Bike Ownership Equation ==>> (N+1)= # To Own

KanadianKen

Sometimes i'll go online and surf to see whats for sale in the world of VFR's - you know - things like Remus exhausts, 8 spoke rims, Sargent seats, etc.... Last week I did just this - and found an 86' VFR about an hour away from me - and the photos of the bike looked half decent. I decided to ask the seller some questions and requested some high res photos - and would you believe it - I got a prompt reply that was not only coherent with legible grammar - but the photos he sent were also as requested - high resolution.

The pricing he was asking seemd fair - not a steal - and not a ripoff - so i figured i'd go have a look. With help from my wife and kids, we were able to dislodge the bike trailer from the snowbank in my back yard and got things ready for Saturdays little exploration........ If the viewing of the bike went well - i wasn't making a second trip to go back for it.

Anyway - with trailer attached - off I went early Saturday.

Got to the sellers house - and he was a helluva nice guy. Had all the paperwork ready to show me - ownership, clear title, and a few spare parts and cover. Pulled the bike out - and it was cold (both the bike and the temperature outside). Put the choke on - and fired it up. Took 4 or 5 rounds of starting it and then it kept running and soon the choke was taken down and it idled very well. I'm not used to the Gear driven cam sound - but i'm quickly becoming quite found of it!! BIke revved up well - and was very responsive.

WIthin about 30 minutes - we struck a deal, and loaded it up onto the trailer. As I drove away - I was pretty excited to be the new owner of a 30 year old VFR 750 Interceptor!!

When the weather warms up - i'll peel the fairings off and have a closer look around. I'll be changing out the brake and clutch fluid, fixing a slow leak in the front tire, and just spend some time getting to know my way around. I will be tossing in a Battery tender in the next couple days - the bike has a brand new battery so i'd like to keep it alive for the winter sitting in my garage.

I'll of course be looking around here on VFRD for a Service manual, and various how to's...... those of you with an 86' VRF - I might be PM'ing you for some guidance!

I'm becoming a firm believer in the math equation used to determine number of bikes that one should own - and "N" is the number that you have now..... (N+1) = N

And of course the obligatory pictures........

post-2784-0-84668500-1453140066.jpeg

post-2784-0-10855500-1453140077.jpeg

post-2784-0-89651900-1453140086.jpeg

post-2784-0-43929300-1453140097.jpeg

post-2784-0-00469200-1453140108.jpeg

Thanks boys - the weather isn't exaclty condusive to close examination of much - but from a quick overall look - it seems pretty decent. Missing the rear seat cowl - so i'll look for a oem piece first - then failing that I'll get an Airtech piece - make up a seat pad - and get it painted.

Front boingers have been gone through last summer - new oil springs and fork seals installed, along with a wheel bearing. Rear shock is likely in need of rebuilding - replacing - will have to look into that for a n economical solution.

Tires are brand new - I honestly don't know what they are though - Pirellia - or Bridgstones.......

WIndscreen is aftermarket - i'd like to find an oem in decent shape - which is likely a longshot.

I hope to be able to bring this one with me to TMAC in MAy so I can legitimately apply the Dragon stickers.........

Looks like a great bike, Ken! Pretty minor little fixes if everything mechanically checks out.

Lockhart Phillips makes windscreens for your bike that are dangerously close to the OEM ones.

Good luck preparing her for the road. At least you have a couple more months of winter to prepare.

• Member Contributer

Very, very nice! That one is on my list of bikes to have, so of course I'm jealous. But seriously, congrats on a great find and enjoy!

• Member Contributer

There is always a special place in our hearts for the women and vehicles we loved in our youth. I was in high-school when that bike came out. They had one just like yours on the floor at Bob Lanphere's Beaverton Honda -- along with Magnas, Shadows, and both red and blue VF500s. The brand new (at the time) Ninjas and GSXRs were also very popular, but that VFR was the bike I coveted most and is almost certainly the reason I bought my 6th gen last year. May it bring you joy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey Ken I had one of these until recently so if you need anything let me know I can sort through the shop and see what is still around . I looked at one close to here but the seller wanted a ridiculous amount for a soso bike . If you are going to TMAC depending on family I can drive as I have a big enclosed traier set up fpr bike hauling and would love to take the Yammie 350 . Let me know what I can do to help . If you want to race that thing I know where I can find some ex HRC motors to just drop in just need wheels suspension etc .

