Sad Day But I'm Lucky

Rob916

• Member Contributer

On the way home from work yesterday, a car refused priority / did not give way to me in a corner, the person coming from a small side road to the right where it is clearly indicated that 'they' must give way to the motorists on the principle route,

tried to miss car, just missed the car, abs worked on back, couldn't put much on the front with the angle i was at and the wet road, unfortunately no road left luckly i had slowed significantely

( only needed another 20 odd cm of tar to swing it back, damb it !!!! ) trajectory was all wrong by now . and the road soaked did not help probably, PR4's held well on the tar. id started to love these tyres.

bike laid down on left side in the split second the front wheel touched the soaked grass, i slid a bit under/with the bike, first one leg, then both under the bike, not sure how .

Rear peg must have caught in the dirt, fliped the bike off me.

this is when i thought, shit, im done for, its gonna fall down on me.... noooooo........... but it didn't happen.

her butt was in the ditch with the nose up, i kindly asked a passer by to switch the ignition off, which he gladly did, i wasn't able to walk.

damage to bike seems minimal, could only have a quick look today . expert will be taking a look next week. the cops had it taken to a local garage.

got breathalyzied too, had not drank anything though as usual .

( right knee could be damaged internally, awaiting further tests ) spidi leather jackets armour saved my arm/shoulder, back protector did good too for the short time the bike was on me. forma boots kept my feet/lower shins safe too. other knee is just scraped a bit. firemen cut off my all weather winter pants and favourite jeans. Scorpion exo 1000 helmet hit the road once, did a good job , necks a bit stiff but otherwise okay.

the person did not stop, luckly witnesses were present, cops and firemen took good care of me.

if i had hit the car i would not have anything to pay or any responsibitly in the matter. Because i missed the car, even with witnesses i have to pay 340€ of the damages and am responsible if they do not find the person.

i prefer this solution, because if i had hit the car, i do not think id be typing this right now, i feel very lucky, and humbled ......

i miss my bike already ........... :unsure2:

the french rescue services are ACE , and all the people who stopped by and helped out by holding my head in the ditch, and protecting me from the rain/hail mix in 2-4 degree celsius winds while awaiting the rescue people were amazing. it happened so fast i never even got to thank any of them...............

as i said i feel very humbled .

keep safe to all,

hugs

rob .

post-31156-0-81062600-1422742972.jpg

post-31156-0-97499500-1422742979.jpg

post-31156-0-24618600-1422742992.jpg

post-31156-0-53399200-1422743004.jpg

post-31156-0-04190100-1422743015.jpg

post-31156-0-04240500-1422743027.jpg

Rob, your very lucky bud...bike can be fixed...your body takes alot more time.....hope the knee is okay. ........Ebson salt in a hot bath for a good 40 minutes will help.

Bike doesn't look to bad, lucky it do a end over end.

Take care

• Member Contributer

Man that sucks. Despite the financial loss, still better to have not hit the car. Those that stopped to assist you reveal that there still are good people in the world. Focus on the positive and heal quickly.

• Member Contributer

Hi Rob.

Very sad to hear of your news, its horrible to see your pride and joy looking rather sick, just happy you've survived with just a banged knee and sore neck. Hope you had insurance and the bike is repaired or replaced ASAP. Better put another order in for the ARROW exhaust!! Speedy recovery and hope you're back on the road soon.

Bonsoir mon ami

Grum.

• Member Contributer

thanks guys,

im basically insured to the max here, they call it all risk . i didnt take all the options ( bells n whistles ) but all is covered . bike is replaced with a new one if not repairable .

i'll try the ebson salt thing duccmann, thanks .

i did not even check the arrow, hmmmmm . oh well .

rob .

• Member Contributer

Hey Rob,

Evasive moves are always iffy in the wet, (I slid under a taxi in Germany once!), really glad to hear your story from you. Sounds like the knee got twisted a bit, maybe ACL tear, I've been through that one, too. Hope it's not too bad. Best wishes on your recovery! :smile2:

Kevin

• Member Contributer

Glad you're here to tell the tale. The details of your gear speak highly of ATGAT. It's a good reminder to us all.

Best wishes for the speedy recovery!

• Member Contributer

Wow Rob, glad for your outcome. My family has a term for the feeling: GTBA (Glad To Be Alive - and walking around).

• 1 month later...

Well done for missing the car and glad you lived to tell the tale!

I know ''bikes can be replaced'' but I'm sure it's very painful mentally to have your pride and joy looking to sorrowful. I wish you and your bike a full recovery!!

• Member Contributer

Bikes can be fixed, or bought again.

Thank goodness it's not any worse for you.

Best of luck for the recovery of your health.

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

thanks again for the support/msgs . :)

knee is coming along, a little bone damage and some ligamants still swollen but the physiotherapy has helped alot. i still have a couple more weeks and the limp is all but dissapeared .

i got the Vicky back today ( my little vfr ) :cheerleader: , knee hurt coming home but hey, i know how lucky i am !!

will not commute for another 6 or so weeks, physio said to take it easy ....

i had to pay 340 € of the damage in accordance with my contract, and the insurance paid the 5 090 € of the rest :ohmy: !!!! thank goodness i was fully insured .....

i must admit i'm having trouble on the roads, everything just seems to go by so quick now, i know it'll pass in time but hell its an uncomfortable sensation to have ...... :wacko:

ride safe,

take care ............

rob . :happy:

post-31156-0-66322700-1426617992.jpg

post-31156-0-04005700-1426618041.jpg

• Member Contributer

Rob - so glad to hear that you're progressing well. You have a very good outlook on things. The bike looks great. Before you know it you'll be back riding like always. Cheers!

i had to pay 340 € of the damage in accordance with my contract, and the insurance paid the 5 090 € of the rest :ohmy: !!!! thank goodness i was fully insured .....

I didn't realise the French models were made from gold and precious stones...

Glad to hear everything's healing up nicely though!

Archived