Would You Buy This High Mileage 5Th Gen?

specialk828

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/kitchener-waterloo/1998-honda-interceptor/587605851?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

What do you guys think? Tires are about 5.5 years old, seems pretty well maintained. Has sat for the last couple of years but has been started and ridden every so often. Really high mileage though! 144000km or approx 90000 miles.

• Member Contributer

A lot of miles for that much money IMO. I wouldn't be interested at that price. I like VFR's but if that was the only one I could find, I'd start looking at other bikes.

But that's me.

• Member Contributer

In general from what I have seen bikes in Canada are usually about 30-35% more expensive than in the U.S. That would make the bike worth about $1800 (U.S) which seems about right to me assuming it has no cosmetic issues . 90k miles is pretty high for a VFR but if the bike was properly maintained and stored correctly over the winters she should still some life left in her but I'm not sure I would use such a high mileage bike for long distance touring. Is this the original owner and does he/she have all the maintanance history on the bike?

Rollin

Not the original owner. Second owner but put 100000 of those km on it. Supposedly a mechanic and has all the problem parts upgraded. He bought a US bike and swapped his ohlins setup onto it so this one has the us bike's original suspension with about 30000 miles.

Yes, VFRs here (bikes in general actually) in Canada are a bit more expensive. I could probably talk him down to about $2400-2500 I think. Just worried about the mileage.... I know they are reasonably bulletproof but man...144k.

I'd look around and see what the competition is, pricewise.

I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much if the last owner is a decent mechanic and did all the work he said. :cool:

I paid $1500 for one with 74k mi recently.

That sounds more like it. That bike looked pretty good. But the OP is talking Canadian dollars I assume, worth about US$0.91 today. And if Rollins 30% increase for Canada in post 3 is in the ballpark, then CN$2,500 sounds OK. But that's why I would shop the local competish. See what else is out there, and verify it's a reasonable or good price in a more reliable way than this thread here. :goofy:

I agree that the price is too high for the mileage. However, 90k miles is not an issue on a VFR. These engines will last 200k miles as long as the service was done regularly. This is where you draw the line between those VFR's who's owners swear do NOT need valve inspections and those who were meticulous about the maintenance or at least had the valves inspected and adjusted every 30k miles.

If you have your heart set on it, the first thing I would check for is compression and oil burning issues. Is there a lot of exhaust soot at the tail pipe? The kind that is black-ish brown? That is an indication of oil burning. Does it smell like burned rubber when it's running? No engine leaks? Clutch slave cylinder is intact? Water pump is intact and not leaking? What is the color of the oil and coolant? What is the color of the hydraulic fluids? What is the condition of the chain/sprockets (is it lubed or rusted)?

With that many miles that bike will need A LOT of work to get it right. Wheel bearings, suspension, brake/clutch lines, coolant hoses, etc.

Personally, I would look for a lower mileage example.

• Member Contributer

My first VFR had 105xxx mi. when she was totaled. I'd taken an oil sample before the crash and sent it in for evaluation anyway. The report (in my gallery) said the motor was in v good condition. The bike in general had taken a lickin' and kept on tickin'. So I believe a 90xxx mi 5th gen may have a lot of life left.

But I'm in no position to guage price in Canada.

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Price is not the issue for me, it's more the reliability aspect. In the spring summer, prices are particularly jacked as well. In the fall I could probably find a lower mileage bike in the low 3000's. I'm getting rid of my 2007 FZ6 and am looking for a VFR. Decent examples fetch over 4k still over here. It really does sound like the guy knew what he was doing with it though.

Here is a cut from an email he sent me about some of the maintenance that was done: the valves have been checked every 24000KM. I have had to adjust 5 valves during the time I have owned the bike, none of the valves were out of specs, just at or near the minimum. At 72000KM I replaced the steering head bearings with tapered bearings and replaced the clutch with a EBC fibre plates, stock Honda discs and Barnett springs. At this time I also installed a Factory Pro shift kit. The water pump was replaced at 100000km with a new pump from Honda. There are no coolant leaks and the oil level does not move from the full mark between oil changes. I changed the oil every 5-6000km unless on a trip. The longest interval was 7500km.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Price is not the issue for me, it's more the reliability aspect. In the spring summer, prices are particularly jacked as well. In the fall I could probably find a lower mileage bike in the low 3000's. I'm getting rid of my 2007 FZ6 and am looking for a VFR. Decent examples fetch over 4k still over here. It really does sound like the guy knew what he was doing with it though.

