Anybody Else Regret Buying Their Vfr1200?

Guest RWR

• Member Contributer

Luvtoleanit, while I agree with most things, I too consider the VFR1200 to be a Sports Tourer.

And it's what I need. I've had more than one bike in the garage, it's devastating for my love for bikes: I can't stand one sitting there and the other getting ridden.

At age 51 and with arthritis getting worse, I've had to abandon some dreams bike-wise. And I can't afford more than one bike anyway.

I have a feeling you're forgetting geography and finances. The world is not the USA alone and Honda sells all over the world. For instance, the hyper-sports market has collapsed in this and the surrounding countries. With all the speed limit enforcements, naked is the new trend, has been for some years.

Financially, I had 10 buddies I could go ride with on weekends, do track days etc. Today I have none. There are other things on people's priorities lists. A house, kids, health etc.

The potential buyers market is also old, quite old. Some will prefer the big ST's, others like my neighbor at age 61 get a used Speed Triple and take more time for their warm-up ritual than they do for their actual ride. Which is never longer than an hour. Okay but that's a bike owner too!

The youngest one I know has a Z1000 and that's now just sitting there because he couldn't control himself on two occasions and is facing hefty fines and more than one license ban.

None of my nephews in their twenties are interested in bikes, hell they even have to be persuaded to go get a driver's license! How times have changed!

I'm not sure if the bean counters take all this into account. And maybe you think the MFR's have got all this down to an art, naming this bike 'VFR' was pretty much the stupidest thing they could ever have done.

Let's not forget even Honda gets it wrong in a big way sometimes.

Bikes aren't computers but I still think it's worth taking a look at Guy Kawasaki on YouTube. Not all things may apply but he sure makes some good and surprising points on occasion.

Just my two cents etc.

Well I was referring to the USDM. The bean counters are hard at work in foreign markets also. This is why they are busy 24/7 building 250's, 400's, etc (small bikes and scooters) , for developing markets. The money in literbikes or the fast ones pales in comparison to the 250's and scooters around the world. That is where the $ is and why you see so slow model changes now.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's very true. Doesn't mean they don't get it wrong on occasion.

Me, I'm looking at the MV Turismo Veloce and what KTM is going to do with that 1290 engine they put in the SD R.

The Honda's a great bike but dealerships here are rarer than MV or KTM dealerships.

TC, riding modes, and other electronic aides (not including active suspension) is mostly software, which adds very little to the mfg cost of a motorcycle once the system has been developed by a mfr. Look at the Ninja 1000. Kawi added all that jazz to the 2014 model, and the price actually dropped by $100 vs. the outgoing 2013 model. Kawi already developed their KTRC system for the C14 and ZX-10R, so all they have to do is calibrate it for the Ninja 1000.

As to a VFR1000 sport tourer cannibalizing CBR1000RR supersport, I don't see that either, as long as Honda clearly delineates the two models along different lines. Kawi does exactly this with the Ninja 1000 and ZX10R, and they have been exceedingly successful at it. No reason why Honda could not do the same. I bet Honda execs are just GREEN with envy, looking at Kawi selling the heck out of the Ninja1000/ZX10R, while the VFR1200/CBR1000RR grow stale on showroom floors.

Honda did what they did recently for one reason and ONE reason only: save R&D cost. The 800cc VTEC engine is not exact too old, so they could reintroduce it without a whole lot of R&D investment. The 1000cc V4 dates back to the '80s and is far too ancient they practically have to start from scratch.

Same thing with the VTX1300 - recycled ST1300 motor. Ditto the F6B and Valkyrie - same old DL1800 mill. I'm surprised they haven't brought the 1200 Crossrunner here to amortize their engine R&D cost on the 1200 V4.

Only the cheapie bikes got new engines. Sad really.

