Are You A Part Hoarder Or A Scrapper?

VFRiderGal

New & Improved Part Hoarder/Scrapper Test! What are you?? (Test results can be found in the topic "Are you a Part Hoarder or A Scrapper?"  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What is the total number of two-wheeled items in your possession? (Count all, even if they aren't running.)

• NONE for me! (0 points)
    • Yes, I have 1-3 motorcycles/bicycles in my home. (3 points)
    • Yes, I have 4-7 motorcycles/bicycles in my possession. (6 points)
    • Yes, I have 8 or more motorcycles/bicycles in my possession. (10 points)
  2. 2. If you have one or more motorcycles/bicycles in your possession, what is their condition?

• Fully Functional (3 points)
    • Less than 1/2 are in working order (6 points)
  3. 3. Of the motorcycles/bicycles in your possession, what do you do with the stock parts that have been replaced with an upgrade?

• I sell them asap! (3 points)
    • I store them! (10 points)

Question

• Member Contributer

We all talk about doing all these fantastic upgrades, but I haven't heard anyone talk about what they do with their old parts. So, I was just thinking ( :rolleyes: yes, you smell smoke), are you a part hoarder or a scrapper with your stock parts?

Me, I guess I'm a hoarder. When I do an upgrade, I keep and store all my stock parts. If I ever (forgive me for saying this) sell my VFR (blasphemy), I can toss my stock stuff back on and get some additional cash with the upgraded parts. Then, I can use that cash towards upgrades on the next ride.

Honestly, I plan to pay off and keep the VFR. I'll either continue to store the stock parts, or sell them and use the cash toward a new bike or upgrades for it. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

So, what's your preference???

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Ok, BR... your wish is my command...

Poll has been added and here's where you can find your test results...

0-9 points ----> You're a "Scrapper"! I bet your garage is immaculate! Lucky number: 1

10-15 points -----> You're a "Clunker!" You're the yin to your very own yang! Lucky Number: 37

16-26 points -----> You're a "Junker"! Better watch out!

You'll find your garage giving Fred Sanford a run for his money! Lucky Number: 98

21 answers to this question

Hoard and share is my motto

I still have a tach from a late 70's 280Z....which I parted out some 4-5 years ago. I occasionally find a use for the stuff I have that is different and unique. I have boxes with bits and pieces from all sorts of things, spare parts are ALWAYS good to have.

• Member Contributer

I was a Hoarder,...............not any more. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Well i tend to keep everything, though i hate having so much stuff. I have tried the ebay selling thing, but i just hate to part with things i may need. So to me all the parts and stuff is money in the bank.

I have eight total motorcycles, pus a bike. Two do not work. So in theory, since it is all relative, i have a relatively small hoard compared to the amount of bikes.

Whose sig is 'its all junk until you need it'?

I’m little of both. I still have the stock bars and fender but sold the exhaust because it was taking up too much room. There is a direct correlation between storage space and what kind of stuff you save.

Action

• Member Contributer

I'm monogamous in my relationships and I'm monogamous in my motorcycles...

I only have room in my heart for one...

Every replacement part on Mr.RC45 is stored for prosperity...

• Member Contributer

I store the parts, but not forever. For instance, I used to ride V65 Sabres. I owned several Sabres over a period of years, but I never had more than one running at a time. When a Sabre suffered a crash or mechanical failure that cost more than a new used running Sabre, I would get another, and part the old one in support of the new one. I eventually accumulated a huge hoard of parts. But after I sold the last running Sabre, I released all my hoarded Sabre parts into the wild. I gave some away, sold some on eBay, and threw some out. With no running bike to attach all that stuff to, it was just taking up space in my garage, and I needed that space.

(Actually, I must admit I am still hoarding a few Sabre parts. With my long experience of the bikes, I know a lot about which parts are worth hoarding, and I've kept a few things that are small and highly valuable, because I have a few friends who are still riding their Sabres, and they might need one of these items. Also, there's a cardboard box full of nuts and bolts and springs and rotted hoses, under my workbench, that I have not yet disposed of, and those came off Sabres.)

My VFR came to me with some aftermarket parts. The previous owner was a hoarder, but much like me, he's moved on to a new bike and doesn't feel a need to hoard parts for his old bike anymore. He sold me the VFR as a package deal, with upgraded parts on the bike, and boxes of stock parts that had been removed. I'll hold onto these things as long as I have VFRs, but if I get away from VFRs, I'll let them all go.

