Honda announce VFR “replacement”

Thumbs

• Member Contributer

I think it's a love it or hate it thing.  Sure did not like removing my fairings for an oil change last night, or any other trivial reason.  Sure do like riding a full fairing VFR more than I liked riding my half fairing Bandit.  Prefer the looks of fairings so...if I wanted something past the VFR we are back to things like the Kawasaki Z whatever.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Honda just needs to update and modernize.. Here's a pic from down by Lake Wallowa a month or so ago... 20210821_073221.thumb.jpg.165980d8ada32786c41547be14ad20de.jpgFull disclosure: I bought a '17 BMW R1200RS this past summer, and have ridden it almost 4000 miles sines June 16. I have put 3500 miles on the Viffer too..  However, IMHO there is NO comaparison between the Viffer and the Beemer. Yea, it is a much more expensive bike, but it is thoroughly modern in every way... The BMW electronics site, the chassis, suspension, and brakes are far superior... the 1170cc boxer engine is just plain awesome. Ride by wire and e-cruise is a treat when traveling. It weighs 520#... And.. i can get 200 miles from a tank of fuel, which is enough.. So to me it is worth it cost wise..  Dunno if i will keep the '08Viffer or not. I still grin when i ride it... If Honda builds an equally  modern version VFR I would be very tempted to buy in..

• Like 3

I don't know much about Moto Guzzis, other than that they usually look very cool.  But I would worry about reliability.  And whether there's a Moto Guzzi dealer shop near home in case of a warranty claim.  And parts availability.  Still, cool bikes.  When I was bike shopping last year a local shop had a nice used V9 Roamer on hand.  If I felt like I could have made it into a decent all-arounder (and gotten a good deal on the bike) I might have taken a chance on it.  They're different, and I like that.

Getting back to parallel twins, I think we're seeing more of them in new bikes mostly because they're cheaper to build.  But they also seem to be a good choice for an "average" motorcycle, meaning not a niche bike like a supersport (like an R1) or big bore cruiser (like a HD bagger).  I'm not crazy about the engine configuration, but if the rest of the bike was what I wanted, I wouldn't necessarily turn up my nose at a parallel twin based machine.

• Member Contributer

I worked on various Moto Guzzi motorcycles and they’re built like a brick shithouse

A simple pushrod V twin with shaft drive

I could strip a full dresser down to an engine on a block in just over an hour singlehanded so don’t worry about working on it

• Like 1