5Th Gen Rear Caliber Options?

vfrAustin

Question

• Member Contributer

I did a de-link on my 5th gen a while ago. As I recall I capped off one of the pistons to accomplish this and now I it pretty much feels like I have no back brake at all.

Are their bolt on options from other bikes that I can use to get the job done? Really not worth fabbing brackets and stuff.

Thanks in advance

A

25 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I thought the way to do this was to use a jumper line between the center piston and outer piston banjo bolts, This way all three pistons were used at once. Although something tells me a different MC was also needed.

• Member Contributer

I did the jumper line mod and RC51 rear master. Works fine, decent feel, can lock it at will.

I like Seb's idea of the dirt bike MC with integrated reservoir. Not sure if he figured out if his issue was MC or caliper related.

It's the MC, it's designed to push fluid to the rear brake, AND to each of the front brakes.

When I de linked mine, I ran the jumpered line to the third rear piston, and it worked fine.

When I changed to the brembo rear caliper when I put the 1098 rear wheel on with the original mc, it was like sipping on to concrete, no movement, no feel.

I have a rear mc from a gsxr or something- I went to my local wreckers and grabbed whatever had the correct spacing to fit the bracket.

Maybe early 2000 gsxr 750?

Basically, the rear mc is something like 17mm, big enough to push fluid all the way to the front brakes as well as the rear brakes.

What's the OEM front MC? 14mm? And that runs 4 Pistons on the front brakes and 1 on the rear.

Oh, and I think it's huskies that have the integrated rear mc/reservoir. I had one on my old gsxr 711.

• Member Contributer

I think the .45 is about the only other option. You might be able to go to a .454, but it would be a stretch.

:laughing6-hehe:

I think the .45 is about the only other option. You might be able to go to a .454, but it would be a stretch.

I'm a 9mm guy.

That must be embarrassing with the ladies....

• Member Contributer

Austin you should see if you can source (from fleabay) a complete rear brake from a CBR (600, 929, 954 whatever) and use the rear caliper and master from that set up.

You only need to pay attention to the swept area of the rear disc when deciding whether to use the CBR rear disc modded to fit the VFR or mod the mount to fit the CBR rear caliper.

I dont have my notes but last I looked either an 749 or 848 Duc rear caliper and rotor could be mounted onto the VFR ass'y with a little modification.

• Member Contributer

I did the jumper line between the center piston and outer pistons. (I think I was the first.) Then used an RC51 master cylinder (14mm). Its been working fine with good modulation and feel. But curiosity has me wondering if an 8th gen brake plate and caliper would go together clean. Looks like it in the fische, but you never know until you try.

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys, let me flush this out based on the responses. I really did like Seb's rear brake deal on the Blue Beast... TBD

• Member Contributer

I have F4i caliper and MC

That is the direction I am going. Bolt spacing is a match? What did you have to mod, if anything?

• Member Contributer

Check out my (new! improved!) rear brake ratio chart:

post-362-0-12513500-1435304976.jpg
Ciao,

• Member Contributer

CBR600 F4i master cylinder driving all 3 VFR rear caliper pistons works perfectly.

Been running that on mine for a long time.

so you linked the pots? pic?

CBR600 F4i master cylinder driving all 3 VFR rear caliper pistons works perfectly.

so you linked the pots? pic?

I ran two lines right from the master cylinder to the rear caliper, only because I liked the symmetry and they way they run over the carbon hugger and the way it has clamps for two lines.

post-554-0-95639200-1435376654.jpg

post-554-0-30786600-1435376682.jpg

post-554-0-67417400-1435376695.jpg

• Member Contributer

gallery_8220_3361_54070.jpg

F4i master with mello's link mod, works fine.

• Member Contributer

And another way is to drill through the back of the center piston chamber into the transfer port behind it, and then plug the (now) extra inlet.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

^^^ Any of the 3 choices works fine, its all personal taste. The key is the 14 mm master cylinder. --- F4i, Rc51, VTR, possibly the 600CBRs (not sure on the 600s) - all are the same castings and bolt on. Typically you have to hacksaw a banjo position locator and shorten the push rod to the brake pedal mount on them. Easy work....

For the halibut, here's a pic of the caliper mounted in place....

gallery_8220_3361_53235.jpg

• Member Contributer

Capn, where did you get that grommet? Anything special, or just whatever happened to fit? (Most grommets seem to be designed to fit into holes in sheet metal, not castings.)

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

Just something that fit, checked the local auto store and found it. It may have been designed for the firewall of an auto?

Archived