I found out that you are right lol. Its weird though, every article I read about the 6.5 gen update stated that the 2006 Vfr had the same fuel system as the 04-07 cbr1000rr. I guess maybe it's still true for just the primary fueling and not the secondary shower head fueling. If the primary works by itself at lower RPMs and then the secondary slowly phases in into the midrange with the primary phasing out by the higher RPMs and then it's just the show head injectors operating by themselves on the top end, then it could be kind of true if the 4 Vfr injectors and the 8 cbr injectors are all the same part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that case if the Vfr and cbr share the same ecu, that would be really cool, you could (with a lot of programming) theoretically run a modern 8 injector fuel system on a Vfr.

This is just another one of the many updates that Honda missed with the 8th gen Vfr

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I found out that you are right lol. Its weird though, every article I read about the 6.5 gen update stated that the 2006 Vfr had the same fuel system as the 04-07 cbr1000rr. I guess maybe it's still true for just the primary fueling and not the secondary shower head fueling. If the primary works by itself at lower RPMs and then the secondary slowly phases in into the midrange with the primary phasing out by the higher RPMs and then it's just the show head injectors operating by themselves on the top end, then it could be kind of true if the 4 Vfr injectors and the 8 cbr injectors are all the same part number.

In that case if the Vfr and cbr share the same ecu, that would be really cool, you could (with a lot of programming) theoretically run a modern 8 injector fuel system on a Vfr.

This is just another one of the many updates that Honda missed with the 8th gen Vfr

The both sets of CBR injectors and the VFR injectors are the same part number... although, the primary and secondary CBR injectors I have off an '07 have different color plastic bodies?!?

I found out about the CBR injectors by accident from a Google search of '09 VFR FI part number... turns out Suzuki TL forum riders were upgrading their single orifice injectors with multi-orifice (12?) CBR injectors for like $5 - $10 each off eBay; apparently, it is a popular mod with an available PC map to get the fueling close. They were reporting better torque and +2 mpg after the mod. I picked up my 8 spare injectors to clean & flow match them for best performance and got the spare throttle bodies in effect for free...

• Member Contributer

I know what you can do with that throttle body assembly. Check out "maxbore.com"

Hmmm... maybe in phase 3 of Franken Trackbike build...

if I can ever find the shorter con-rods to work with a stroked crank without going to custom built rods...

By the same idea of milling the cylinder heads to get a higher compression ratio, maybe you could stroke the crank just a millimeter or 2, if there is enough clearance, and get a few extra cc's with some extra compression as well. Two birds with one stone. That would add plenty of torque with out greatly affecting the rod:stroke ratio as much as shorter rods and longer stroke would.

Also along this idea, custom flat top, shorter pistons could give more clearance for this, could also be made lighter, could be made in a few mm over bore and could be designed with all of the above in mind to bring the compression ratio to a more streetable or aggressive level, depending on the cam timing, ignition timing and fuel that you would like to use.

I've always found it ironic that Honda, the huge four stroke kings, would create a v4 that mimics the powerband of a two stroke. I do like the vfr series, I have an '07 and have experienced surging at certain rpms at steady throttle. Nothing to dramatic but it is kind of amazing that other manufacturers can get it right on far more powerful, larger displacement machines. My bking is just one big smooth hiccup free beast, at walking pace or full throttle, its hiccup free. Honda can do this on their cbrs, why not the 6th gen vfr....kinda frustrating.

We will see, maybe the folks at Guhlmotors will have an improvement for the 06+ 6th gens. I am definitely interested. :fing02:

• 1 month later...

A little bump action here. Anyone heard anymore about this? I saw all the development on the 1200 and that was exciting, I don't even own one and I was excited!!!!!

I'm all for it, but I'm sold with the rapid bike. And I don't see to much need for a reflash on the 800. I do want the fuel cut eliminator. But that was never even discussed.

• 3 months later...

I'm interested! I'm pretty close by, Hbg. 07 with two brothers and 02 eliminators. I have all the usual vtech complaints. Planning on a 5th gen eng swap sometime this winter using all the 6gen components. So i'll def need some ECU work when its complete. But till then, I could be a guinea pig!

I'm interested. I have a 2010 6 gen which is bog stock and has the standard rubbish fueling. Very abrupt throttle response at low revs. Vtec transistion is not so bad but if it could be made smoother, that would be cool. I'll be watching this space.

Hope you have found a 'mule' Don!!

• Member Contributer

I'm interested! I'm pretty close by, Hbg. 07 with two brothers and 02 eliminators. I have all the usual vtech complaints. Planning on a 5th gen eng swap sometime this winter using all the 6gen components. So i'll def need some ECU work when its complete. But till then, I could be a guinea pig!

I would PM or email Don Guhl directly to see if he can take you up on your offer... this project doesn't directly affect me but I would love to see the 6.5 gen ECU hacked and programmed... opens up a whole new world of possibilities!

I would PM or email Don Guhl directly to see if he can take you up on your offer... this project doesn't directly affect me but I would love to see the 6.5 gen ECU hacked and programmed... opens up a whole new world of possibilities!

Oh I'm not offering my bike... the shipment cost from Australia to the US would negate the benefit :)

I'm just hoping he has found a bike to practice on cause I would love to have my fuelling sorted.

• Member Contributer

Oh I'm not offering my bike... the shipment cost from Australia to the US would negate the benefit :)

I'm just hoping he has found a bike to practice on cause I would love to have my fuelling sorted.

LOL... my response was to painterbob who noted he was nearby to Don Guhl and could use his bike as a Guinea Pig.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the point of the sixth gen reflash? There are no restrictions on the 6th gen ecu.... Is this just going to flash in a standard power commander fuel map?

• Member Contributer

What is the point of the sixth gen reflash? There are no restrictions on the 6th gen ecu.... Is this just going to flash in a standard power commander fuel map?

I think Don can convert and flash in a standard custom PC map if you have one for your bike but he develops a map on his Dyno that he uses as a baseline...

Right, but on the 7th gen there is a serious need for the reflash, because they're ecu has so many restrictions. The sixth gen has no restrictions though. I'm just not seeing the need. Unless people would just rather reflash then have a piggyback controller taking up space.

I am all for having more tuning options, but what is the benefit over just a regular power commander?

Right, but on the 7th gen there is a serious need for the reflash, because they're ecu has so many restrictions. The sixth gen has no restrictions though. I'm just not seeing the need. Unless people would just rather reflash then have a piggyback controller taking up space.

I am all for having more tuning options, but what is the benefit over just a regular power commander?

Firstly, I'm thinking price would be a benefit.

Also, you are altering things at a fundamental level, rather than taking those set fundamentals and "trimming" them. You can potentially do much more than you can with a Power Commander.

• Member Contributer

Right but I have yet to hear anything about what is actually going to be done.

We can take your setting and apply them the stock ECU .

I know cant use the "on the fly" stuff BUT we could use a map that find particular good and is within the stock ECU ability .

Archived