My Vfr 750 Project < Lots Of Questions >

Ok so lets start off, over a year ago I picked up this bike to learn how to ride, I snagged it dirt cheap needing some work. This was a project bike probably from a member off of this site.

That's ok I am a project kind of guy, well it would of been ok if I had a clue about bikes in general haha.

So, with that being said, I rode it for some time, learned to ride and since owned a 09 r6, in turn sold that bike and still have the VFR.

The VFR sat for 5 months or so, I went outside 2 days ago and started looking the old girl over. Pulled it off the trailer I had it sitting on changed the battery put some fresh fuel in it and fired right up.

The guy I bought it from sent me a list of all the conversion & mods done on the bike, those were on a phone that got smashed at work.

I have been reading this site off and on since I picked up the bike, incredible things I've read & seen here.

SO, what I am asking from this community of excellent guys, (Inspired by Andy, as I did'nt want to just annoy him in PM's) is what do I have here, let's play guess a part. Haha, thanks to everyone who chips in I greatly appreciate it.

I'd like to know what is what on this bike.

~~Thing I need to get done ~~

The fairings ~ I was told the fairings need to be 08-11 CBR1000rr

I need to get a headlight mounted ~ Will I be custom fitting something here? Or will a 08-11 1000 light fit?

Need a guage cluster ~ After speaking with ApexAndy, believe im going to throw a Koso cluster on here

It's spitting oil ~ I'll post a picture below

Rear brake ~ After I post this im going to go look at this and see what needs to be done here. The guy told me I'd need to build a bracket for this. I havent even put together an Idea #1 I dont do wheelies so front brake is fine, 2 been in a temporary house until about 2 weeks ago, so now I have a garage to start doing things.

post-29573-0-84813600-1395356123.jpg

post-29573-0-11015200-1395356145.jpg

post-29573-0-30315900-1395356260.jpg

post-29573-0-80348900-1395356273.jpg

post-29573-0-66534100-1395356300.jpg

post-29573-0-75194200-1395356312.jpg

post-29573-0-26105500-1395356326.jpg

post-29573-0-70538800-1395356345.jpg

post-29573-0-17365000-1395356358.jpg

It's spitting oil here, I assume this just has a gasket around the case? What's it called clutch cover gasket or something?

post-29573-0-67760600-1395356591.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well yeah thats a fiberglass 1000rr rear fairing but its not oem. The swing arm is from a different bike. The gasket you need is real cheap and easy to fix. I do not suggest a Koso gauge unless its real cheap (50$ or under). You can mount any car gauge up to that bike from 2002 and up. I have an 09 600rr gauge cluster on mine and everything works perfect except speedometer is off but I just need a speedohealer.

Welcome NoobMaskim

Someone has put quite a lot of work into the bones of that bike. Forks look to be Suzuki or Kawasaki - who both use Tokico calipers. Swingarm is definitely 1997-era CBR900RR. Shock appears to be CBR929.

I'd be looking for late model CBR1000RR fairings/headlight to finish it. But first thing to do is make sure all those mods have been done safely, no offence to the builder of the bike but you are putting a lot of faith in his work every time you throw a leg over it. Hopefully he'll stick his (her?) head in the door and give you some info.

I reckon that bike could be turned into something very special indeed. Excellent start for a Frankenviffer.

• Member Contributer

In the "oil spitting" pic, is the oil in question that looks like coffee with cream? If so, that could be not positive.

What do you plan doing with the bike? If you wanted to make a SF a la Andy, then we can forgo the fairings. But having some idea of what the goal is would be helpful.

In the meantime, a good scrub down is in order. Clean bikes are easier to work on and easier to diagnose.

what bracket is needed for the rear brake? I don't see a lever or calipers.

And I'd rattle can that exhaust hanger real quick.

All real good info, what is the not good, because it's NOT GOOD as in yes that what was spitting out!

As for the guy who I bought it from, lost his info on the phone that broke with all the info on the bike!

In the "oil spitting" pic, is the oil in question that looks like coffee with cream? If so, that could be not positive.

What do you plan doing with the bike? If you wanted to make a SF a la Andy, then we can forgo the fairings. But having some idea of what the goal is would be helpful.

