Top Speed

dadofseven

• Member Contributer

What is the mathematical top speed of a 2012 VFR manual transmission. Just drove through Wendover Nevada, right past the Salt Flats and my mind wandered.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

so right around 185 MPH, sounds fast enough. BUB Speed week at the Flats is 29 August - 3 September...would be kinda cool to have a timing slip from the event with a 180+ on it. The website for the event has not listed prices yet, safety and course layout is, for that category you get 2 runs on the 3 mile course, and a t shirt...:)

yes, winter....in Nevada...it was in the high 20's out on the Salt Flats when we got out to take a look....cold enough but Sunny...sorry, definently not Switzerland cold...

so right around 185 MPH, sounds fast enough. BUB Speed week at the Flats is 29 August - 3 September...would be kinda cool to have a timing slip from the event with a 180+ on it. The website for the event has not listed prices yet, safety and course layout is, for that category you get 2 runs on the 3 mile course, and a t shirt...:)

yes, winter....in Nevada...it was in the high 20's out on the Salt Flats when we got out to take a look....cold enough but Sunny...sorry, definently not Switzerland cold...

I'm testing speed on German Autobahn LOL

I'm not native Swiss, this country is not so cold during the winter. -10C is what you will see mostly and that is already cold here.

In the place where I use to live before, there was no good winter without temp dropping down to -30C. The lowest temp I have ever seen was -42C.

I use to ride my v-max(no fairings) below -10C.

If I remember correctly, you need a steering stabilizer above a certain speed during runs

VFR 1200 is a very stable high speed motorcycle. It has not so aggressive frame rake angle, so its not a big tank slapper like sport liters are. Also long wheelbase helps a lot. I dare to say You don't need any steering stabilizer with this motorcycle.

While braking the speed record on the flats with VFR? Perhaps...

• Member Contributer

so right around 185 MPH, sounds fast enough. BUB Speed week at the Flats is 29 August - 3 September...would be kinda cool to have a timing slip from the event with a 180+ on it. The website for the event has not listed prices yet, safety and course layout is, for that category you get 2 runs on the 3 mile course, and a t shirt

You would, of course, need the factory set top speed limit removed from your ECU programming. Otherwise you are limited to about 155 mph. See the Don Guhl ECU reflash discussions on how to get it removed. I recently confirmed this limit in a "test".

If I remember correctly, you need a steering stabilizer above a certain speed during runs

VFR 1200 is a very stable high speed motorcycle. It has not so aggressive frame rake angle, so its not a big tank slapper like sport liters are. Also long wheelbase helps a lot. I dare to say You don't need any steering stabilizer with this motorcycle.

While braking the speed record on the flats with VFR? Perhaps...

You misunderstood me. The bike itself does not need it due to instability. There was someone else on the forum that was doing speed trials on his vfr1200 and the rules stated that he needed one to run to trials.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78853-steering-stabalizer-for-vfr-1200/

The VFR 1200 may not need a steering stabilizer but if you want to compete in a top speed sanctioned event you will have to have a steering damper. You will also need to safety wire a few items and have the required safety gear (leathers, helmet, boots, gloves). The steering damper requirement is what prevented me from competing at the Ohio mile event at Wilmington Ohio this year. No company makes a bolt on steering damper kit for the VFR 1200. Joshua Bate who posts here occasionally installed the first one to race his VFR 1200 at the Loring AFB sanctioned event in Limestone Maine. This was before Josh had the speed limiter removed from his Guhl re-flashed ECU. His first try (like mine) with the Guhl re-flash failed to remove the limiter and he cruised through the mile timers at 156 MPH. Don got the speed limiter removed in a second re-flash but it was to late for me to enter the final race at Ohio as all the entry slots were filled. I have followed Josh's lead and now have a Scott's damper installed on my VFR 1200F.

