Jump to content

Honda's New ST - NT1100


Skids
 Share

Recommended Posts

I really kind of liked the concept bike. The final is kind of dull. At the moment, my next bike might be the new Tiger 660. Very close to my CB500x but nearly twice the ponies. I'm afraid Ol'Heavy my be hitting the market.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer

I think it's a nice looking bike, WAAAAAYY better looking than the Yamaha Tracer.....

 

Does Yamaha have the DCT? NO!

 

Typical Honda, conservative, nice looking bike.... with great refinement and technology.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer

I rode a DCT VFR1200X for a while..... not sure I'd want it.... ok on a Goldwing.... I'm happy with the very light pull slipper clutch on my Versys 1000.  I'm sure the DCT is fine once you get used to it, but the pre-programmed shift points, etc. didn't excite me.

 

I'd like to ride the NT1100 for fun to see what the fuss is about.  I was on the fence about a Tracer GT for a couple of years, test rode 3 times... the Versys spoke to me way more, and I'm not (yet) thinking the NT can be a whole lot better.  We shall see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is is just me or do the hard bags look a little small for a sport-tourer?

 

Nice looking bike overall, and it seems like a good design for its intended purpose.  And that TFT screen looks bigger and nicer than the touchscreen in my car!

 

While I applaud Honda for making a bike like this, I doubt they'll sell a ton of these.  Same with Suzuki and its latest ST offering.  It's funny...when I started riding in 2006, the vast majority of the popular bikes being sold were either cruisers or supersports.  Times have changed and I think things are a bit more spread out among cruisers, supersports, beginner bikes, adventure bikes, naked sportbikes, sport-tourers, and full-on tourers (like the Goldwing).  But though things have evened out some across different types of bikes, I would guess ST is still the smallest segment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
5 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Seems like a solid bike but uninspiring and yeah, dull. Yamaha Tracer 9 is 10% lighter, 10% more hp and 10% less $$, with some zing.

Tracer is too high for me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
3 hours ago, raYzerman said:

I rode a DCT VFR1200X for a while..... not sure I'd want it.... ok on a Goldwing.... I'm happy with the very light pull slipper clutch on my Versys 1000.  I'm sure the DCT is fine once you get used to it, but the pre-programmed shift points, etc. didn't excite me.

 

I'd like to ride the NT1100 for fun to see what the fuss is about.  I was on the fence about a Tracer GT for a couple of years, test rode 3 times... the Versys spoke to me way more, and I'm not (yet) thinking the NT can be a whole lot better.  We shall see.

I have read that the Versys can get a bit wayward at high speeds. Very high speeds, that is, which means up around 200kph. Otherwise, the Versys seems to be pretty good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, flya750 said:

 

Typical Honda, conservative, nice looking bike.... with great refinement and technology.

Honda had to do something, now the Viffer is no more, and all the others have Sport Touring options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VFR78 said:

I have read that the Versys can get a bit wayward at high speeds. Very high speeds, that is, which means up around 200kph. Otherwise, the Versys seems to be pretty good.

Haven't had a hint of a problem...... I think those that said that did not have their suspension set up properly (too wimpy).  You've perhaps heard of the Pan Weave on the ST1300's as well, for the same reasons...... I like a firmer suspension setting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer

It was said in a Motorcycle Mag, after a test somewhere in the Dolomites, at very high speeds, I think. I have often thought about the Versys, as an update on the Viffer, but it’s a bit tall fo me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
On 10/21/2021 at 5:08 AM, Skids said:

Details released over here today.

 

Full specs & video - Visordown.

 

MCN.


After reviewing further both the new Suzuki GSX GT and the new Honda NT1100......that Suzuki ain't got shit on the new Honda...LMAO!! You don't need 150hp for sport touring...they both have about the same torque... the Suzuki doesn't have a rear top case option, no heated grips, no DCT, UGLY compared to the Honda, the Honda dash is better, the Honda has better refinement, 524 lbs curb weight ain't bad.......Once again.... Honda hits it out of the park........

That NT1100 is a nice bike, my only problem with a bike like the NT1100 is the taller seat height...it discriminates against guys with a 32" inseam 😉 But it also depends on how wide the bike is too?

