Dropped 300#s!

GetnOff

Hola from Orlando area!

Just purchased a 2006 Viffer with 6100 miles and absolutely love it so far. This thing feels light compared to my M109R LE! Needed something a bit more comfortable for longer runs on the open roads. The 9 is awesome, but feel like I'm holding a piece of plywood vertically while riding about 60! 9 is modded out, but I plan to keep the Viffer fairly stock. Yea, right, famous last words I know! It has a Sargent seat, PC-3 and tank protecters is all.

I now have the perfect combo in my stable.

Just wanted to say hello. Look forward to learning via this community.

Anyone in the central Florida area...lets ride!

Troy

post-30995-0-60233900-1408371500.jpg

post-30995-0-58206800-1408371513.jpg

post-30995-0-39933900-1408371547.jpg

Ty! Would love to make a trip up there with either bike, or my track prepped Mustang! Well, I have been there once, but it was in my wife's Grand Cherokee!

Neighbor took a spill up there a couple months ago on his VRod. Wasn't pretty, but could have been much worse.

Troy

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard Troy, and kudos for posting pics on your introduction post! Although not as much as my all black '09, I think that the white VFRs look damn sexy! I'm really liking that the 2014 is offered in white, not that I'm going to go out and buy one, just saying. Congrats on your new ride!

• Member Contributer

That bike looks great in white. Sounds like you're a bit closer to the good places to ride it too. I'm sure it's a little better in traffic than the Boulevard too.

Thx guys. I really like the white myself. Very clean. Has a nice sparkle in the sun.

The 9 is actually pretty easy around town. I usually just ride a mile to the gym, or a couple miles to my local fav watering holes. Not many long rides, but I plan on changing that now that I have a more comfortable freeway cruiser. Bought it 2.5 hours away and drove straight home and was surprised at how comfy she is. Haven't spent any serious time on a sport (type!) bike in about 20 years. Surprised I waited this long for another.

Btw, after searching, it looks like the pre '06s might possibly have electrical issues, but not the '06. Am I correct?

Troy

Guest Recalcitrance

Welcome aboard. Beautiful bike. You'll continue to love it as you cover more ground. Fast enough to get you in trouble. Comfortable enough to get you away.

A few things to look out for.

Tstat is infamous for going wonky. '06 and '07 in the stable. Both Tstats replaced.

Honda told me that the left handlebar controls also corrode often and parts are on back order as a result of the number of instances. My low beams stopped coming on though high beams still worked. Had the connectors cleaned and was fine.

Also, stator and r&r should be replaced on a stock model at roughly 60k miles, but if you do things like HIDs or anything else that creates extra strain on the system, the stator will burn out in 40k or even less in some cases.

My '06 has a PC3 and nothing else. Stator and r&r just went in last month at 61k miles. Tstat went in at 59k miles, but I started noticing a slow but steady drop in mpg a year ago.

Sounds pretty much like what I have found searching. Thx! I have some time to just ride then!! Gonna pull fairings and do a deep cleaning. Not that it needs it, just new to me and want a blank slate. Gonna change oil, possibly brake fluid, and coolant with tstat while she is apart. I know the po, and all he has had done was rebuild the clutch...honed out and new seals. Common?!

Troy

• Member Contributer

Welcome! You've already got one of the best mods for comfort...the Sargent seat. I recently picked one up and went from PITA after about an hour and a half with the stock seat to a 3.5 hour ride with no PITA on the Sargent seat.

Beautiful bike!. Congrats.

My '06 has a PC3 and nothing else. Stator and r&r just went in last month at 61k miles. Tstat went in at 59k miles, but I started noticing a slow but steady drop in mpg a year ago.

Recalcitrance, aside from a drop in MPG, what other symptoms (if any) did your failing tstat show? I thought the main symptom was that the bike would not warm up to 170 (since coolant is constantly flowing), or that the bike would overheat (since coolant is never flowing).

What kind of mpg were you seeing?

I bought a tstat and gasket and have it, just don't want to put it in prematurely. My bike is 2003, 32k miles, and I I do think mpg is off a bit, but I want to do some more tests to be sure. Doesn't look like its fun to replace the stat, lots of stuff has to come off, so at the same time I am planning to do the insulator boots and clamps.

Guest Recalcitrance

When I bought it at 18k, I was getting 45mpg consistently for the first year or so. Then it tapered off over the following year down to 35-36mpg. Bike also took ages to warm up and rarely got over 170. Opened the bike and the tstat was stuck fully open. Replaced it along with gasket and hose and it's right as rain.

Guest Recalcitrance

Radiator hose. But it wasn't necessary. Also had the whole thing flushed since it seemed like the right thing to do.

Also ordered a couple crush washers.

• Member Contributer

Sounds pretty much like what I have found searching. Thx! I have some time to just ride then!! Gonna pull fairings and do a deep cleaning. Not that it needs it, just new to me and want a blank slate. Gonna change oil, possibly brake fluid, and coolant with tstat while she is apart. I know the po, and all he has had done was rebuild the clutch...honed out and new seals. Common?!

Troy

Welcome aboard, nice looking garage there...sport bike, cruiser, off roader, and trackable vintage car! Well done.

I would say the answer to your question above is "No, not common."

Thx for the compliments guys. I really like the clean look of the white.

Cornercarver...ty, I haven't read anywhere yet where that is a common problem, but wanted to check. And, yea, very understanding wifey here. That's her in the profile pic. She competes in amateur figure competitions...so, I guess that is another good addition to my garage! Lol.

Troy

Btw, full garage is....67 Mustang 289 coupe, 06 Viffer, 10 lifted JK, 12 MB C350 Coupe, 12 M109R, 14 Mustang Gt (12.50@119 on oem tires!)...but I am airplane and boatless for more than a year. ;)

Thx guys. I really like the white myself. Very clean. Has a nice sparkle in the sun.

The 9 is actually pretty easy around town. I usually just ride a mile to the gym, or a couple miles to my local fav watering holes. Not many long rides, but I plan on changing that now that I have a more comfortable freeway cruiser. Bought it 2.5 hours away and drove straight home and was surprised at how comfy she is. Haven't spent any serious time on a sport (type!) bike in about 20 years. Surprised I waited this long for another.

Btw, after searching, it looks like the pre '06s might possibly have electrical issues, but not the '06. Am I correct?

Troy

Well the 06's received all the previous years recalls straight off the manufacturing line . so they have a head start in that regard still need to check the charge line wiring and good continuity and some corrosion protection like a wd40. Many want to use dielectric grease, but ive seen that cause more issues than nothing at all. Its a non conductive insulator , and will build heat in your connectors and fry them even quicker.

BTw 100,000 mile and all original wiring, and original oem RR, I did replace a stator at 56,000 miles, 06 is a Vintage year IMO.

Archived