• Member Contributer

TC, riding modes, and other electronic aides (not including active suspension) is mostly software, which adds very little to the mfg cost of a motorcycle once the system has been developed by a mfr. Look at the Ninja 1000. Kawi added all that jazz to the 2014 model, and the price actually dropped by $100 vs. the outgoing 2013 model. Kawi already developed their KTRC system for the C14 and ZX-10R, so all they have to do is calibrate it for the Ninja 1000.

As to a VFR1000 sport tourer cannibalizing CBR1000RR supersport, I don't see that either, as long as Honda clearly delineates the two models along different lines. Kawi does exactly this with the Ninja 1000 and ZX10R, and they have been exceedingly successful at it. No reason why Honda could not do the same. I bet Honda execs are just GREEN with envy, looking at Kawi selling the heck out of the Ninja1000/ZX10R, while the VFR1200/CBR1000RR grow stale on showroom floors.

Honda did what they did recently for one reason and ONE reason only: save R&D cost. The 800cc VTEC engine is not exact too old, so they could reintroduce it without a whole lot of R&D investment. The 1000cc V4 dates back to the '80s and is far too ancient they practically have to start from scratch.

Same thing with the VTX1300 - recycled ST1300 motor. Ditto the F6B and Valkyrie - same old DL1800 mill. I'm surprised they haven't brought the 1200 Crossrunner here to amortize their engine R&D cost on the 1200 V4.

Only the cheapie bikes got new engines. Sad really.

+1...

My thoughts exactly. These things add excitement to a line-up and yet cost very little to produce. All the basics are there to add the functionality to VFR1200 anyways, TBW, ABS sensors etc... It shouldn't cost Honda too much to do it...

For some reason, I'm thinking that something like a ST/VFR hybrid would be very very interesting......something similar to the sporting 1000 and 1100 Guzzis from the 90's I just always likee the idea of a longitudinal V engine on a GT or sportbike, especially if it has a shaft drive that kinda follows through with the bike's architecture. Heck!, to make it more exciting, why not a V6! That could look really sexy with six pipes coming out of the engine and joining up to two upswept megaphones at the back on both sides!

• 2 weeks later...

A bigger framed CBR with a V4. And I am there.

Being a shorty, I'll take the CBR frame as is. :laugh: If Honda ever does a 1000cc V4 with the same narrow angle compact unicam heads like the 1200, it'll probably squeeze in the CBR chassis just fine.

Seriously, instead of the VFR1200F now, I would love to have a sportier (but still ST-capable) VFR1000 and a more touring-oriented VFR1200T (maybe bored-n-stroked to 1300) instead. That would be nirvana for me.

I am in the 'No regrets' camp. Two years and 23,000 kms later I want to keep this bike. Still brings a smile to my face and after a long ride I find myself planning the next one. With the Two Brothers pipe I love that fighter plane drone at low revs and then that GP cackle at higher RPM. I find myself dropping back from the group, sitting in lower gears and then catching up just to hear that sound. I have learnt to manage fuel stops, regularly stopping with only half a litre left. Quite predictable and I have never had to walk ( ... Yet!). It is definitely a Sports Tourer rather than a Grand Tourer, and that appeals because I still find the need to lean forward, just not prone as it feels on a S1000 or CBR.

What it still needs that Honda could do?

Cruise control.

What I would like on it, that Honda will not do?

Telelever front suspension.

Stay upright and thanks for all the posts, a great read whoever started this topic. Loving it!

I think the VFR1200 is the best that is available right now. What I would like is bigger OEM cases and better mapping for low speeds. Fortunately you can repair all those after the purchase.

It is always difficult to find a compromize that is suited for everybody. I like this one (especially after my mods).

Just sell it for what you can get and get a different bike.

Those who regret buying a VFR1200F have done so and moved on I suppose...

yep i had a 6th gen got ride of it moved on-- found an old bike that i like better go figure-if i can get modern wheels and brakes on this thing i think it will be almost perfect for me--

• Member Contributer
I bought my 2012 this past June, and did so w/o a test ride. Reviews on the 1200 on this site were accurate for the most part, so there were no surprises when I took my first ride. The 2012+ models are nice in the fact that a true traction control was added. I do not regret buying the 1200, however, I will say its a different breed when compared to the prior gens. The 1200, in my mind, was Honda's response to have a machine that would be closer to a tourer like a BMW K-series, yet still have some sportiness and be more affordable than its European rivals.

