Top Speed

dadofseven

• Member Contributer

This guy on rideapart did bonneville on a $300 CL VFR

He notes you are giving up a bit of hp due to the 4K altitude...like Rich said, it does look a bit slippery as well ... and it is open all around so you would miss the "tunnel vision" rush.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Running a fuel injected bike will get you closer to top speed easier than a carbed bike. And your density altitude can vary from 3500 to 7000 feet depending on weather conditions.

If you want, I can look for blank SCTA inspection sheet and forward that to you. I can also answer any questions you have.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to experience what it's like to travel at 150+ mph just once. The fastest I've done is 80 mph on my Nighthawk, and on a naked bike, that is very memorable.

This is a great Busha run. I imagine this is a professional rider. I can't find one like this for the VFR.

Think about it, this is a 14k bike. To get a car that does this you would have to pay a ridiculous price and you still won't get the exhilaration a bike can offer.

last time I laid my bike I couldn't make it turn that sucks a bike plus hospital really sucks not to mention lost wages but changing the subject my zn1100 needs steering stabilizer at 80 mph but I taken my blackbird to 173 without it and my vfr 1200 to 155 no need for it but I want to warn unexperienced riders vfr1200 reach those warp speeds in no time this is not a 600 cbr and since I rarely watch my gauges at more civilized speeds mine is 100mph at 6000rpm exactly in sixth gear with only 4000 to go maybe you can figure it out my math isn't good.

True Vicara, the VFR is not a toy. It takes ample preparation and training to go those speeds. I have seen some high speed runs on public roads, and the guys wear jeans and Nikes. Either they are incredibly ignorant, or adding the additional risk increases the thrill.

I hit 160 indicated on my zx-14 once, was taking a day trip on it and came across a straight stretch of road and opened her up. It was deceptively smooth, the kind of smooth that makes you forget how fast you're going. It was fun but I'm not enough of a hooligan to do that again on a public road.

The fastest I've gone on the VFR so far is about 100 mph, haven't felt the need to push it any farther yet.

i saw 128 mph once on a fairly straight rural highway once, been over 120 a few times...the 1200 was hardly breaking a sweat....imo, it doesn't start getting "high speed" until it's over 110....it's stable enough to take a hand off the bar at 100 mph...not that i'd make a habit of it....i'll prob never take it over 130,

• Member Contributer

getting caught at anything over 100 will land you in jail in Nevada. Although I-80 between Elko and State Line is 80 <PH, I wouldnt even test the local PD. 140-150 is very easy on the VFR. 1/4 mile speeds are 135ish. I have more of a concern with traction on the Salt than getting upwards of 170+. But with the VFR's TC, that should help at the top end, along with some manner of finesse as well.

245 kms/hr so far on my 1200. Will let it run after my reflash,let you know this spring. Years ago on my 1000 Hurricane had up to 260kms. The best adrenaline rush in my opinion

• Member Contributer

I am not shy of a little speed now and then on my VFR (seen 145 in an undisclosed location). I meet my match some years ago when I had the experience to ride a bullet train in Japan and felt I got my monies worth at 200kph but at top speed of 300kph/186mph my palms started to sweat. Something about traveling at that speed and only being a few feet off the ground while able to walk around and have a cup of coffee made me uncomfortable. Looking out the window took an effort to look ahead and focus on whatever you could see for the second before it flashed by. Guess next time I will have to bring my leathers and helmet.

As commented elsewhere, I got my 1200 to a GPS indicated 260kph. Totally Stable. This was with the factory Honda panniers installed. Initially I was weary of the sticker stating 130kph max, so went to 220 initially, then to 260. I could have possibly gone faster, but I was rapidly closing on the bike in front and there was also a GTR1400 somewhere behind me and I was mindful of his safety, just in case the panniers came off.

It wasn't planned at all, it just happened on a straight bit of road three days into a bike tour. Ideally I would have test ridden the road first, checking for imperfections, but the new girl was absolutely stable and the sun was shining :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Has this been posted anywhere in the 7th generation forum before?

The guy who posted says "There is no speed limit, top speed is now 286 kph (GPS 272 kph). It is a motification by http://www.kainzinger.com/vfr1200/

No limits in the frist and second gear also. The speed limit by Honda is 267 (GPS 252)."

He does a 4th gear roll-on so his top speed is perhaps not as high as it could be, but still very respectable...

Is this the first example of a desrestricted 1200F by a company other than Guhl?

• Member Contributer

It would help if they had an English language version of the site.

• Member Contributer

Regardless of anything else, that's pretty sweet holding the throttle on the stop in 6th gear for that long.

Was it only the Euro bikes that have the HISS imprinted on the tach face?

Sorry guys but its kicking in at 38th second of this movie. You can easly hear soft limiter working...

His 272 indication means 250-ish real. Speed limiter removed my ass...

More to say, simple math. He was doing 9500 rpm at 6th gear and that means: 260 kph max. Can't cheat math folks.

• Member Contributer

282 KPH = 175 MPH...still under 187 as indicated by the GUHL Re-flash a couple pages ago. Didnt look like he was hitting redline either. GUHL's reflash ups the redline 500 RPM as well, probably good for another 5 MPH or so. So a real time top speed on a re-flashed 1200 looks to be right around 180 + or - a couple MPH.

It would help if they had an English language version of the site.

I can help with translation.

282 KPH = 175 MPH...still under 187 as indicated by the GUHL Re-flash a couple pages ago. Didnt look like he was hitting redline either. GUHL's reflash ups the redline 500 RPM as well, probably good for another 5 MPH or so. So a real time top speed on a re-flashed 1200 looks to be right around 180 + or - a couple MPH.

Where do you see 282 kph?

Not sure about lifting the rev limit, when you are relying on push rods and rockers for the exhaust valve. :sad2:

Rockers have no problems with that rpm range. As for push rods, there are none, this is an overhead cam engine

I bealieve he ment LOBES.

Not sure about lifting the rev limit, when you are relying on push rods and rockers for the exhaust valve. :sad2:

I asked Don to inrease my limiter to 11k.

Archived