Vfr All "adv'd" - Knobbies Mounted (Tkc80S) - Ultimate "do Everything" Ride?

I posted this the other day over at expeditionportal.com and advrider.com and thought some of you might appreciate the absurdity of my VFR mods, too:

Sooooooo, this is my fourth VFR in the last 12 years (previously owned VFRs, in order of ownership: a 2001, a 2002, a 1997, and I now currently have a 2003...). I LOVE the V4 engine to death. Not thump-y, not vibe-y, not whine-y...juuuuust right. Not that I don't love other engines, or won't have other bikes in the future, but the V4s just speak to me.

In addition to the aforementioned VFRs, I've also owned two Ducatis (a Monster and SS 750...), a Honda CBR1100XX "Blackbird"; (put 68,000 miles on it...), a heavily-modded KLR650 (1996 model - EVERY mod done to it, courtesy of Dual-Star, etc); a Kawasaki KZ550 LTD "cafe racer" (1982, baby); and a CBR 900RR.

I've always lusted after KTM 950s/990s (after many hours of lurking here on ADV), currently lust after the sexy F800 GS, and have rented/ridden/demo-ed many other BMWs (1200GSAs and R1200RTs) and Ducatis (Diavel Carbon, Multistrada GT/PP, etc). For 7 full years (June 2002-July 2009, I rode only my various motorcycles (no car, and no public transportation when it rained...), while living in the perpetually-misty-weather mecca of Seattle, WA. ;) After I got a car, I still didn't drive it that much, except for trips to the ski hill. I'm a two-wheeler for life (my grandparents met on motorcycles...bikes are in the Stockinger blood, I suspect...).

Point in babbling all that out, is to give you a frame of reference - a window into my mind. No, I'm not 20 (not that there's anything wrong with being 20...); no, I'm not "inexperienced" or reckless or stupid (well, at least not too often); and no, I'm not bat-**** crazy - at least not any crazier than most of the other Inmates here. A lot of you here do beautifully weird shit too, and have, in one way or another, inspired me. I'm not as rad as some of the lucky inmates here who have had longer "'round the world adventures" (or been around a few decades longer), but on top of dirt biking since age 6, I've accumulated around 125,000 miles on 10 street bikes, since I got my motorbike license in 2001 (not too shabby for only being 32). Because of my modest, but relatively broad motorbike experiences on several very different bikes, I've finally figured out what I want to explore on for a while. After many solo "adventure(ous)" rides on my Blackbird and VFRs (on Michelin Pilot Powers, nonetheless...) up on the dirt/clay/mud logging roads up around Darrington, WA and other side-roads off Hwy 20 (I grew up in Winthrop), and not dying or even crashing, I thought about putting some (as Ewan McGregor would put it...) "knobblies" on my current 6th-gen Honda VFR "sport touring" bike, to improve my chances of continuing my luck streak. Ah, but why butcher a sport touring bike and "Frankenstein" into an "Adventure" bike...?

Well, because:

A) I'm a ****in' AmeriCAN, so why the heck not try it for a summer?;

B) because she's been down a few times already (previous owner) and has some cosmetic flaws, so she's a good test subject;

C) because the VFR is such a wonderfully universal combination of desirable Honda reliability, chassis robustness, bodywork style, header routing (they "protect" the oil sump!), and of course that smooth and torque-y V4 powerplant;

D) because I have enough student loans to keep me married to just one bike for at least the next five years (if you have kids, DO NOT let them go to college, unless you can pay cash for it!); and

E) because I believe, like the story of your own life, an "Adventure" bike is defined by where YOU make it (let it?) take you.

If there's a perfect "inappropriate" bike out there to try it on, she's it.

I'm posting a few introductory pictures. The real "adventure" season is just now upon us up here in Seattle (I pretty much just commute to work November through April), and I JUST got the TKCs on last week/300miles ago, so this will be my posting place for ongoing adventures here in the PNW.

For those shaking their heads, I'm not trying to turn this classy lady into a brute. No increased-suspension-travel mods (hmmm, not yet...but if Jamie Daugherty can make it happen, I'll do it.), no spoked wheels, and no starry-eyed imagery of this beast jumping tree stumps. This is being predominantly used as a two-up (125lb wife) paved road/rough paved road/dirt Forest Service road/muddy logging road "exploring machine". We/I might hit some easier WABDR sections (probably NOT the rougher Packwood to Ellensburg segment), in the mid-to-late (drier) summer months (can't ford more than 18" or so). For a quick overview, these are the notable "dirt road" modifications, so far:

1) Continental Twinduro TKC80s front and rear (surprised at how solid they are on pavement, actually - though it is a huge change in "feel" from Michelin PP's, but not scary at all).

2) Rear suspension shimmed up 7/8" and front fork tubes dropped down 7/8" for equally increased ride-height front and rear (need that extra ground clearance!).