What makes the 1200 stand apart from other VFRs? The motor. Amazing brakes, too. That being said, though well balanced for its weight, I find the heavier VFR more fatiguing than prior gens on the longer, twisty-road rides.

I'm also in the 'no regrets' camp, but that's largely due to the deal I got and the fact I have no intention of selling it anytime soon.

If I'd paid msrp and was trying to sell it, I'm sure my story would be different - and that's a shame, because that has nothing to do with how good a bike it is.

It's a fantastic bike.

I could give a damn if it weighed less, it doesn't feel heavy to me and handles better than bikes I've had that weighed lots less.

Fuel economy is fine too. On the road I have an honest 225 mile range ('12), that's on a par with the '12 Ninja 1000 I had that also had a 5.0 gallon tank. Nobody cries about that bike having too small a tank, but the VFR is asked to be all things to all people. The Ninja 1000 is relatively new to the game.

I think Honda hit it out of the park with this engine/chassis combo, too bad it was preceded by a bike with legions of followers expecting to see certain things passed down to the next iteration.

225 to a tankful ??? wow i've never gotten over 170, even on a rest stop to rest stop run on the slab...but i have a hard time keeping this bike under 85 on the highway !!!! :happy: maybe it's the altitude

225 to a tankful ??? maybe it's the altitude

on the road it's not unusual to have the flashing bar appear at 190-200 miles and the countdown computer say "30" (to go). I rolled into a gas station at 218 miles coming back from southern New Mexico and guessing wrong about there being gas available in Roy, NM. Made it to Wagon Mound at 218 miles and took around 4.4 gallons.

The altitude definitely raises my average - but that has included trips to Utah and New Mexico where the altitude is between 4k-7k ft.

Around town, commuting, etc - flashing bar on at around 170-180 miles

• Member Contributer

225 to a tankful ??? maybe it's the altitude

on the road it's not unusual to have the flashing bar appear at 190-200 miles and the countdown computer say "30" (to go). I rolled into a gas station at 218 miles coming back from southern New Mexico and guessing wrong about there being gas available in Roy, NM. Made it to Wagon Mound at 218 miles and took around 4.4 gallons.

The altitude definitely raises my average - but that has included trips to Utah and New Mexico where the altitude is between 4k-7k ft.

Around town, commuting, etc - flashing bar on at around 170-180 miles

Never seen MPG like that, on average 130 miles before the light start flashing, 30 miles later, fill up, 16.5 ltrs to fill. I have had the light flashing occasionally below 100 miles from a full tank, when having a spirited ride.

For sure. I remember driving between OKC and LA yrs ago, and my VW GTI would jump from the typical high 20's to over 30mpg when I get over the plateau into NM and AZ. Downside though is that the engine also becomes anemic. You don't get the high mpg's for nothing. :wink:

• Member Contributer
Never seen MPG like that, on average 130 miles before the light start flashing, 30 miles later, fill up, 16.5 ltrs to fill. I have had the light flashing occasionally below 100 miles from a full tank, when having a spirited ride.

Same here but all my riding is "spirited". Most days I'm at 80-95 MPH cruising and hard out of the corners.

I have found that the quicker my tank empties the more fun I have. Must be a Texas thing. :goofy:

sml_gallery_18558_6982_223875.jpg

I don't see a lot curves in your photo's, just a lot of cows.

:goofy:

When I lived in SE Wisconsin, the extent of curves I rode were mostly the exits and entrances on highways. Cloverleafs were such a big treat!..... No matter how hard I tried to, I can never avoid flat crowning all my tires...... we did not have chicken strips l, we had Turkey strips.....

And oh yes,... we had lots of cows....

Archived