What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer

35 miles on VFR98 later:

Seat of the pants...there's no question that it runs better and smoother. I do not think that it is the new plugs, as they looked just fine, so that leaves me with the flapper and/or PAIR delete to credit/blame. 🙂 The new Roadsmart IIIs felt super too. The brake pads took a few stops, but now feel really nice and linear. I'm dreadful about wearing parts down to nothing before swapping them out...and trying to get to just shy of the end of reserve before filling up!

Mello dude, thanks for the info on the flapper/PAIR mods to the 2000 with the O2 sensors and cat, and of course for the superb block off plates. I'd like to wrap it all up on VFR00 too. 

Thanks to the forum. I've been able to make so many useful and inexpensive mods to the VFRs because of you guys. 

• Like 4

On 10/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, bmart said:

Seems like it. I sure hope so! 

Just in from the garage from finishing the PAIR delete job. It was interesting. I didn't have anything to plug the inside or outside of the airbox, so I put the short hose back on and had something to plug the hose. It seemed to run okay in the driveway. Testing tomorrow to get an inspection for registration renewal. It should also turn 30k on the ride. 

20231009_165820.thumb.jpg.45b4c37973ddd4dfaa39263abeb61ee5.jpg

20231009_170553.thumb.jpg.978b8d5a4555a7e6c0a32d1864709446.jpg

20231009_165833.thumb.jpg.afadcb725a1d10df396fa8f9b0aea850.jpg

Can one of you explain what a PAIR is? Been out of the ride for some time, and bought a 8th gen in May......

• Member Contributer

Thank the gods and Al Gore for the Internet. I'll do it for you...

PAIR stands for Pulse Air Injection Reduction. Essentially is uses the venturi effect to draw fresh air out of the airbox and into the heads right as the hot exhaust gasses are exiting the cylinders. The fresh air then allows the hot exhaust to continue to burn off unburned fuel, reducing hydrocarbon emissions. Unfortunately, the reed valves allow some exhaust gasses to enter the air box assembly and the continuing combustion taking place in the exhaust system can cause annoying backfires on bikes with aftermarket exhaust systems. Hope the explanation helps, some form of this system has been used on cars as well, although not much recently.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Did the '00 this morning and hope to test this afternoon while I get it inspected. Someone handy could do this in an hour...

• 2 months later...

Has been awhile since posting, I was made redundant back in March after 25yrs so been enjoying some time off and my new job.

Had the valves checked and all good nil adjustment required at 30000kms. Whilst at it Coolant, oil, filter, new Iridium Plugs, clutch and brake fluids, and a good clean. All going well.

Merry Christmas to all.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, PetePower said:

Has been awhile since posting, I was made redundant back in March after 25yrs so been enjoying some time off and my new job.

Had the valves checked and all good nil adjustment required at 30000kms. Whilst at it Coolant, oil, filter, new Iridium Plugs, clutch and brake fluids, and a good clean. All going well.

Merry Christmas to all.

Hi Pete.

And Merry Christmas to you. Phew...I hope you didn't have to blow all your redundancy payments on that service? Good to hear the bike is running great.

Hope your new job goes well, good luck.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, PetePower said:

Merry Christmas to all.

Hello Pete,

Merry Xmas to you too!  

Glad to see you found a new job you enjoy.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 10:29 PM, Grum said:

Hi Pete.

And Merry Christmas to you. Phew...I hope you didn't have to blow all your redundancy payments on that service? Good to hear the bike is running great.

Hope your new job goes well, good luck.

Cheers.

Gday Grum,

Did all but the Valves myself, and delivered bike to mechanics with the plastic taken off so only $850 for the valve job.

New job is a new lease of life for me.

Best wishes for 24'

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Not for mine, but for YOU! Saw these on C-list today and thought someone might be able to use them. 

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/mpo/d/matthews-genuine-honda-saddlebags-for/7705840764.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Took the bike out for the first ride of the year, after a particularly wet winter, I have a feeling that I might have to replace the battery, otherwise it was great 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi All

Sharing 1 Lap on below video, as last Saturday I had a G R E A T time with our beloved VFR at AIA Portimão Circuit in Portugal 😈 aka The Roller Coaster  😈 

This is why I love so much my VFR, I can through 3 Givi cases and enjoy the road with my wife at snail pace, or I can remove everything and enjoy the track 😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer

My favorite track. I hope to ride there some day! Do you have any videos with the camera up a bit so we can see? 

• Member Contributer

☹️  Discovered I have a broken Carbon rear wheel 😳 😭

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Ouch.  Sorry dude.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Ouch.  Sorry dude.

Whoa... double ouch! 😪

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

You must be making more power than it was designed for. Glad you found it before it found you.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Cheers fellas. Trying to find a replacement wheel. Need one for a trip to NW200 in 4 weeks. BST are a minimum 12weeks lead time & very expensive now, not that they were ever cheap. 
Will get the tyre off & see to what extent the rim is damaged. 12years old & 33K miles on it so far. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 4/3/2024 at 7:20 PM, bmart said:

My favorite track. I hope to ride there some day! Do you have any videos with the camera up a bit so we can see? 

Hi BMart

Sorry I'm afraid not =(

• Member Contributer

Looks like the wheel is not damaged & only has cosmetic outer lacquer damage. Waiting on a verdict from BST, but should be restorable to as new look 👍😁 Phew 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So as the rear end is in bits due to my rear wheel issue, I decided to refurb the VFR400 NC30 rear calliper with the Ti kit I bought a couple of years back. Here are some pics of steel v Ti parts. The kit includes new seals, Ti pistons, slider pins, pad retainer pin, banjo & bleed nipple.

IMG_9397.thumb.jpeg.b6e2b90960f3351f763cb55c09d4b814.jpegIMG_9398.thumb.jpeg.e62cad0a182066ad1f7a6f27124dc278.jpegIMG_9399.thumb.jpeg.869d52fd20d41f333046408b3845905e.jpegIMG_9400.thumb.jpeg.83f933b2f9a661a340c3eb0fbe922ea5.jpeg

Just waiting for the new pads to arrive so I can bolt it back together & start bleeding it. 

• Member Contributer

To fix my lack of rear wheel a little research shows the disc mount for the 400 & 800 are common. So I have a stock 800 axle off with a local engineering firm to reduce its length & add a new threaded section to allow me to fit my refurbed custom cush drive & bought a stock wheel to use until my carbon one is repaired. Pics when I get it back. 

• Like 1