If you want to compete in a sanctioned event and need a steering damper I found through Josh's previous work that a Scott's damper with some custom modified Scott's bracket work will get the job done. Again there is no custom made bolt on steering damper available. I scoured the internet and all three major VFR forums for over a year looking for one. If you want to compete or just spectate at a sanctioned top speed event in the USA you have six places. These are a lot of fun to just go and watch and you will see some amazing home built engineering. It is much less formal and restricted than other major racing events.

1. The SCTA events at Bonneville (speed week Aug. 9-15th), and the world finals (Sept 30-Oct. 3rd) Website www.scta-bni.org Email office@scta-bni.org

2. The SCTA events at El Mirage dry lake in California (May, June, July, September, October, November) Website www.scta-bni.org

Email office@scta-bni.org

3. The USFRA event in Utah (Sept. 6-9) Email usfra@saltflats.com

4. The ECTA events held in Wilmington Ohio (May, June, July, September) website www.ecta-lsr.net

5. The LTA events at the old Loring AFB in Limestone Maine (at least two events I don't have dates for). website www.lta-lsr.com

6. The Texas mile Email info@nasatx.com

You misunderstood me. The bike itself does not need it due to instability. There was someone else on the forum that was doing speed trials on his vfr1200 and the rules stated that he needed one to run to trials.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78853-steering-stabalizer-for-vfr-1200/

I guess yar right. Never been on a flat lands to beat the speed, sorry.

The VFR 1200 may not need a steering stabilizer but if you want to compete in a top speed sanctioned event you will have to have a steering damper. You will also need to safety wire a few items and have the required safety gear (leathers, helmet, boots, gloves). The steering damper requirement is what prevented me from competing at the Ohio mile event at Wilmington Ohio this year. No company makes a bolt on steering damper kit for the VFR 1200. Joshua Bate who posts here occasionally installed the first one to race his VFR 1200 at the Loring AFB sanctioned event in Limestone Maine. This was before Josh had the speed limiter removed from his Guhl re-flashed ECU. His first try (like mine) with the Guhl re-flash failed to remove the limiter and he cruised through the mile timers at 156 MPH. Don got the speed limiter removed in a second re-flash but it was to late for me to enter the final race at Ohio as all the entry slots were filled. I have followed Josh's lead and now have a Scott's damper installed on my VFR 1200F.

If you want to compete in a sanctioned event and need a steering damper I found through Josh's previous work that a Scott's damper with some custom modified Scott's bracket work will get the job done. Again there is no custom made bolt on steering damper available. I scoured the internet and all three major VFR forums for over a year looking for one. If you want to compete or just spectate at a sanctioned top speed event in the USA you have six places. These are a lot of fun to just go and watch and you will see some amazing home built engineering. It is much less formal and restricted than other major racing events.

1. The SCTA events at Bonneville (speed week Aug. 9-15th), and the world finals (Sept 30-Oct. 3rd) Website www.scta-bni.org Email office@scta-bni.org

2. The SCTA events at El Mirage dry lake in California (May, June, July, September, October, November)

3. The USFRA event in Utah (Sept. 6-9) Email usfra@saltflats.com

4. The ECTA events held in Wilmington Ohio (May, June, July, September) website www.ecta-lsr.net

5. The LTA events at the old Loring AFB in Limestone Maine (at least two events I don't have dates for). website www.lta-lsr.com

6. The Texas mile Email info@nasatx.com

I designed a few mounting kits for steering stab. before(for v-maxes mainly) here and there - I have a few skills with CNC, CAD, CAM.

If you have something specific in mind I might help You.

Thanks for the offer. I installed a Scotts steering damper this week. I used a Scotts damper kit designed for a GSXR-1000 and modified the fixed frame mount that came with the GSXR kit for the VFR 1200. Worked out fine.

John

• Member Contributer

Safety Wiring is indicated on the "run watcha brung" additional rules book, but a "Steering Dampner" is not. For my own safety it would be a great idea, not sure that i would have the technical expertise to add it, but I know a few shops that could help.

