got an automated message from HRC that tow track has been dispatched

06:48:00PM I was getting hungry, so I asked my wife to bring me some food

07:17:00PM Wife is back, I am sitting in the warm car munching food

07:40:00PM Tow track arrived and my wife left

08:30:00PM Tow track delivered my bike and I parked it in the garage

So, depending in your location it could take quite a time to get help. I was only two miles away, both ways, from the interstate exits. I do not really want experience how long it would take to get help if I am somewhere in middle of nowhere.

1, Will Oyama('s tyre) keep it up??

2, Has the warantee brought this story to a happy ending??

3, Are the guys from Cyclegear honest to goodness??

4, Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of...

Bond.... Gold Bond!!

1, Yes, it seems the tire holds the pressure pretty well. It was 36PSI yesterday morning before I took off for work.

2, I would say it did. CycleGear replaced the valve stem for free. I did not have to pay for anything at all. :thumbsup:

3, I do not know what "honest to goodness" means... :blink:

4, So, a little time line information just in case you want to know what to expect if you need a roadside assistance from HRC

06:00:00PM I got a flat rear tire on I-95

06:00:10PM I landed in the ditch miraculously unhurt

You were one lucky dude. Did you buy a lottery ticket afterwards? Maybe you were on a roll?? :rolleyes: :beer:

Glad to hear you and the bike were unscathed (green with envy am I). Although, 4'50" sounds like a long time t crawl out of a ditch unscathed, I'd have been at my bike in 2 seconds flat to see how she faired!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, you guys read my story about my rear tire going flat on me on the highway few months ago. Guess what happened on Wednesday, just before Bikewek, while I was going to work? The same thing happened but this time my front tire went flat! :pissed:

I was on the highway, again. I just passed a semi, again and the front of the bike started feeling funny. I was just at my exit, so I exited carefully, making sure not leaning too much. While I was riding slow I noticed how hard is to turn the bike. Since I was only about a mile away from work I decided to ride the bike to work, very slowly. When I parked the bike I was able to confirm my suspicion. that my front tire was flat. Not only my front tire was flat but it was flat because the 90 degree valve stem was leaking!!! :pissed:

I did not want to bother with towing, I just arrived to work. I figured out I just work first and call tow service an hour before I am ready to work. :pissed:

The next day I took my front wheel back to Cycle Gear where they changed the valve steam for free, again. They also informed me that they no longer sell those 90 degree valve steams anymore…

I was on the highway, again. I just passed a semi, again and the front of the bike started feeling funny. While I was riding slow I noticed how hard is to turn the bike.

I had a front go down in seconds at 70mph and there's no turning the bike in that situation, very scary. Thank god the highway was almost straight at that point because trying to get it slowed/stopped was bad enough and trying to change my line was near impossible. Came to rest against the inside dividing wall! :pissed:

Glad you only had a slow leak! :thumbsup:

Oyama - do you know the brand of the tire valve stem that keeps messing with you?

I'm getting a little freaked out by your bike having 2 bad stems in a row. You haven't recently purchased any new Life Insurance have you????

SO - what brand of valve stem is that, that let you down twice?

:unsure:

Sucks that it happened again. Glad there was no crash. :thumbsup:

Sounds like Cycle Gear owes you a couple non defective valve stems. <_<

I see some angled ones on ebay but the say : These valve stems fit most Japanese and American Motorcycles with a standard 0.453" rim hole opening.

I was on the highway, again. I just passed a semi, again and the front of the bike started feeling funny. While I was riding slow I noticed how hard is to turn the bike.

I had a front go down in seconds at 70mph and there's no turning the bike in that situation, very scary. Thank god the highway was almost straight at that point because trying to get it slowed/stopped was bad enough and trying to change my line was near impossible. Came to rest against the inside dividing wall! :idea3:

Glad you only had a slow leak! :thumbsup:

Isn't this where you steer with the throttle? :goofy:

I see some angled ones on ebay but the say : These valve stems fit most Japanese and American Motorcycles with a standard 0.453" rim hole opening.

That is the correct size for a VFR. Ducs have smaller stems.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
Oyama - do you know the brand of the tire valve stem that keeps messing with you?

I'm getting a little freaked out by your bike having 2 bad stems in a row. You haven't recently purchased any new Life Insurance have you????

SO - what brand of valve stem is that, that let you down twice?

:fing02:

I finally talked with the guy who put the valve steams on and according to him those were some generic valve steams. They received them for FREE with some tires. I guess that explains why they were free for them...

Archived