Here is a cut from an email he sent me about some of the maintenance that was done: the valves have been checked every 24000KM. I have had to adjust 5 valves during the time I have owned the bike, none of the valves were out of specs, just at or near the minimum. At 72000KM I replaced the steering head bearings with tapered bearings and replaced the clutch with a EBC fibre plates, stock Honda discs and Barnett springs. At this time I also installed a Factory Pro shift kit. The water pump was replaced at 100000km with a new pump from Honda. There are no coolant leaks and the oil level does not move from the full mark between oil changes. I changed the oil every 5-6000km unless on a trip. The longest interval was 7500km.

Does the guy seem trustworthy? Does he and the place look like a mechanic owns it?

Does anything "smell" funny? Most important to me, can you verify the work done and condition of the bike?

Maybe take to a mechanic you know if you are not qualified.

Rogue puts out some good things to look for first, regardless of your mechanical know how level. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Have you entertained the thought of buying a bike here in the U.S. and importing it into Canada? One of our forum regulars (Olive) has bought several motorcycles in the States and ridden them back to Canada after flying one-way to pick them up. I'm sure she could offer some insight if you send her a PM.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I just bought a 4th gen with 126K on it to ride while my 5th gen is apart for transmission repairs. It runs/rides damn good for a bike that's clearly been around.

The inside of my 5th gen engine with 74K looks great other than the broken countershaft 6th gear dogs. I suspect PO abuse as that appears to be the weakest point in the trans, and the bike has had occasional issues with 3rd since I bought it over 50K ago. One of the 3 dogs looks to have been bouncing around in there for a long time.

As for prices that's all completely market dependent. It's hard to find any bike that's actually safe to ride in So Cal for under $2K.

• Member Contributer

Realistically.. the engine will be fine (most likely). That doesn't mean you won't have to swap things like the stator, clutch plates/springs, rubber bits all around (fork seals, etc), etc. Just take that in mind when buying an older bike like a 5th gen, especially with higher mileage. Budget some cash into putting some love back into her. :)

• Member Contributer

seems a bit high price wise. It's ashame, there is a parts 800 here for 800 bucks usd

only because its a lost title... if he had that it would MUCH higher!!

• Member Contributer

Shameless plug ... If you are in the GTA, I'll be listing a 5th & 6th in a couple weeks (whichever goes). PM me and we can chat details. I have of course a biased opinion, but the kms are out of line if you ever end up selling it yourself.

BTW, I came from an FZ6 - nice bikes.

If all of the above is true then do what VFR4Lee suggested. Bring a flashlight and verify the things you can verify at a glance to match what the current owner is stating. Leaks are easy to find. Previous leaks that have not been cleaned up is easy to see. Just looking at those sight glass for the hydraulic fluids and chain condition is a good way to gauge maintenance habits. Blue or white smoke from the exhaust is also easy to spot. Finally the test ride.

In my part of the USA, this bike would fetch about $1k (out the door). If I were looking for a beater/daily commuter, this would be a good one if mechanical conditions are satisfactory. But agree with thtanner. Budget about $600+ for any replacement parts needed to get her right. If I bought that bike I would take the fairings off, thoroughly clean everything, check all electricals, then renew the suspension. It looks like most of the other wear items have been addressed so that's good.

• Member Contributer

I paid $2600 for 30K. I think that is the sweet spot to buy. Good condition with pipe and price adjusted for needing tires.

Definitely budget for maintenance and repairs. Even if it needs nothing right away, it's bound to sooner or later.

It's a big plus if you can work on it yourself. Mechanics labor is expensive. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

I think previous posters have covered everything mechanically.

But, what about 'dem tires? Have you gotten up close and personal with them? Would be nice to have someone who is up on tires (other than those who sell motorcycle tires) to take a good look at them. Are they holding air good? Was the bike sitting on the floor the last two years? Just sayin...." !

Whether you decide on this one or not - definitely find you a VFR. You will be happy! Keep us posted.

Archived