Run_Watcha_Brung14-v11-1.pdf

Yes satarie similar to that. That fixed bracket uses the front tank mount bolts. The VFR 1200 has the tank mount bolts much further apart. The GSXR fixed mount doesn't come close to being able to use the tank mount bolts to anchor it. I had to drill and tap two holes in the flat frame bridge piece behind the steering head. The GSXR fixed mount is U shaped with the two mount holes at the open end of the U bracket so the tapped holes and mount bolts are hidden under the front of the tank.

Yes satarie similar to that. That fixed bracket uses the front tank mount bolts. The VFR 1200 has the tank mount bolts much further apart. The GSXR fixed mount doesn't come close to being able to use the tank mount bolts to anchor it. I had to drill and tap two holes in the flat frame bridge piece behind the steering head. The GSXR fixed mount is U shaped with the two mount holes at the open end of the U bracket so the tapped holes and mount bolts are hidden under the front of the tank.

Never like the idea of drilling the frame on that spot. Factory you have always some cast protrusions around mount bolts which

make things stronger - but hey, if it works for you. If you need a specific tank mount bracket for vfr1200 let me know, I might figure

something out.

Satarie I was a little concerned but the frame bridge piece between the steering head and the ECU location is 8mm thick where I had to drill and tap and the frame material is very high grade aluminum. Much thicker & harder to drill & tap than the top triple clamp where you have to drill & tap to mount the scotts damper.

Dadofseven the ECTA does not have a run whatcha brung class (at least not in the 2014 rule book). In the most recent rule book for the races at Wilmington Ohio (under motorcycles page 74 7.B.17--Steering Dampner: required in all classes over 125 MPH). This is also true for the LTA event at Loring AFB in Limestone Maine for bikes that exceed 125 MPH. Wish they did have a class like this as it would have saved me about $400.

I guess I could run my Yamaha 125 motorscooter and not use a steering dampener but my HD Superglide would definitely need one at the Ohio ECTA event.

I was a little concerned but the frame bridge piece between the steering head and the ECU location is 8mm thick where I had to drill and tap and the frame material is very high grade aluminum. Much thicker & harder to drill & tap than the top triple clamp where you have to drill & tap to mount the scotts damper.

Good insights. This twin spar frame was made using the pressure casting, just like any modern alu frame. Makes things far more stronger but also difficult to cast this vfr 1200 frame like many others, is welded from two pieces. Yokes however, are mostly made using the die casting process usually using the lost wax technique. Die casted material contains a lot of bubbles within so thats why its easier to drill.

• Member Contributer

At what point does it get unstable? I have done 248 (didn't dare faster because of the conditions) but didn't notice any problems.

Same with my VFR800 of 2000, done 250 on the clock and it never got unstable.

Please tell me when it starts to be unstable, as I do plan to go over 250 next spring/summer on the German Autobahn when I go to Austria again.

I do check my tire pressure and use 2.50 front and 2.90 back, I can imagine pressure can have an impact at high speeds.

• Member Contributer

All the other timed events are a little to far from my end of the US.....Bonneville, is Only 400 from the house....I really was just wondering out loud , this thread kinda took on another life. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I could get the re-flash done and give it a shot next summer, ya never know.

All the other timed events are a little to far from my end of the US.....Bonneville, is Only 400 from the house....I really was just wondering out loud , this thread kinda took on another life. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I could get the re-flash done and give it a shot next summer, ya never know.

I dont wanna be rude or anything, but I never got my understanding for top speed....Accerelation out of corners is my thing.

But if you feel its your thing, GO FOR IT!

Keny it is not something (going over 175 MPH) that I want to do everyday especially on the street. It is however one of the last things on my bucket list for motorcycle competition that I can still do. I will be 73 next March and I don't have the reflexes anymore to compete in serious drag racing or riding off road but I can still do this.

In my everyday street riding world I am with you, acceleration off corners as well as maintaining good corner speed is where it is at.

Archived