In the meantime, a good scrub down is in order. Clean bikes are easier to work on and easier to diagnose.

what bracket is needed for the rear brake? I don't see a lever or calipers.

And I'd rattle can that exhaust hanger real quick.

The bike sat for awhile, could water of got in the oil from where it was leaking or is this plain out blown head gasket?

Another edit, the oil is not milky on the dipstick.

As for the rear brake, not sure what will fit it he threw a box of parts with it couple levers in there a caliper & a master bled ready to go but not exactly sure what his thoughts were for the rear brake. Mosquitos got me to quit before I could get any real idea of what was going on. Next month ill have the garage so things will get better for now it's under a tarp outside.

The guy that started that project was definitely a member here, I remember reading the build thread. He moved on to a 5th gen project I think?

I'm quite certain the front end is CBR929 or 954.

well yeah thats a fiberglass 1000rr rear fairing but its not oem. The swing arm is from a different bike. The gasket you need is real cheap and easy to fix. I do not suggest a Koso gauge unless its real cheap (50$ or under). You can mount any car gauge up to that bike from 2002 and up. I have an 09 600rr gauge cluster on mine and everything works perfect except speedometer is off but I just need a speedohealer.

Why not a Koso?

And NM, that has the makings of a great bike - as long as the mods (welds, etc)have been done properly

I love that seat, too. I wanted one for my 5th gen, but couldn't find a cheap one with a subframe.

• Member Contributer

you can make a gasket with permatex.

ultagrey_zps57342fe6.jpg

the forks are honda 954.

use just about any fairing you want. if you like it it can be modded. :cool:

Seat

Why not a Koso?

And NM, that has the makings of a great bike - as long as the mods (welds, etc)have been done properly

I love that seat, too. I wanted one for my 5th gen, but couldn't find a cheap one with a subframe.

Sad to say about your seat, it's going to go some day. Only bolted on 1 side, other side is broke.

So I was digging around in this box of goodies that came with the bike, I think I figured out what was going on with it.

First off mounted on the bike is a small bracket that just has a foot pedal, has no where for a brake spring etc has 2 holes to mount the piston assembly. I see why this is currently on there

Here is a picture of a 95 VFR bracket with the brake pedal on my bike and the reason it's not made up =P

post-29573-0-75545800-1395375261.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hmm, I've seen oil like that come out the breather tubes or collect on the inside of an oil level sight glass (aka milky sight glass). If the bike sat for some time, there is the definite possibility that temperature swings caused some condensation in the crankcase. When you took the bike for a ride, the engine got warm enough to boil the offending condensation out of the crankcase. I would give the bike a good cleaning and see if the oil returns. Not sure if your breather is still connected to the airbox, but it may have burped some oil/water out onto the engine case.

• Member Contributer

Hey, you posted up a thread! Sweet.

Looks like members have already filled you in on most of what we can see in the pics. The front forks definitely look like 929/954, but brake callipers look to be from a different bike. As are front discs. Front wheel might be stock VFR? Rear wheel looks like a 929/954 wheel? I think the rear headers have been modded to fit through the swing arm. The right rearset (foot peg assembly) that is pictures on your bike on the previous page is the stock rearset without the brake master cylinder and lever. Though it looks like the swing arm might be getting in the way of those parts? I think the above rearset if from a 3rd gen.

The CBR600 or 1000 gauge swap can be done… although as mentioned the speedo will be really far off, and speedohealers aren't cheap. So that adds to the cost.

Does your oil smell like fuel? It's possible your float/ needle valve has some debris allowing gas to leak into the engine. The creamy colored oil is unnerving. Perhaps condensation?

Like others have said… there's been a lot of work done to the bike, I would definitely be digging into it more to see how well they were done. Personally before thinking about fairings or other mods I would establish the bike is safe (not to mention regular maintenance items on an old bike that's been sitting).

Good luck, and a high five for getting that machine off the trailer and starting to give it some love :beer:

Edit: Just saw the video… First thing I would do is drain the oil and see what it looks like. It looks very thin, maybe from gas mixing in. Also, a new gasket might fix your leak, but if there are any cracks or even small scratches on the engine case or the side cover it could still leak. Lapping the surfaces flat again or using gasket maker will help you here.

