Top Speed

dadofseven

Bassie, I hesitate to even answer this at this point. As stated previously installing a steering damper on my VFR 1200 has nothing to do with it needing one. I installed a steering damper because it is required to compete in the top speed event at Wilmington Ohio by the sanctioning organization that holds the event and sets the rules for running my bike in their event (the ECTA). I have no idea at what speed the VFR 1200 becomes unstable but I suspect there is not a speed this bike is capable of reaching on a good road surface riding in a straight line where it would be a problem.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I dont wanna be rude or anything, but I never got my understanding for top speed....Accerelation out of corners is my thing.

But if you feel its your thing, GO FOR IT!

I feel the same. WFO out of a corner is my favorite part of riding a motorcycle. To me it's better than sex or just about anything else you can do on the planet. Like a crack addict I am hooked, for life.

But, I see nothing wrong with dynajohn wanting to go full boat and hit top speed. I can only wish, at 72, that I'll be willing and able. Something to aspire to. I've only ever been up to the high 160's in a straight line. Just nowhere to do it, not even at my local tracks. John has one thing many of us don't, plenty of time off to schedule such a thing. I'm lucky if I can get off work on a Friday for a long weekend. Got damn house always needs work too :(

• Member Contributer

Top speed is really the only thing left for me and the 1200... I've been in the 10s at the 1/4 mile, 2 track days, 4k mile trip to Kansas and back, weekenders to the California Coast with a couple other VFR forum buddies. Would love to stretch it out.....me day.

so right around 185 MPH, sounds fast enough. BUB Speed week at the Flats is 29 August - 3 September...would be kinda cool to have a timing slip from the event with a 180+ on it. The website for the event has not listed prices yet, safety and course layout is, for that category you get 2 runs on the 3 mile course, and a t shirt...:)

yes, winter....in Nevada...it was in the high 20's out on the Salt Flats when we got out to take a look....cold enough but Sunny...sorry, definently not Switzerland cold...

Can you imagine doing 185 on a bike? That would be like going into another dimension.

• Member Contributer

I am a tech inspector for the SCTA, so if anyone has questions for me please do not hesitate to ask. USAFRA is a different organization running under the same rules, BUBS is a different animal, and I am not familiar with their rules.

Running production class is fairly straight forward. Keep in mind that for the SCTA/BNI and USAFRA it is the average speed over the measured mile that is used, not trap speed. And in August at Speedweek, the density altitude is roughly 7000 feet +/-, so that means less oxygen.

Because the salt is devoid of references for speed, its different than you'd think. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le6aCV_CRvQ

• Member Contributer

Lets go find a place in our backyard (NV) and we can test it out. Wont be hard to find an open hwy in NV with just the two of us. I think pavement would be a better surface than salt flat anyway.

• Member Contributer

Lets go find a place in our backyard (NV) and we can test it out. Wont be hard to find an open hwy in NV with just the two of us. I think pavement would be a better surface than salt flat anyway.

JoeBarTeamLigne.jpg

• Member Contributer

If I got caught in Nevada going anywhere over 100 I bet NHP would probably throw me in jail...just traveling around town I get looked at...

• Member Contributer

If I got caught in Nevada going anywhere over 100 I bet NHP would probably throw me in jail...just traveling around town I get looked at...

The%2011th%20Commandment%7C3A%20Thou%20S

Each year I make a few trips into Germany to clear redslut's throat....

This year it was 238kmh...

I do know the 4th, 5th and 6th gens all do 250 km\h and you need a good long stretch to get up there, 210 in Next to no Time but From there up to 250 Takes a While due to Gearing. 90 kg rider on Board plus ATGATT. That's on the Clock, not sure of real Speed!!

Last autum trip to germany i did 260 km/h when i remember i got my side cases on. But still no problem ,the bike stays very stable.

Next summer i take my ecu with me to the states for a Don Gulh flash. And then i wanna see how it rides on the german autobahn.

My bike is a completly standard 2010 manual one.

greetz Mark

• Member Contributer

I just don't get it, what all the hype is about top speed, apart from bragging rights down your local pub. The top speed on the 1200 is the last thing on the list, you know it will do over 150mph. The low down fueling is far more important, that needs to be put right first, followed by a very useable torque range, which the 1200 has in bucket loads, followed by the handling and braking, and yes it needs to be comfortable to a point. Top speed is so yester year, boring! boring! boring!

