1,000 miles in two days, my VFR story starts again after 15 years (long read)

• Member Contributer

Great Yarn.

I’d better go out to the Viffer and get it sorted for a big ride. Alone with your “horse”, in the boonies, can be the best of times.

Shame about the gun toting in the States. Here in OZ only the coppers and mostly hardened crooks seem to have them. Like everywhere, we have our fair share of nutbags, but going shopping is not “usually” an issue.

Enjoy and stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Member Contributer

Love it.  I purchased my '02 back last year (I'm the original owner) after selling it ten years before in 2011.  Never thought I'd ride again either...then suddenly I'm riding my old bike 200 miles through pouring rain and the dark on DC area highways to get this one bike back in my possession.  Makes sense to me!

• Like 4
  • Member Contributer

Nice post Justin.

Reminds us all of the important things in life......family, health, VFRs.  :beer:

Really need to get the bikes out more.

Stay safe and many more miles of VFR happiness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Member Contributer

Great story Justin, thanks for taking us on your ride! Your 5th gen looks a beauty, hope it brings you thousands of miles of pleasure, welcome back to the fold.:beer::wheel:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good read, and nice stunt... welcome among old people 🤣

Thankfully I never sold my bike, just had to dig it out in the garage when time was right again.

• Like 2
  • Member Contributer

Great journey and welcome back! :woohoo:🙂

Colorado through Rockies is amazing trip! I did couple weeks of cycling training through Grand Junction about 20-yrs ago. Did the Tour of the Moon stage of Coors Classic race.

I'll dig through my photos and see if there's some I can post to fill in the blanks.

Have fun with the bike!! 

BTW - I recognise that Mustang! Had an '88 GT-convertible way back when!!! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Member Contributer

Awesome! Ride safe! 

I bought my 97 VFR two weeks ago, was actually looking for a Fireblade, but after I saw the bike on CR and talked to the owner, I had to buy it (after all, this is the closest I can get to a RC30)

My trip, however,  was only two hours to New Jersey.  Rented a uhaul  Saturday evening and picked it up Sunday morning. After we loaded up the bike, John, the previous owner helped me, we were still talking bikes for one hour. Got it home to CT, registered week later (DMV had a special registration event for bikes and boats, was in and out in 10 minutes, new world record) Similar situation,  took a break from riding for 10 years after 28 years of riding (kids and so on) Love the bike and the sound+looks, just have to adapt riding it like a v4 not like Honda Hornet (hooligan bike).

My wife just rolls her eyes and says "I am sooo happy for you!" All good, she understands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Member Contributer

Well written and well presented. 

I always say to anyone who will listen, the only thing we take with us from life is our experiences. Money, Job Title, Possessions in the long term are meaningless.

If you can close your eyes and remember the thrill of being back on your favorite motorcycle, the drone of the bike through Kansas, the excitement in your children's eyes when you get back home, that's something that will remain with you.

About 9 years ago I flew out to Washington Iowa from Maine, after installing a new rear tire and dinner with the PO I headed to Colorado to meet up with some Sab Mag members on my new to me 97 VFR. It was about 12-14 days total.

To this day I can vividly remember my wife's and daughter's faces when I pulled into my driveway.

And Yes, its a long way between trees in Kansas.  

• Like 3
  • Member Contributer

All of our trips should end like this.

❤️

WohiVMW.png

• Like 3
  • Member Contributer

This post has all the hallmarks of a good read - things that today are sorely missing not only in the US, but around the world - things such as family, respect for parents, compassion for those less fortunate, random acts of kindness, recapturing one's youth, adventure, connection with kindred spirits, appreciation for gifts given and what we have, moments of humor . . . I could go on.  And, on top all that, the spelling, grammar and punctuation are all flawless!  How often do we see that these days? 

Well done - lovely photos and a good evening read.  Thank you for posting.  Shiny side up to you, sir!

Oh, and don't call me Shirley!  :laugh:   (If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand . . . )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Member Contributer

I should have added . . . once that artwork's duty is done, I would be sure to archive and hang on to it.  Those types of things can easily be misplaced.   Once your riding days are done, it will be one of those things that you'll pull out, maybe frame and put up on the wall and fondly remember not only your daughter as a child, but the trip.  (btw - I particularly like the "beep beep" for the horn . . . )!  :fing02:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Oh, and don't call me Shirley!  :laugh:   (If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand . . . )

LOL! Glad someone got the reference!  😉  And I think I will frame that drawing. Great idea. 

Justin

• Like 2
  • Member Contributer
3 hours ago, jroberts427 said:

LOL! Glad someone got the reference!  😉  And I think I will frame that drawing. Great idea. 

Justin

Absolutely agree. The kids picture is a non replaceable treasure, a permanent reminder of a wonderful trip and bike.

Frame it and let it have pride of place on the garage wall next to your bike.

The kids as they grow older will always appreciate that there special picture meant so much to their dear Dad.

• Like 3