First Contact! None Et

So I've not been riding much recently, in fact I think I've been out only once or twice since Tmac back in May! Too much heat and home projects getting in the way of enough motivation to slap on a new set of tires and go ride in mid 90 degree temperatures. Heavy work stress loads and a little suggestion from Liz that "You Need a Ride" gave me enough push to mount up a new set of Michelins (PP3 front/PR2 rear) last night. I NEEDED my stress relieving Dial A Smile machine, so I got up at 6:30 am suited up and rolled out a little after 7 am with the temp already 78.

Hoping to beat the heat and Free my Mind I rolled into the first section of sweet twisties just 15 min from my door. Every mile relaxed my body and widened the smile on my face as temps drop down to 65 as I swept into the first valley of sweepers. I was about 40 miles into my breakfast run to Liepers Fork, cresting a hill and eyeing my way through the next downhill run of sweepers. Just on the edge of my view into the low rising sun I thought I saw a flash of brown slipping into the right hillside of the last left hander I could see. I'm thinking deer to myself as I roll off the throttle. "Pack Rats"( they seldom travel alone). Sure enough as I enter this same blind left hander(cautiously on the brakes) two more deer pop out in front of me chasing tail. Pack Rats avoided I carry on and arrive at Country Boy for breakfast & coffee, it was tasty! Temps were already climbing as I'm gearing up to head out, so I decide on a nice short loop that will reconnect me to my normal route home about 50 miles later. :cool:

I'm really leaning into the new rubber, rolling on more and more corner throttle on mostly empty roads except random gaggles of bicyclist. One group turning left in front of my path manage to scatter enough for me to clear and I carry on. Other than the occasional two wheeled chicanes, I'm loving life. At this point I'm just dropping off the crest of a hilltop run of sweepers. Just off the crest is a easy blind left that feeds into a tight blind right. I'm running 50-60. As I'm pushing the right bar and throttle entering the right hander I see him, My DEER Friend. :blink: He's just bounding off the side of a 30 ft hill on the right side of the road that blocks my view of the turn, right into my path! At this point I should have aimed at his ass as they seldom stand still ( like a spinning car on a track, aim for his tail), but I didn't. I did manage to scrub off some speed and was basically preparing to T-Bone this beast as our zigs & zags kept us perfectly aligned. I could see the ditch and tree line that was awaiting me on my projected path as the road was disappearing to the right over the crest.

Remember my reference of DEER Friend, well at the very last split second my friend decides his current path wasn't going to well to avoid impact so he attempts to turn 90 degrees and he's almost parallel to me now! We impact, but not the feared T-bone. :fing02: Bang & Crack, I'm still up. I check my right mirror, he's down in a flying ball, comes to a stop, gets his wobbly feet under him and scampers back up the hill.

I am Very happy not to be in that tree line in who knows what condition. I pull over for a second, make a U-turn and search for my friend which I don't spot. I U-turn again and half in light shock I putt towards the stop sign a few hundred yards in front of me, just as my H.A.R.D system goes nuts. A Sherif locks on me just coming off Lick Creek rd. If there wasn't a Deer friend incident I would have most likely been doing 30-40 over when I came across the Sherif just a few minutes earlier.

I thankfully finish off my 150 mile breakfast run unharmed, but riding a little more cautiously. Now home again, I roll the VFR onto the lift to see where the impact was on the rear of the bike and inspect for any damage.

To my surprise impact was just behind the front wheel, not on the rear of the bike! A few inches forward might have still taken me down, but it did not!

Hard to believe in over 150,000+ miles on VFRs alone that I've not had actual contact with these creatures. Maybe Maxwell has taken one(two, three, four...) for the team and his karma has protected the rest of us! :wink: Thanks Terry!!!

Not a lot of damage, but a reminder anyway.

post-301-0-89679000-1405190559.jpg

post-301-0-52522800-1405190597.jpg

The impact broke all four mount points for the center cowl on my Chinese bodywork.

post-301-0-26425000-1405190640.jpg

Hopefully I have my Deer quota for a very long time! :beer:

BR

• Member Contributer

Glad you survived the close encounter with minimal damage. Deer seem to be active in the daylight hours much more than years ago. Or there's just more of them because they're prolific breeders.

• Member Contributer

I thought this was going to be one of those UFO/Aliens from outer space stories when I first read the title. Glad you were spared any serious damage Kevin!

• Member Contributer

Whew! What a tale (tail?) Very we'll written. I feel like I was there with you. And I am so relieved you escaped harm. Thanks to the powers that be.

• Member Contributer

You have deer, we have cyclists...

