Identify This Crap!

Just picked up a new to me, 2002 with 8000 miles. I'm third owner, and the second owner just never ever drove it. He put a grand total of 300 miles during his ownership. I bought it basically sight unseen. Meaning, I drove the 150 miles to him, met him in a parking lot, handed him cash, put on my helmet and drove it the 150 miles back home. I've put probably 200 miles on it since I picked up last week. After reading through the forums, I decided to tackle the PAIR, Flapper and snorkel deal, plus ugly rear fender platic delete. All very easy. Decided to pop open the airbox to have a little look-see, and woah! What the hell is this?

Needless to say, I vaccumed it all out, pulled the filter and everything was nice and clean underneath, thank god. Obviously, a new filter is in order, but anyone have any idea what this is? Looks like maybe hamster food or something?

AC12E06A-0D0E-4934-8469-E2F1F2191CCE_zps

• Member Contributer

Interesting ... it could be something a rodent has dragged in there (see old thread on what the beasties leave in airboxes), but I think I've seen rat poison that looks similar. Maybe the PO was trying to keep them out? :huh:

Rat poison usually works by driving them out in search of water. They will carry the stuff in to hide it away until it starts to take effect. Don't eat any. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Looks like it might be mouse/rat poison if it's not the rodent food shown above.

mouse-rat-poison.gif

+1 Coumadin for you high blood pressure folks.

Roll On VFRD..

• Member Contributer

Looks like it might be mouse/rat poison if it's not the rodent food shown above.

mouse-rat-poison.gif

Roll On VFRD..

Technically, it's an anticoagulant, not an antihypertensive. :goofy:

I bought a spare OEM exhaust off a fella several years back; I'm pretty sure he'd been keeping it off the bike in his basement or garage or something. I ended up cutting it up and doing a full gut - but the rodents had packed a ton of sunflower seeds in there. I never could get them all out. For months, my RWB smelled like roasting nuts when it got hot. :wink:

Mice have been hoarding food, we had mice that would take the cat's dry food and store behind drawers in the pantry next to it! Talk about balls.

• Member Contributer

I used to keep a bag of dog food in the garage until I found the open frame member under the gas tank of my Nighthawk S packed full of it. Now all dog food, bird seed, etc. is in dry wall pails with the lids snapped on tight.

That looks like a k&n filter. Don't bin that - wash it and re oil it. Long as it isn't torn up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

That looks like a k&n filter. Don't bin that - wash it and re oil it. Long as it isn't torn up.

Factory filter Ken ..

• Member Contributer

mouse-rat-poison.gif

Roll On VFRD..

I bought a spare OEM exhaust off a fella several years back; I'm pretty sure he'd been keeping it off the bike in his basement or garage or something. I ended up cutting it up and doing a full gut - but the rodents had packed a ton of sunflower seeds in there. I never could get them all out. For months, my RWB smelled like roasting nuts when it got hot. :wink:

Blood thinner ?

• Member Contributer

Factory filter Ken ..

17210MCWD01P.jpg

mouse-rat-poison.gif

Roll On VFRD..

Blood thinner ?

Yep. It works by thinning their blood out so much that they bleed to death internally. Unfortunately, it will also do the same thing to anything that eats the poisoned rats. Hawks, owls, cats etc. It works, but there are many secondary and tertiary risks. It's bad news.

Those on blood thinners are basically taking a small dose of this to ease the pressure on their heart.

• Member Contributer

You sure those aren't the VTEC engagement pins that have been regurgitated???

One thing that you might want to follow up is whether the little critters that have been using your airbox as a store have also taken to nibbling on the wiring?

• Member Contributer

Rat poison. I have never seen green stove pellets, and mice wouldn't eat those anyway.

I was cleaning out a basement for someone and there were those boxes all along the sill. I also found a dead cat behind the furnace, he probably ate some poisoned mice. That crap should be banned.

You say you drove 150 miles to meet the guy, then rode the bike back. What did you leave behind?

Archived