Those were my next steps Andy, planned on draining the oil, ill be sure to check for scratches/leaks. I honestly think the oil is from that leak and from sitting under a tarp in weather. Im in lousiana so you know it rains every other day.

Cant wait for this garage to open so I can clean the damn thing out and get this bike inside and start tearing it down :wacko: should be an experience.

Edit: Plan on draining the oil and replacing the gasket. Got a headlight, gasket, gauge cluster ordered. will toy with those things. This back brake though, maybe I should just put on a stunt lever up front.

Got a partner who lives near, mechanic type. I'll just buy him beer, haha.

• Member Contributer

Wow, spitting out pretty good. I don't know if there are any pressurized oil passages in that vicinity, but I wouldn't think that the crankcase/clutch area would be pressurized enough to blast oil out like that. I would first investigate the breather system first cuz its cheap and easy. Just make sure that it is connected and not clogged. If the crankcase is becoming pressurized it could also indicate a lot of combustion blow-by (bad ring(s)). If the breather system checks out, the next thing I would do is a compression/leak-down test. If both check out good, I'd just buy a gasket and replace it. Lucky for you, Honda dealers should still have this part: 11394-MY7-000. It was also used on the Magna 750s through 2003.

Does your oil smell like fuel? It's possible your float/ needle valve has some debris allowing gas to leak into the engine. The creamy colored oil is unnerving. Perhaps condensation?

Drained the oil and yes, it smells like fuel.

Right now im trying to figure out how to remove the tank and check the float/valve. I have forgot to turn the fuel valve off before could that be a reason? I was told the gas would end up on the ground after a bit, I walked back out and never seen gas on the ground but the valve was on, thought nothing of it.

I know the sending unit needs replaced. I do remember that.

• Member Contributer

that bracket for the rear brake I believe is off a 3rd gen vfr, not a fourth.

100% not 4th gen (1994-1997)

This is what is currently on the bike I see where the piston would mount on this but I don't see where a brake pedal would go and rotate or actuate. However.

post-29573-0-77892000-1395417095.jpg

And this is the setup that fits the whole brake setup, piston mounts, brake pedal is setup on this with a spring and everything.

But there isnt enough room for it to swing down for the brake to work.

post-29573-0-46540800-1395417144.jpg

that bracket for the rear brake I believe is off a 3rd gen vfr, not a fourth. Rear brake mount, how about a stock 900rr mount and line?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-Honda-CBR900RR-CBR-900RR-CBR900-Right-Peg-and-Rear-Brake-Assembly-Y4-5-/171150751114?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d961358a&vxp=mtr

I found this, looks reasonably close to what I need.

• Member Contributer

Yes, that is a 3rd-gen footpeg bracket. It should be interchangeable with the 4th-gen bracket--at least that's what I believed when I bought a set of 4th-gen brackets for my 3rd-gen! I have not managed to test them, however.

The problem you have is that the swing arm you've got on there is wider than the OEM one, and the way the exhaust was modified to clear it appears to have made the use of the OEM rear brake impossible. Oops.

There's no other way to say it, but the guy who routed the exhaust pipe that way was...not paying attention. :wacko:

Rear swing arm is a 900RR unit, so assuming they didn't change bits around, the '99 900RR rear brake pedal, caliper bracket and caliper you linked to above would fit--but the footpeg bracket is likely not going to fit. I recall many years ago trying to find a rearset that would fit my '93 VFR750FP and measured several of the usual CBR suspects only to find that the bolt spacing was different. But you'd need the caliper stuff anyway.

If you're not willing to get a new exhaust link pipe made, then you're going to have a very hard time fitting a conventional rear brake pedal and master cylinder. Maybe that's why the PO never did it--too hard.

Ciao,

900RR footrests are a direct bolt on for the 4th gen. I have done it myself. Direct, as in, direct. No filing or re-drilling or "it's close so just hammer that bolt in".

Also, you may be able to space the footrest away from the frame using custom spacers and longer bolts to clear the pipe? Maybe?

Archived