Almost headbutted one Friday afternoon..

Glad you came out unscaved yourself!!!

• Member Contributer

I took a deer and it took me about 4 years ago in Virginia. Separated shoulder and about $1200 in bike repairs and I was only doing about 35 MPH.

On my first ride after the bike and shoulder repair, a few hundred feet from my house, a very large doe jumped out ahead of me in another attempt to eliminate another motorcycle rider (ME). That put the fear of deer into me from that day on, they are one of the few things that are hard to do anything about. It is difficult to accept that an animal that spends a good part of its life running from predators, will readily run right into the jaws of death when a motorcycle goes by.

• Member Contributer

Glad you were spared more significant woes! As mentioned, very well written, I found myself bobbing and weaving my head trying to avoid the deer with you?

I took a deer and it took me about 4 years ago in Virginia. Separated shoulder and about $1200 in bike repairs and I was only doing about 35 MPH.

On my first ride after the bike and shoulder repair, a few hundred feet from my house, a very large doe jumped out ahead of me in another attempt to eliminate another motorcycle rider (ME). That put the fear of deer into me from that day on, they are one of the few things that are hard to do anything about. It is difficult to accept that an animal that spends a good part of its life running from predators, will readily run right into the jaws of death when a motorcycle goes by.

I never gave them much thought until two Novembers ago on the opening week of Rut & Hunting season when I was almost taken out by my buddy behind me on his Tuono. I saw the first deer shoot between the two guys in front of me from a valley on the left and slowed as I expected more. Sure enough just as I was arriving at the same valley two more popped out and I was hard on the brakes to avoid them. My buddy behind trying to do a little catch up never noticed what was going on so when I checked my mirror to see wher he was all I saw was a full speed Tuono about to run through me. I throw my VFR to the right edge of the lane at the same time he finally see's what's happening in front of him and grabs a handful of that Factory's brakes. The next thing I see is a cartwheeling Tuono just off my left shoulder right through the space my VFR had just exited. I could have pushed down on his rear brake lever as it went by on it's way off road!

I was more freaked out by the fact that my buddy would have taken me out then the deer, but the deer was a factor.

BR

• Member Contributer

Lad you're in one piece.

Deer contact - check.

You're good for another onefiddy

• Member Contributer

I here by rename thee DEERSLAYER2, sorry DEERSLAYER1 is taken , it's Terry's.

Good friend of mine hit one this year on the Foothills Parkway . Broke hand and broke ribs.

Glad you ok !!!

Good friend of mine hit one this year on the Foothills Parkway . Broke hand and broke ribs.

Glad you ok !!!

DS2? Maybe!

• Member Contributer

Man Kevin, my heart still has not slowed down from the suspense and anticipation of that story. Sounded like they were swarming that day. So glad you could ride away. Your karma is good. Damage looks relatively minimal for hitting one of our Deer Friends. Remind me to rub shoulders with early at next T-Mac.

Good on ya!

While reading in suspence..enjoying the visual ride in my mind I was prayin that it wasnt leading to a dismount. Glad your Ok ...where is it that you reside?......someone was watchin out for ya on that day fer sure........ride safe

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Ya should have wheelied over the top of that big rat! :goofy:

(Glad you didn't go down!)

Man Dutch, I need to add that option! Not sure why it didn't Pop Up? :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Glad you ok !!!

DS2? Maybe!

Yeah !!! I like it ..

• Member Contributer

Ya should have wheelied over the top of that big rat! :goofy:

(Glad you didn't go down!)

Man Dutch, I need to add that option! Not sure why it didn't Pop Up? :wheel:

Pop A Wheelie For A Deer (PAWFAD) could be the new Battle Cry. Like Olive's ATGWYHAD (All The Gear When You Hit A Deer)

Good one Dutchinterceptor.

Man Kevin, my heart still has not slowed down from the suspense and anticipation of that story. Sounded like they were swarming that day. So glad you could ride away. Your karma is good. Damage looks relatively minimal for hitting one of our Deer Friends. Remind me to rub shoulders with early at next T-Mac.

Good on ya!

Thx Terry, but not sure if I would want to risk the potential cosmic warp of karma transformation possible from that interaction!

BR

• Member Contributer

Glad you're ok Kev!

I was about to PM you today on some road recommendations...

I'm thinkin' I might want to rethink your migration routes!

• Member Contributer

Good on ya!

Thx Terry, but not sure if I would want to risk the potential cosmic warp of karma transformation possible from that interaction!

BR

LMAO! Cosmic Warp of Karma! I do not blame you one iota.

Archived