• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

So its just a power commander flash?

You can overlay a PC map, the real advantage for this bike would be the smaller rpm steps the ECU adjustment has when compared to the PC... what is theirs, every 250 rpm you can make an adjustment? Also, you could have him tweak the ignition timing. Doing these changes in the ECU gives the smoother application of the changes instead of the stair step every 250 rpm.

I thought Don was looking for a bike to get on his dyno to get a working base map to start from.

I have PM'ed Don and E-mailed them and gotten nothing back. Surprised they are so busy this time of year? I am just doing stock exhaust with BMC air filter, Flapper, Snorkel, PAIR mods. I just want my fuel map smoothed out so I don't get Parkinson's below 5k. If I can get more power by advancing the timing, I am ok with that. Which way should I go? Power commander and dyno tune or Don reflash?

• Member Contributer

I have PM'ed Don and E-mailed them and gotten nothing back. Surprised they are so busy this time of year? I am just doing stock exhaust with BMC air filter, Flapper, Snorkel, PAIR mods. I just want my fuel map smoothed out so I don't get Parkinson's below 5k. If I can get more power by advancing the timing, I am ok with that. Which way should I go? Power commander and dyno tune or Don reflash?

Well, unfortunately you are nowhere near Don so he can't use your bike to make a map... until he gets a 6th gen on his dyno a Don reflash is just a smoothed out PowerCommander map pushed into your ECU. At this time it looks like your options are limited...

Since I'm only an hour ride to Guhl's shop, I took a ride over and talked to Don about a month ago. A real nice guy!

He said since he starting this thread a while back, he hasn't seen a lot of interest in us wanting it done. He has a 6 gen ECU present that he's worked on cracking but hasnt found everything in it yet. Do to the cost of many man hours to do so, he would like to have at least ten or so people committed before it could be cost effective to go any further with reflashing. He said he would be willing to put my bike on the dyno and experiment with it once he had enough commitments to spent the time needed to finish figuring out ECU first.

• Member Contributer

Kind people, what's the cost to commit? Apologies if this has been shared prior. This still sounds like the best solution, to me. :-)

The cost to commit, in this case, is your word and standing behind it. I have found the degree of integrity on this forum to be outstanding. I think, and someone please correct me if I'm off, the costs for the 7th gen reflash was around $375 so I would think the 6th gen would be along these lines.

• Member Contributer

Kind people, what's the cost to commit? Apologies if this has been shared prior. This still sounds like the best solution, to me. :-)

The cost to commit, in this case, is your word and standing behind it. I have found the degree of integrity on this forum to be outstanding. I think, and someone please correct me if I'm off, the costs for the 7th gen reflash was around $375 so I would think the 6th gen would be along these lines.

I just hope we 6th gens guys can better understand what to expect from the reprogram .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

As many of you may have seen, we have been able to successfully reflash the 2010-13 VFR1200 (F & DCT models) with fantastic results.

We have acquired an 2006-09 VFR800 ECU and have begun the process of disassembling the code.

What We would like to know is:

Who might be interested in having their ECU reflashed to get rid of any restrictions (ignition timing, top speed limiters, rev limits, etc.)?

What, if any, issues with the 2006-09 VFR800 that we may be able to fix with an ECU reflash (for example VTEC engagement RPM, fueling, surging, of other issues in the power curve)?

With this information, we will know if it is worth it to proceed working with this ECU and market, and what items to find in the ECU.

I would also like to know if there is anyone with this motorcycle that might be interested in letting us run it on the dyno to test ECU modifications (it will be worth your while).

I believe that we are the only aftermarket company that has reverse engineered Honda's flashing protocol to be able to flash the Honda Keihin ECUs through the harness connectors WITHOUT drilling or cutting holes in the ECU.

Thanks for your time!

Don Guhl

Guhl Motors

717-618-4212

Any update on this? It is summer time now...

• Member Contributer

I am VERY late to this party, but having just moved from an '03 to a US-model '06, and being a Canadian, what I am most interested in is this: can an ECU flash remove the arbitrary restriction of my bike to using Fahrenheit?

Just like my '03, I can change between miles and km, but unlike the '03 the '06 is resolute about temperature.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

How close to Buffalo New York are you and how long would you need said bike?

Your best way to get his attention is to quote his post, this way he should receive an email that he was quoted, if he has this setup in his profile. I have to think he does not though as my quoted post went unanswered...

• 6 months later...

Someone (likely the person who is going to give them their bike) needs to get this organized, get a list started of committed people and let it rip!!!

• 10 months later...

So.... I contacted Don about doing the 6th Gens again, and he has stated that he does not need 10 buyers lined up. He needs a bike- on his dyno.  It needs to be between 2006-2009, and stock as possible (he can work around an exhaust) . It will be for one week, late march, early April time frame as right now he is busy with race season preps.

It seems as time has gone on, Don's work speaks for itself- once a few folks get his reflash, word spreads and he gets more business. Notes we talked about were:

- Ignition remapped; the reason our bikes have less than stellar throttle response is that with out computer controlled secondary butterflies (BF), timing is the only avenue Honda has to control emissions. Even if we did have secondary BF Don says he always has to reprogram those: the Kawasaki HP2's secondary BF never open 100% at full throttle at any time with stock mapping.

- Fuel Maps will likely be massaged to match changes of ignition map.

- VTECH engagement will be optimized based on the above.

- Any PC Maps you have for pipes. etc can be installed.

Once he gets the bike, he plans to explore all of the options he can change, but until then, we can only make key board commando assumptions. 

I plan to ask Don: Since the 2014 ECU has the same connectors as the 6.5 Gens, could he install the quick shifter codes for us......:comp13:

• Member Contributer

I'd like to say I would purchase such a flash.  I couldn't afford to drop off and pick up the bike for the time needed, but hoping a member could.  

Dave

Archived