3) Pro-Taper 1-1/8" Contour bars on riser shims (drilled/mounted at top fork plate).

4) -1 F / + 2 R sprockets for more "git 'er goin'" down-low grunt when things get loose or technical. The torque is now more accessible at starting RPMs, though this increases revs at cruising speed of 85, but oh well. Will try it for a bit.

5) Adjustable MRA Vario windscreen to get air up and over my increased upper-body profile, due to dirtbike riser bars (sitting more upright, now).

6) Oxford "Rider Grips" strap-on belt aka "oh-shit-he's accelerating-to-redline-on-the-on-ramp-again" handles, so the wife is more comfortable (she LOVES them), when the inevitable evasive maneuvers happen and/or we want/need to lay down rubber ;)

7) Luggage: Small magnetic tank bag, OEM Honda/Givi side cases (I mean, "crash protection system"), and Givi E52 top case (with Admore LED lighting kit). We need lots of storage room for extended adventures. The top case lights AND standard turn signals are hooked up to custom "hazard flasher" (thanks to http://www.murphysmotorworks.com/VFR/) system. If **** breaks down, we have lots of flashy lights to be visible on the side of the road. Top rack on trunk for carrying two rolled-up sleeping pads and lashing down lightweight things like an extra jacket.

8) On-board: Expanded tool kit, medical kit, tubeless tire flat repair kit, extra fuel, Fiskars X15 #7857 23.5" axe (for removing fallen trees from rarely-traveled roads), 3-gal dromedary bag and water filter, extra clutch and front brake lever, etc.

9) Sargent Cycle double-custom seat...modified for wife's booty, with extra extra thick foam to raise her UP 1.5" for better view, and contoured, so she has a neutral saddle and stays put.

There is not a lot of acreage on a VFR (when compared to the gold standard BMW GSA or KTM 950/990/1190AdvR, and I generally prefer not putting up with pork-y motorbikes, ever, so I've tried to be very conscious of only bringing what is necessary, to save space and improve handling as much as possible. I plan on upgrading suspension front and rear, later this year or this coming winter, but for now, stock will have to do. Stay tuned for updates on mods (possibly a skid plate!!!), and reports on performance as the summer progresses. Happy trails, y'all, and hopefully we'll see some of you at the Touratech/Overland Rally (in Plain, WA) at the end of June!

8emahe8e.jpg8e4a7ede.jpg7e6u4e6y.jpgy4a5evyn.jpgqeha2u8u.jpgru5etyse.jpgy8a9ady7.jpgpa2u2ejy.jpggevane2a.jpgra2yheje.jpgzyte9u4y.jpg

wow that is amazing, full credit to you for going down this path, I dont think I've ever seen those sort of tyres on a viffer!

Hey, how are the wheelies with all that weight on the back !! (you also need a few more reflectors on those paniers).

Arrrrrggggg... You make my GS looks funny.

First time seeing this type of set up. How do you feel with your arms and butt while cruising less than 20mph on the slab?

• Member Contributer

After seeing the Ducati Panigale with the TKC80s on it here: http://news.negara.co/id/820.html

I have thought of getting an extra set of rims for just such purposes...of course we don't have so many back roads here in Virginia so I haven't pulled the plug yet...

matt

• Member Contributer

Way to go!!!!

It is a bike, not an ornament! :beer:

I have the TKCs on my KLR. They are great tires. In spite of having large knobbies they are surprisingly smooth on the highway. Good luck with the ADVFR. The biggest letdown will be the suspension. After riding on a few rough gravel and dirt roads in Alaska on it you'll find out very quickly that it won't be comfortable or a lot of fun - way too harsh and tight for that kind of terrain. But you're right - someone's gotta try it. :)

• Member Contributer

Inspirational..looking forward to seeing more pictures of your camping setup in the wild and hearing of subsequent mods...thanks for sharing.

• Member Contributer

Having a "petite" passenger also helps to keep the strain on the suspension down.... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Love that pic of the rear tire! Can't stop smiling at the thought of throwing a rooster tail to the tune of a V4.

Worried at all about mud clogging the front fender?

I've thought about this many times. Even went so far as to spec out my 7th for a trip to Deadhorse, TKC80s and all. Then I realized they make square holes in which to fit square pegs, and you don't even need a hammer.

The reality is, places where you'll really need knobbies you'll need ground clearance first. They look all ADV, but you're not really going anywhere some Anakees wouldn't suffice.

That said, to each his own. Maybe the point is there is no point.

This is great! You can pretty much use any motorcycle for anything - it's just some are better suited than others. I love the fact you've adapted a road bike to do what you want it to do - how many GS's do we see that never even sniff the dirt? I could have done with those knobblies at the weekend - came round a corner at the bottom of a hill and cut across two huge furrows of run off silt that had built up from heavy rainfall. Nearly threw me off!