19 points for me. :pissed:

The 1983 GS1100 that I have is not in running condition. I got it as a project bike from my Dad, but I've haven't gotten around to fixing it up yet. :rolleyes: It has the typical needs of a 24 year old motorcycle that's spend most of it's like outside under a tarp. sad.gif It needs it's carbs rebuilt, fork rebuilt, new shocks in the rear, new tires (still have the original tires from '83 on them), couple new gauges, new chain, clean up the sprokets, lot's of polish and reconditioner, etc.

My VFR though has been accumluting parts since I bought it. I've got a handful of rear shock parts, an entire set of red plastics (some rash/crack), miscellaneous parts left over from my RC51 fork swap (sold the forks, triples, and front wheel to Sebspeed), a couple of extra handlebar control switches, all the emission crap I took off, my stock fender, two set of clip-ons, two wiring harnesses, a spare engine, two stock exhausts cans (viffer05 is buying one of them), and my stock headers.

My 2005 Specialized FSRxc has upgraded disk brakes and that's about it.

wiring harnesses???

I got 23 points...got shafted on 3 points because all of mine run(I counted the Goldwing as a runner since it works, but is waiting carb rebuilds).

I scored a lot of cheap points for the kids bikes. I didn't count the one razor push scooter for either "pole" because it only has 1 wheel...the other has a sprocket on it but isn't on the scooter.

• Member Contributer

I have 4 mountain bikes. 2 downhill, 1 cross country, 1 single speed, all upgraded with top end parts. I have 3 road bikes. 1 city commuter, 1 open road traveler and 1 race ready. 1 BMX type bike. 1 Giant Stalleto beach cruizer type bike for farting around on the coast while vacationing [really got it as a gift and just cant bring my self to sell a gift] So thats 9 bikes .

As for motorcycles I have my 5th gen and my new KLR. Also there is a 1st gen in my garage but I am expexting the last payment for that in 2 week so it wont be mine much longer.

12 of the 13 2 wheeled things in my garage are mine, in great modded working order, and get used regularly depending on how and where I intend to ride.

BOXES AND BOXES OF STOCK PARTS CHILLIN IN CASE I EVER DECIDE TO SELL ANYTHING

:rolleyes: :pissed: :beer: :squid:

• Member Contributer

Hoard so that if I sell, I'll have all the original stuff as extra value. Do I get 1+1/2 points for having a unicycle?

• Member Contributer

I'm a ho. If I had an Ebay record, I'd sell some stuff. Any advice on how to start building a record on Ebay?

Thanks,

Jim smile.gif

• Member Contributer

I counted at my parents house, since that is still my permanent addy...

1 vfr (mine), 1 ST1300 (dad's), 1 Suzuki 50cc 2-smoke (dad's first bike ever...70s?) project for when i get out of school, 1 Specialized Epic Disk (mine), 1 Specialized FSR (dad's). I have either here in florida or at HOME, all the original parts to my bike, and both mtn bikes and my dad's bike. Although the collection is not as impressive as Baileyrocks. Nor is the garage as impressive as Trace's...

Technically all the viffer stuff is in florida with me, but that is only till next september!

Guest vfrrider

But the answer to the last question depends if I'm going to use that part in the other "projects".

So, am I a part whore, oops, parts whore, well, you know what I mean. Sure, I'm a slut.

Otherwise, sold to any VFRD members ASAP.

Larry

• Member Contributer
I'm a ho. If I had an Ebay record, I'd sell some stuff. Any advice on how to start building a record on Ebay?

Buy some small stuff. The number after your name is the total of your feedback from both buying and selling, so start out buying, get some numbers after your name, then start selling.

Pack rat. I hate to toss stuff that could be useful later.

I've got a few small parts from a bike I sold 10 years ago.

Years of MC magazines in boxes. Anyone wanna buy?

He!!, we changed out a ceiling fan last weekend, and I saved a bunch of the screws and hardware from the old one.

Also the fan blades. They're in good shape, might be useful someday. :salesman:

It's bad I tell ya. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I hoard parts until i get rid of the thing. Don't have too many extra parts lying around though. Only extra parts off the VFR are the old broken plastics. I'm bad with cars though. Had two spare engines AND transmissions from rebuilding my first 3000gt. Bought two more 3kgts and used up a lot of those extra parts though. Only 1 more transmission to use. Looks like i have to buy another gt :lol:

I counted at my parents house, since that is still my permanent addy...

1 vfr (mine), 1 ST1300 (dad's), 1 Suzuki 50cc 2-smoke (dad's first bike ever...70s?) project for when i get out of school,

Kind of scary, but thats our garage, cept its an ST1100, plus 1 katana.

Archived