With that said, if I was in the market and I didn't already have an 8G, I'd be super stoked to get that NT1100.

I still don't believe the VFR is dead forever in Honda's mind....


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jstehman said:

How about a 90 degree v4 no vtec sub 600lbs ?

Hard bags and center stand standard? Sign me up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

 

So much this.  No VTEC.  Just a true gear driven cam liter 90 V4 with some bags.   Plus all the the modern era gives us.

 

But...  I love my 98 ST1100 (NON ABS/DCBS/TCS) so much because it's just a basic fucking great Honda.  But it's heavy.  Luckily Honda was so good during this period that it loses a lot of weight once rolling.  Doesn't help in parking lots with the wife and luggage tho.

 

Plus...  full face helmets in each (nicely) integrated saddle bag.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jstehman said:

How about a 90 degree v4 no vtec sub 600lbs ?

Hard bags and center stand standard? Sign me up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-reviews/ducati-multistrada-v4-pikes-peak-early-ride/

 

There you go. For the simple price of 2.75x VFRs...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
11 hours ago, flya750 said:


That NT1100 is a nice bike, my only problem with a bike like the NT1100 is the taller seat height...it discriminates against guys with a 32" inseam 😉

 

In case you missed it:

 

The suspension changes have brought the seat height of the new NT1100 down to 820mm from the Africa Twin’s towering 850 to 870mm perch. The low seat and fairly accommodating step-over should open up a world of riders to the new bike, something Honda is no doubt keen to exploit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Skids said:

 

In case you missed it:

 

The suspension changes have brought the seat height of the new NT1100 down to 820mm from the Africa Twin’s towering 850 to 870mm perch. The low seat and fairly accommodating step-over should open up a world of riders to the new bike, something Honda is no doubt keen to exploit.

I didn't miss it, no....but still kind of high for the shorter riders. Taller than the 8G. But again, it's not just about the height, it's about the width of the bike.  My 3G VFR750 had the same height as the other VFR's, but the thing was so wide, I wasn't able to go flat footed. On my 8G, because it is much narrower due to the elimination of the fat gear driven cam motor, I can flat foot all day long.... 😉 

So I'm guessing being that it's a parallel twin, it might not be too wide?

The shitty part about getting older, is you get shorter!! 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Don't think I'll ever own a Ducati.  No interest really.  It would end up as a garage queen.  I'd be too worried about scratching it 😅

 

What happened to the Cross tour or whatever the VF1200x was??  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
13 hours ago, jstehman said:

How about a 90 degree v4 no vtec sub 600lbs ?

Hard bags and center stand standard? Sign me up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 


How about closer to 400lbs? It might seem impossible, but, there are ADV bikes getting close to that and they’re of heavier construction. 

 

6 minutes ago, jstehman said:

Don't think I'll ever own a Ducati.  No interest really.  It would end up as a garage queen.  I'd be too worried about scratching it 😅

 

What happened to the Cross tour or whatever the VF1200x was??  


Ducati electronics mean you’ll never know what you’re gonna’ get. 
 

The 1200X I sat on felt like an absolute pig, compared to my Tiger. And, it was very plastic and cheap looking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
21 hours ago, flya750 said:


After reviewing further both the new Suzuki GSX GT and the new Honda NT1100......that Suzuki ain't got shit on the new Honda...LMAO!! You don't need 150hp for sport touring...they both have about the same torque... the Suzuki doesn't have a rear top case option, no heated grips, no DCT, UGLY compared to the Honda, the Honda dash is better, the Honda has better refinement, 524 lbs curb weight ain't bad.......Once again.... Honda hits it out of the park........
 

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but a 150hp sports tourer sounds like an attractive proposition to me, especially if it light in weight too. Whereas the NT is being sold as a tourer. 

 

The VFR1200F sports tourer puts out over 170hp and you don't find any 1200 owners complaining about that. I just wish it was a few kg's lighter.