• Member Contributer

Yes, you need the right tool for the right job. Which, BTW, is actually an R1

sjaak-1.jpg

No idea what you were thinking doing that to a VFR. :goofy:

So when are the pics of you tearing through a mud pit?

wow that is amazing, full credit to you for going down this path, I dont think I've ever seen those sort of tyres on a viffer!

Hey, how are the wheelies with all that weight on the back !! (you also need a few more reflectors on those paniers).

Honestly, with a -1 front and +2 rear sprocket, both of the panniers loaded with tools / fuel / water / wet weather gear and some miscellaneous stuff in the trunk, riding solo, it still takes a hard twist to wheelie it. I have to "try". It's not like I'm carrying sacks of concrete back there. With wifey on the back, maybe it's a bit more wheelie-prone, but I don't really wheelie on this bike.

• Member Contributer
Very Cool....Sometimes you deal with what you have! At times I could have used those tires https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSTCH-7UwL8 This is a little movie of a 6-4-11 ride I was going over the Mountain Loop Highway and hit snow..... But at lest I got my speedo tru the 7's 77,777 Since I am up in Smokey Point I run up to Wintrup often, Hope to see you sometime

Gary

Arrrrrggggg... You make my GS looks funny.

First time seeing this type of set up. How do you feel with your arms and butt while cruising less than 20mph on the slab?

I guess I don't know what you mean. Do you ask because I have more weight on my tailbone and less weight on my wrists? My arms ARE definitely more relaxed now than when running the stock clip-ons, obviously (because there's less weight on them) and my Sargent seat is freakin rad, so no problems with the butt.

The Sargent seat has been heavily modified in the BACK / pillion area, but the only change for the driver area is that the rise (the bump up to pillion area) was moved FORWARD 1.5" so there's more room for my wife (and she's moved her weight forward a little bit - about inch of that). I have 1.5" less butt room now at the back of my seat area, because of this modification. I can still "tuck" down behind the windscreen, but my butt has 1.5" less room to "schooch" back. That's ok, because I don't go back that far anyways. Now, when I "tuck", I just lean forward and rest my chest on my tank bag to get out of the wind (even with the MRA Vario), and stick my butt back till it hits the "wall" back there. I guess pretty much everything is better than stock, for me and my purposes. The new ergonomics are worse for highway / straight line riding / commuting (because of more upright wind blasting, which is a fair trade-off, for me); better (for ME/US) for general Sunday cruising / twisties; definitely better for dirt roads and/or traffic maneuvering where low-speed mobility is key; probably horrible for the track (a place she'll never go); and better for my wife, because likes me sitting more upright because the handles on my Oxford rider grips belt are at a better angle and closer to her for less reach. The MRA screen does keep the wind off my chest and when in the 2nd position from "full up", it diffuses the air around me at about visor-height. It all works pretty darn well.

• Member Contributer

Cool! I, too, like to see someone pushing the envelope a bit and there's nothing wrong with trying out different tires. You can always revert back to pure sport touring tires later on, so no biggie. Yes, more pics or videos of the bike in action would be better. Good luck!!

C

Very Cool....Sometimes you deal with what you have! At times I could have used those tires https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSTCH-7UwL8 This is a little movie of a 6-4-11 ride I was going over the Mountain Loop Highway and hit snow..... But at lest I got my speedo tru the 7's 77,777 Since I am up in Smokey Point I run up to Wintrup often, Hope to see you sometime
Gary

Yeah, those would have been some good tires for that. We'll definitely be up that way this summer to explore the forest service roads off MLH. Want to hit part of the BDR route (http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR) from Packwood south to Stevenson, and possibly a section south of Lake Chelan toward Cashmere. Going to be a fun summer.

• Member Contributer

Great idea... can't say I haven't wondered about a V4 dual sport myself... Have fun and keep us posted!

After seeing the Ducati Panigale with the TKC80s on it here: http://news.negara.co/id/820.html

I have thought of getting an extra set of rims for just such purposes...of course we don't have so many back roads here in Virginia so I haven't pulled the plug yet...

matt

Yup, this thought has been bouncing around in my head since my CBR1100XX years (from 2006-2010) when I was a lone wolf out exploring backroads by myself on regular Michelins. The Portland Ducati "Motocorsa guy" (my wife and I've been to that shop a few times) was certainly who inspired me/pushed me in to this whole affair when I saw it on their blog. That "Terracorsa" turned my tepid motivation into a "just try it". My wife thought I was crazy, too, but so far the tires have been great.

I think it is pretty cool. But I think anything that is a little more dirt oriented is cool. Guess I get that because I grew up with dirt bikes. I don't know how many times I tried to take my Buell XB9R in the dirt, or at least was tempted to.

I had a little 600 Monster once and I think I had that bike sideways on dirt roads more than I had it on the assault. I thought about dirt tires on that thing many times!

Archived