Thanks boys - the weather isn't exaclty condusive to close examination of much - but from a quick overall look - it seems pretty decent. Missing the rear seat cowl - so i'll look for a oem piece first - then failing that I'll get an Airtech piece - make up a seat pad - and get it painted.

Front boingers have been gone through last summer - new oil springs and fork seals installed, along with a wheel bearing. Rear shock is likely in need of rebuilding - replacing - will have to look into that for a n economical solution.

Tires are brand new - I honestly don't know what they are though - Pirellia - or Bridgstones.......

WIndscreen is aftermarket - i'd like to find an oem in decent shape - which is likely a longshot.

I hope to be able to bring this one with me to TMAC in MAy so I can legitimately apply the Dragon stickers.........

Nice find. I have a decent oem windscreen, but distance might be a problemen. If nothing is available nearby, give me a message. Such a nice bike needs an original windscreen.

THe modifications have begun....................

Well - I installed a battery tender on the bike on SAturday - that counts right? LOL

Been too cold to mess with it in my garage - maybe this coming weekend i'll poke around a bit.

THanks for the offers guys! Jim - add to my email i sent you the solo seat cowl - still looking for a Honda piece before I order one that needs to be painted.

• Member Contributer

:goofy::beer:

Sometimes i'll go online and surf to see whats for sale in the world of VFR's - you know - things like Remus exhausts, 8 spoke rims, Sargent seats, etc.... Last week I did just this - and found an 86' VFR about an hour away from me - and the photos of the bike looked half decent. I decided to ask the seller some questions and requested some high res photos - and would you believe it - I got a prompt reply that was not only coherent with legible grammar - but the photos he sent were also as requested - high resolution.

The pricing he was asking seemd fair - not a steal - and not a ripoff - so i figured i'd go have a look. With help from my wife and kids, we were able to dislodge the bike trailer from the snowbank in my back yard and got things ready for Saturdays little exploration........ If the viewing of the bike went well - i wasn't making a second trip to go back for it.

Anyway - with trailer attached - off I went early Saturday.

Got to the sellers house - and he was a helluva nice guy. Had all the paperwork ready to show me - ownership, clear title, and a few spare parts and cover. Pulled the bike out - and it was cold (both the bike and the temperature outside). Put the choke on - and fired it up. Took 4 or 5 rounds of starting it and then it kept running and soon the choke was taken down and it idled very well. I'm not used to the Gear driven cam sound - but i'm quickly becoming quite found of it!! BIke revved up well - and was very responsive.

WIthin about 30 minutes - we struck a deal, and loaded it up onto the trailer. As I drove away - I was pretty excited to be the new owner of a 30 year old VFR 750 Interceptor!!

When the weather warms up - i'll peel the fairings off and have a closer look around. I'll be changing out the brake and clutch fluid, fixing a slow leak in the front tire, and just spend some time getting to know my way around. I will be tossing in a Battery tender in the next couple days - the bike has a brand new battery so i'd like to keep it alive for the winter sitting in my garage.

I'll of course be looking around here on VFRD for a Service manual, and various how to's...... those of you with an 86' VRF - I might be PM'ing you for some guidance!

I'm becoming a firm believer in the math equation used to determine number of bikes that one should own - and "N" is the number that you have now..... (N+1) = N

And of course the obligatory pictures........

attachicon.gifrear view.jpeg

attachicon.giffront.jpeg

attachicon.gifleft side.jpeg

attachicon.gifright side.jpeg

attachicon.gifgarage view.jpeg

Your welcome I didnt snatch this before you ya bastage

• 4 weeks later...

How quickly things change..........

Some truly unfortunate health issues with my Dad have come to the forefront of our lives - and I need to sell this bike, and likely my CRF450X pretty quickly. Adverts will be in the Classifieds soon.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your Dad, KKKen. Life is one big curve ball it seems. You are not alone on that.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear your news Ken. In our age cohort there is a lot of that stuff going around. Good luck.

But I expect the formula to still be relevant in the future.

Archived