As many of you may have seen, we have been able to successfully reflash the 2010-13 VFR1200 (F & DCT models) with fantastic results.

We have acquired an 2006-09 VFR800 ECU and have begun the process of disassembling the code.

What We would like to know is:

Who might be interested in having their ECU reflashed to get rid of any restrictions (ignition timing, top speed limiters, rev limits, etc.)?

What, if any, issues with the 2006-09 VFR800 that we may be able to fix with an ECU reflash (for example VTEC engagement RPM, fueling, surging, of other issues in the power curve)?

With this information, we will know if it is worth it to proceed working with this ECU and market, and what items to find in the ECU.

I would also like to know if there is anyone with this motorcycle that might be interested in letting us run it on the dyno to test ECU modifications (it will be worth your while).

I believe that we are the only aftermarket company that has reverse engineered Honda's flashing protocol to be able to flash the Honda Keihin ECUs through the harness connectors WITHOUT drilling or cutting holes in the ECU.

Thanks for your time!

Don Guhl

Guhl Motors

717-618-4212

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an 03 and can't add anything sure about the 06-09 but the biggest issue to me has always been the low speed fueling. The throttle is like an on off switch even with a PCiii. The VTEC hit has never bothered me.

Glad to see your on it. I'm sure there will be interest here.

• Member Contributer

Adding a long term fuel trim may fix a lot of the fuelling issues people have had on some bikes.

Easing the transition between VTEC off and on would be much appreciated (especially during cornering). There are people here that know more than I do about the fueling problems, but I suspect that the lower end of the RPM range is most likely lean to pass smog and emmisions in states such as CA. Having an option other than the PowerCommander would be nice and worth purchasing if it were a quick easily installed. Make it happen!

• Member Contributer

Well it's been a while since I have had the "stock" setup, but I recall a "low speed stumble" and a very sharp VTEC transition. I have since installed a PCV which helped with these two issues, and to adjust for the 2Bros exhaust that was on the bike when I bought it. The bike was backfiring quite a bit until I put the PCV on. Personally I think this is one of those "build it and they will come" scenarios. I would be willing to have my ECU flashed and would offer my bike up if I was closer to your shop!

We are interested in moving forward with this project and, based on previous experience, I believe that it will add another level of refinement to this bike.

We will need someone to let us use their bike on the dyno in order to move forward.

Let us know if you have any additional input.

Thanks,

Don Guhl

• Member Contributer

I've got a PCV on my 07, but I would be interested to discover more about this option and exactly what it can provide. (Key factors would be smoothing the vtec hit as much as possible, allow the bike to run cooler if possible, refine the low speed fuelling, option for flash to match your aftermarket pipes = staintune. :-) )

I currently have a dimsport rapid bike 2 module. It offers both fuel and ignition adjustability. With that being said I can tell you that the factory ignition map is highly neutered on the 6th gen, as to alloy use of 87 octane. If you would like to look at my ignition map pm me and I will send it to you. These bikes really wake up with added ignition advance in the midrange. The base rapidbike ignition map with an added 3 degrees of ignition advance is worth 8% more power and torque in the mid range. I am running up 4 degrees of ignition advance right now.

So if you are going to offer a 6th gen reflash, I would like to see that ignition map installed, the rev limit raise 1000 rpms, the fuel cut eliminated, and possibly quick shift and a launch control feature added.

Also if you could make my vtec be of the on/off variant (but at a lower 6000 rpms) of the earlier 6th gens instead of the on at 6400 off at 6100 rpms that would be great.

As far as top speed limiter, there is none with the 6th gen.

With the low speed stumbling, if you could disable the o2 sensors that would do the trick.

I have a 03 and also would be interested. With the ecu reflash would you be able to leave the o2 sensors connected so it goes into closed loop mode for gas mileage on long trips? Also the hesitation right before vtec kicks in

• Member Contributer

...build it and they will come! I'm going to see if I can remove the PCV some time next week when I have more time to play and ride the bike a bit so I can give better info for you, but either way I think I'd be in, if you can do what you did for the VFR1200. Since there is a slight difference between the 2002-2005 and the 2006-2009 VTEC engagement and disengagement points, would that mean you would also need a 06+ sample?

