Useful Tool: Extra Slim Jis Screwdiver

MadFrog

• Member Contributer

If you have ever stripped the effing screws on the master cylinder reservoir covers, you want this:

712hiZPFfUL._SL1500_.jpg

Works great, will not strip screws, seems well made.

• Member Contributer

Am I correct in assuming you press on the back of the bit with something while using the leverage of the handle to turn? Is the advantage due to the leverage or just a better formed bit? What I often do for a tight screw is put vice grips on a regular screwdriver and then simultaneously press on the screwdriver while turning it with the vice grips.

It seems like the above would be aimed at something without clearance.

• Member Contributer

Japanese Industrial Standards

The Phillips screws on the master cylinder reservoirs and other things on Japanese bikes aren't actually Phillips, but JIS and using standard Phillips is what causes them to strip.

Those look great for the tank bag or under the seat. I've been meaning to get a regular set of JIS screwdrivers for a while now...

• Member Contributer

Can we have a linky for this. I have just bought a set of JIS drivers and the difference they make is remarkable. A link for JIS bits would be appreciated too.

They must use JIS screws on carburetor bowls too, because those almost strip just by grabbing the #2 Phillips bit. I normally have to use an impact driver (handheld, hammer type) to get them off.

• Member Contributer

Be aware that there is at least one other "weird" screw/driver combo that "looks like" Phillips but is much different. Posidrive screws are more closely related to the JIS. There is a noticeable difference between the edges of the blades but you have to look closely. The posidrives, like the JIS, get a much better "bite" on the screw heads than a standard Phillips. They are normally identified by a tick mark between the recessed surface of the screw head. The tools will normally be labeled as "Pozi-drive" or something similar. Our European friends may be more familiar with these and might be able to provide a pic or two.

• Member Contributer

Egg on Leggs: I got those from Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016VAIBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BCMrider: You can press down on the bit with your fingers - this particular tool is indeed intended for low clearance areas. On my 4th gen with bar risers, I cannot put a regular screwdriver on the "innermost" master cylinder cap screws. And I don't have a stubby JIS. These blade screwdrivers are perfect for that.

wera803: regular Phillips will strip out the JIS screws just by looking at them. Pretty much every screw on every japanses bike that is "+" shaped is a JIS screw and will be much happier if you use the right screwdriver.

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

I bought one of these for the handful of projects I foresee needing them on.

980_usage.jpg

Seb bought me a couple of the Vessels and I love them. I bought a couple as christmas gifts for my friends, and they were blown away at the difference using a JIS head made. Highly recommend Vessel.

900_KIT_4f2c07b5055de.jpg

• Member Contributer

So is there a need for the "regular" JIS screwdrivers or just the "Phillips" type? Just trying to decide if the full kit is worth it or if buying just the 3 or 4 separately is the better deal. I already have a drawer full of screwdrivers which I only use 1/4 of them.

• Member Contributer

Buy them in pieces. A flat head is a flat head. The Phillips/JIS head is the only one you really need. Though the screwdrivers themselves are probably the nicest ones I have ever used. So if you don't already have a set of flatheads, it would be worth it.

I noticed they make a 400 mm long one too. That would be nice for those middle carb boot screws. I have a regular long Phillips screwdriver for that, but it never seems to really "bite" on the screws.

• Member Contributer

Oh great. Something else to spend more money on. :sad2:

• Member Contributer

After having stripped many a carb bowl screw, and having to drill out a couple of MC cover screws, the cost of one of these sets would be a worthwhile investment IMO.

I purchased the stubby, the standard length, and the very long one.

I have more hammers than Yoshi has screwdrivers... and I use these drivers a lot. Can't say enough good things.

Unbiased opinion... if you like wrenching on your bike, you will LOVE these drivers.

Just did a set of 4th gen carbs, the long driver is perfect for the boot screws.

I'm still trying to figure out how I have been working on bikes for 25 years and never realized I needed these.........well, never realized they were out there and different than the screwdrivers I had.

You're gonna smile, then kick yourself, then laugh, then find every screw in your garage to use it on.

At least that's how it went for me... lol

• Member Contributer

The tool i always use on m/c screws is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Cyber-Tool-34-1-7725-T/dp/B00WUADMEO.

The "phillips" head bit fits those screws really snugly and never jumps out. Have carried one of these knives with me for years, great bits of kit. Sent it to be serviced a couple of years ago and they sent me a brand new one FOC saying wasn't worth servicing my old one.

• Member Contributer

You're gonna smile, then kick yourself, then laugh, then find every screw in your garage to use it on.

At least that's how it went for me... lol

:1:

• Member Contributer

I noticed they make a 400 mm long one too. That would be nice for those middle carb boot screws. I have a regular long Phillips screwdriver for that, but it never seems to really "bite" on the screws.

That 400mm long one is one of my favourite tools, EVAR.

One thing that I've always wondered about: if JIS is simply the cross-head standard for such tools in Japan (which it is), and JIS is the standard for such screws in Japan (which is is), then the "phillips" head screwdriver in every Honda toolkit must also be JIS. Not the highest quality, but it should work better than a Phillips...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Damn you guys! All this worrying about stripping JIS screws, I ended up buying a set off of eBay. It has 7 drivers and 1 impact driver. It was $85.50 shipped. $73 + $12.50. That's <$11 per driver.Got it off of eBay from RRR Tool Solutions. Found similarly priced sets on Amazon too.

post-23057-0-98381300-1431388546.jpg

Archived