6Th Gen Galfer Brake Line Group Buy

mk3dub

Question

• Member Contributer

Hello everyone,

Just got approval from the moderators to post this, so here goes!

After recently picking up a red 6th gen, Stoltec Moto and Galfer decided to run a special on VFR braided stainless steel brake line kits. This is for forum members only, so please PM me here. As you can see, www.stoltecmoto.com doesn't even list the VFR...

Pricing:

ABS MSRP: $330.63 plus shipping
ABS Group Buy Price: $230 shipped within US

Non-ABS MSRP: $300.01 plus shipping
Non-ABS Group Buy Price: $200 shipped within US

EDIT:
5th gen MSRP: $310
5th gen Group Buy Price: $200 shipped within US

All kits will be clear lines with silver fittings and include the clutch line.

Group Buy Terms:

• Group buy will run until midnight EST on 12/21/14
  • Ten people are required to obtain this pricing. If more are interested, we'll need another full group of ten.
  • Orders will be placed with Galfer when ten payments are received and will ship direct from Galfer (I will keep you up to date on the build time). Subsequent batch orders will be made in increments of 10.
  • If 12/20/14 comes and goes without enough interest, payments received will be fully refunded.
  • $20 will be donated back to the forum for each order ($200 for each group)!

Thanks!
Nick
www.stoltecmoto.com

Order Roster:

1. dgordon
2. grond1234
3. BTeiger
4. PorradaVFR
5. RRM
6. VFRpwr
7. Northwood
8. Skids
9. wera803
10. bayarearider

11. mk3dub
12. MaxSwell
13. Hawkeye Driver
14. 98curt
15. nick84
16. gmtech94
17. TomP
18. HRCCBR

• Answers 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

I had previously installed them. This is the only upgrade that I have made on my RWB 6th gen (non ABS). it was totally worth the headaches of removing the rubber lines and installing these. Much more confidence inspiring.

Somewhere far beyond, in a country far far away, in a small town noone's ever heard of...

It took some time (not that it wasn't expected), but today I finally got my own lines too! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Now it's time to install them... however, my mechanical skills are limited: I can change oil and filter and remove fairings, but that's about it. I've never done a brake bleed on any motorcycle, let alone one with ABS and CBS like mine. I've never even done a brake pad change!

So, I will probably just drive the VFR to the local mechanic and have them installed. I doubt, given my background, that it's possible to do it myself....

• Member Contributer

Given how important the brakes are, and the linked brakes are kind of a PIA, not horrible, but not as easy as non-linked, it's not unreasonable to have it done if you have reservations about your mechanical ability. Beats the heck out of screwing it up and running into the side of a mountain, running off the side of a mountain, or worst of all: spilling brake fluid on pristine paint. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, I took my bike to my mechanic friend and we ended up agreeing to keep the stock lines for now. If someone with an ABS bike missed out on the group buy is still interested PM me offline and let's talk.

• Member Contributer

If I can successfully bleed an ABS Vtec then anyone can. The guide on here is brilliant. And it's not much of a leap to changing the brake lines then refilling the new ones.

I wouldn't swap the linked brakes either, I think they're brilliant and for the overwhelming majority of riders they are just great.

Hey guys, I took my bike to my mechanic friend and we ended up agreeing to keep the stock lines for now. If someone with an ABS bike missed out on the group buy is still interested PM me offline and let's talk.

Too bulky? 11 year old rubber not old enough? Do tell...

Personally not too thrilled about stacked banjos or zip tied mounts. Looking at all the feedback.

• Member Contributer

The zip tie has been dealt with (there should be new clips supplied with the kit) but I am still concerned about the stacking of the banjos on the front brake caliper and the potential to scratch the wheel.

Has there been any feedback from Galfer regarding this?

• Member Contributer

The zip tie has been dealt with (there should be new clips supplied with the kit) but I am still concerned about the stacking of the banjos on the front brake caliper and the potential to scratch the wheel.

Has there been any feedback from Galfer regarding this?

I'm not fully up to speed on the stacked banjo situation...can you show a picture? My bike is up on the lift for 'stuff' now...

• Member Contributer

Roger that...I'm tracking that thread. I provided some feedback toward the end from Galfer.

As far as the stacked banjo, I'm not sure I (or Galfer) can provide a better solution than to remove the caliper carefully before removing the wheel. We have Honda to thank for line layout.

• Member Contributer

Roger that...I'm tracking that thread. I provided some feedback toward the end from Galfer.

As far as the stacked banjo, I'm not sure I (or Galfer) can provide a better solution than to remove the caliper carefully before removing the wheel. We have Honda to thank for line layout.

I think the issue is that the Galfer solution has piggy-backed banjos whereas Honda's solution was a single banjo with twin connectors thus negating the wheel problem. Just a shame Galfer couldn't produce one the same as Honda.

• Member Contributer

Too bulky? 11 year old rubber not old enough? Do tell...

The PO of my bike left her sitting in a garage for years, so for most of her lifetime the braking system was unused. I too was concerned about the effect of that time on the hoses, but after checking things they're actually in great condition. Given that I don't have the wrench spinning chops to replace them myself I'd rather they'd go to someone that will use them instead of sitting on a shelf for years until I swap them in.

• Member Contributer

As far as I'm aware, neither Spiegler nor Galfer have a comparable fitting. In fact, I've personally only seen such a fitting on the Honda.

• Member Contributer

As far as I'm aware, neither Spiegler nor Galfer have a comparable fitting. In fact, I've personally only seen such a fitting on the Honda.

What's the Spiegler answer?

• Member Contributer

They stopped producing the VFR kits due to the complexity of the application.

:goofy: That's one way of tackling the problem.

• Member Contributer

My bottom-line questions are: Has anyone successfully installed these and what are the results? Does this do anything for brake feel or braking distances or show any sort of improvment?

In otherwords, Do They Work?

• Member Contributer

Do they work!!?? They work great.

OTOH if you have a properly bled system and you're using HH brake pads, it won't be like night and day difference. They noticeably firm up the brake feel, and you now have a linear relationship between how hard you pull the lever and how hard the bike slows. You no longer have that feeling that you have with the old rubber lines: a certain sponginess that never goes away. The older the lines the worse it is. I have the shorty levers and I can easily lock the front with 2 fingers, very controllable though, but the brakes are not touchy in the least.

It's very hard to describe the feeling, but I guarantee that it's a goooooood feeling. :beer:

You're gonna love 'em Terry.

• Member Contributer

Do they work!!?? They work great.

OTOH if you have a properly bled system and you're using HH brake pads, it won't be like night and day difference. They noticeably firm up the brake feel, and you now have a linear relationship between how hard you pull the lever and how hard the bike slows. You no longer have that feeling that you have with the old rubber lines: a certain sponginess that never goes away. The older the lines the worse it is. I have the shorty levers and I can easily lock the front with 2 fingers, very controllable though, but the brakes are not touchy in the least.

It's very hard to describe the feeling, but I guarantee that it's a goooooood feeling. :beer:

You're gonna love 'em Terry.

Thanks; I'll sleep better tonight. :schla15: :beer:

• Member Contributer

They stopped producing the VFR kits due to the complexity of the application.

:goofy: That's one way of tackling the problem.

what are the odds of a 3rd wave of ordering?

Not sure but they may have stop producing this kit .

Archived