• Member Contributer

The mIdrange improvement mentioned above sounds really interesting. Would it then require 92 or better octane? Also, would there be a single re-map or could users pick and choose the changes they want (rev limiter, vtec engagement, etc)?

I would also be interested.

What annoys me the most is the on/off bad throttle feeling of the bike at low rpm. It got better with the pair /flapper mod but still needs improvement

• Member Contributer

I would definitely be interested if you can do this for the 2002+ models. I think there may actually be more interest than with the 2006+ as Honda had already fixed a few issues by then.

• Member Contributer

I am interested in a 5th gen version, both early 98-99 for my track bike and the later 5.5 version for my Y2K. Does this older ECU have a "flashable" chip?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

I currently have a dimsport rapid bike 2 module. It offers both fuel and ignition adjustability. With that being said I can tell you that the factory ignition map is highly neutered on the 6th gen, as to alloy use of 87 octane. If you would like to look at my ignition map pm me and I will send it to you. These bikes really wake up with added ignition advance in the midrange. The base rapidbike ignition map with an added 3 degrees of ignition advance is worth 8% more power and torque in the mid range. I am running up 4 degrees of ignition advance right now.

So if you are going to offer a 6th gen reflash, I would like to see that ignition map installed, the rev limit raise 1000 rpms, the fuel cut eliminated, and possibly quick shift and a launch control feature added.

Also if you could make my vtec be of the on/off variant (but at a lower 6000 rpms) of the earlier 6th gens instead of the on at 6400 off at 6100 rpms that would be great.

As far as top speed limiter, there is none with the 6th gen.

With the low speed stumbling, if you could disable the o2 sensors that would do the trick.

Sounds great, have you done any Dyno time to show real numbers?

Thanks

I am very interested. I absolutely love my bike and anything to make it a little better. Main concerns are being able to keep everything stock but still fixing the low rpm throttle response. Hate my wife banging her helmet on mine at slow speeds.

Please keep in mind that we are currently only able to reflash the 2006-2009 VFR800 ECUs. The older ECUs is a whole other project and I'm not even sure they can be reflashed.

I'm still looking for someone local to Ephrata, PA 17522 with an 2006-09 VFR800 to put on the dyno.

Looking at the fuel maps, I see an area in the 2500 RPM range where they are taking away a bunch of fuel and I believe that is a possible cause for the low throttle/low rpm smoothness issue. Since it is in the low load mapping, which is controlled by manifold vacuum and engine speed, it is nearly, if not, impossible to fix with a power commander that uses throttle position and engine speed to control the fuel change. It's like trying to hit a moving target. It is something that is fairly easy to fix in the ECU.

Thanks,

Don Guhl

• Member Contributer

Don, I owned both a 2005 and 2006 before I bought my 2010 1200 and both of the previous models are quite similar, however Honda did cure some issues with the fueling in the 2006-2009 models. So if your able to flash the later, i'm sure the 2002-2005 models won't be much different. Also the ECU's should be readily available.

The earlier models don't come with an OBD connector so flashing via connector may not be possible before 2006.

I've had a 98, 03 & 07.

On the 07 I have noticed, albeit much less than the 03, surging at 3000, 4500 and 7000 rpm, all seeming to be at fixed throttle, that is to say no throttle input, closed loop, stoichometric mode or whatever. You can sense a strangling feeling just before VTEC engagement.

The VTEC transition is way smoother, and has the advantage of histeresis with 6400 rpm activation and 6100 rpm deactivation.

It could be interesting to lower these.. But one should realize that current parameters that must be existant are engine temp at 64°C & the rpms, based on which the ECU supposes there is oil pressure enough to actuate the extra values.

I would be happy with a linear power output across all rpms, with no glitches but without sacrificing fuel economy. Miracles?

Doubt you can modify fan temp operation as that is via thermoswitch.

In any case, it would be nice to have a concealed switch to revert back to OEM functioning for when I have to pass the roadworthy test (emissions), although last time through my 07 registered 0.05 and the legal limit is 0.5. Catless bikes can emit 2.5 :o

Not sure what else you could do with this ECU?

Archived