Hallo Dutchy, lees hier al een jaar of twee mee , maar nu maar eens ingelogd. Ik had jou en nog een paar anderen ook al gezien hier en op andere fora.

altijd gezellig.

Sorry for this little message in dutch,

gr Mark

• Member Contributer

I just don't get it, what all the hype is about top speed, apart from bragging rights down your local pub.

It is not about the hype, it is the rush.......

Far from boring, those short moments that you are at the limit (be it a 50cc moped, a bicycle downhill going 72kmh or indeed a VFR at FT).

Similar to doing the Dragon at speed and corner after corner just feels "right" :beer:

Here's some Rush for you! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Posted 19 minutes ago

hvfrdave, on 05 Dec 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:snapback.png

I just don't get it, what all the hype is about top speed, apart from bragging rights down your local pub.

It is not about the hype, it is the rush.......

Far from boring, those short moments that you are at the limit (be it a 50cc moped, a bicycle downhill going 72kmh or indeed a VFR at FT).

Similar to doing the Dragon at speed and corner after corner just feels "right" :beer:

It is hard to explain BUT there's just not anything better .

• Member Contributer

I hit an indicated 263 km/h (163 mph) on a deserted straight near Istanbul. I could feel the limiter kicking in and hated it. It would've been great to see what it could really do. I like the top speed rush albeit in short doses. Dynajohn, I look forward to your endeavors. I'm seriously thinking about yanking the ECU out and sending it to Don Guhl for total deresriction.

I've done the de-cat, and dyno tuning by the way and I've never been happier with my bike.

I know this is a seventh gen forum but two years ago, when my supercharged VFR 800 VTEC was working properly, I hit an indicated 287 km/h (178 mph) on a deserted bit of a highway. It got there so fast it took some believing...

• Member Contributer

Dutchy, i know how to ride a bike, the point i was trying to make is, i get more satisfaction, of being able to develope a bike, and being able to get the best out of it, top speed is only a very miner part of riding a motorcycle. Getting the mtorcycle engine to run better and sorting the suspension and braking out, thats what makes the package better. Being able to enter a corner, and carry a lot of speed through the corner, and being able to pin it on the exit of the corner, is a far better edrelien rush for me.

• Member Contributer

Dutchy, i know how to ride a bike, the point i was trying to make is, i get more satisfaction, of being able to develope a bike, and being able to get the best out of it, top speed is only a very miner part of riding a motorcycle. Getting the mtorcycle engine to run better and sorting the suspension and braking out, thats what makes the package better. Being able to enter a corner, and carry a lot of speed through the corner, and being able to pin it on the exit of the corner, is a far better edrelien rush for me.

I don't think anyone in this thread is interested in your opinion. This is about several somebodies doing straight line speed - because they want to. You clearly don't have anything to offer about how they might meet their goal, and you don't get to say what others do with their own bikes.

Carry on.

• Member Contributer

viffergyrl, everyone on this forum is entitled to their opinion, and regards to me not being able to offer any advise, well that is your opinion, happy days.

• Member Contributer

Dadofseven I hope you get to Bonneville and get to experience that straight-line speed for yourself. Looks like there's expertise on this board but I think the tricky part will be the rules.... Good luck to you!

Oh come on guys!!

Oh I read that whole thread-jack of the thread-jack thread. Relax. :-)

This is getting ridiculous guys.....and gals. Chill out.

Hvfrdave, if he wants to do a top speed run then so be it.

Viffergyrl, Hvfrdave has provided quite a bit of quality information for this forum and is entitled to his opinion.

Lets keep the peace.

• Member Contributer

as I mentioned previously, I have run my VFR on 3 track days at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, run it down the 1/4 mile at Midnight Mayhem several times. Weekend rides, multi day rides, 4k plus trips to Kansas and back, but the only thing I havent done is wring it out on the top end, legally....if you get caught doing 150+ its jail time around here, thats not something I care to even entertain. So, naturally, in my own wandering mind, and with a recent trip through Wendover, Nevada, I came to this discussion. Admittedly i'm very naive in the speed end of things, and not knowing much about the whole safety requirements, I have a track suit, PPE, so thats a no brainer, but the insight that those who have been there and know what they are talking about helps alot.

Archived