 

As for your other points, they are all subjective at the moment as none of us has seen, touched or ridden either bike. It is touching that you give Honda the benefit so easily, I've been a sole-Honda man for over 20 years, but I feel they've deserted me with their latest offerings and so I am forced to look elsewhere for where the future of my riding comes from. 

 

Hopefully, I'll get to see and touch both bikes at the Motorcycle Live show early December in Birmingham (Birmingham UK that is, for our cousins across the pond). :beer:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I much prefer the look of the Suzuki. As an ex-GSXR rider I can be certain that the Suzuki engine (of that design) will be hugely torquey and incredibly smooth at low revs and small throttle openings. It will be a bit buzzy around 3-4k but smooth above and, oh lord, the power from 6k up just brings out the hooligan (or the fella who wants really snappy overtakes). I've never ridden a twin so can't really make a comparison in regards to how the power and torque goes down, but in my experience Suzuki suspension has always been sublime; massive feel on the front end yet also extremely plush and compliant whether at speed or tootling. Based on the info available right now I'd easily go with the Suzuki. Yeah, the Honda looks ' nice' but my guess is it will be adequate rather than exciting. Then again beauty and benefits are in the eye of the beholder and holder!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Skids said:

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, but a 150hp sports tourer sounds like an attractive proposition to me, especially if it light in weight too. Whereas the NT is being sold as a tourer. 

 

The VFR1200F sports tourer puts out over 170hp and you don't find any 1200 owners complaining about that. I just wish it was a few kg's lighter.

 

As for your other points, they are all subjective at the moment as none of us has seen, touched or ridden either bike. It is touching that you give Honda the benefit so easily, I've been a sole-Honda man for over 20 years, but I feel they've deserted me with their latest offerings and so I am forced to look elsewhere for where the future of my riding comes from. 

 

Hopefully, I'll get to see and touch both bikes at the Motorcycle Live show early December in Birmingham (Birmingham UK that is, for our cousins across the pond). :beer:

If you're being intellectually honest, you can't justify 150hp on country roads and think you're riding safe or think you're going to keep your driving privilege's.  You appear to be from the UK, I watch alot of motorcycle videos and I don't see ANY roads where you can get your bikes past 90 mph/140 kph? In fact, I almost feel sorry for you guys with those narrow roads and blind spots everywhere. I also see lots of wet weather...;) I do enjoy the views of your country side, however.
My only caveat for the 150hp requirements is if you're a 230lbs/104kg man, more torque and HP would be ideal. 😉 

 

I often ride USA country roads on my modded 8G (110hp) and I easily rip triples all the time....but at the same time, I'm perfectly aware that at any given day, I could get clobbered with a reckless driving ticket, which would ruin my day.

Same reason CBR- RRR SP's ARE NOT road bikes....you can't use the power (200hp) safely on the streets. I'm not sure if you know the 650ib youtube channel, but they do smack downs with their 200hp sport bikes, it's only matter of time, before 650ib's smackdowns will be no more... I'm surprised its been allowed this long and I'm surprised 650lb's WIFE ALLOWS... 650ib lost a friend due their high speed shenanigan's. 

The country roads I ride on are often filled with sand, gravel, hidden driveways, you have to be super cautious with your speed and control. Having 150 hp would not help your cause. This is not opinion.... this is the basic law of speed.... "driving too fast, to safely stop." It's not the speed that kills, it's that sudden rapid deacceleration that kills.

Who doesn't love HP, but the VFR's were discontinued due to Euro5. I think Honda is going to bring back a 9G, V4, probably 1000cc +....?

I do agree that there are two different motorcycles types.... There is a Sport/tourer and there is a Tour/sport.....Two different motorcycles. often thought to be the same. I would classify the NT1100 as a tour/sport.

These guys that are asking for 400lbs/181 kg sport/tour VFR's..... how is a 400lbs/181kg sport bike going to make a good tourer? I like the heft of my 8G for 20% of the time I tour.

IMHO, the Honda 8G is the best SPORT/Tourer on the planet, with the exception of the 7G (I'd say both are the best, but are different class motorcycles........ and I love the VTEC.... super quiet when you need it to be and good fuel economy. My personal choice would be the smaller, lighter 8G.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.