My Vfr 750 Project < Lots Of Questions >

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a8uhuru8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'll be taking the carbs back out today and replacing the needle valve and installing the remote petcock. Tail fairings and light should be in soon and that'll finish her up. Then sometime will tear down and get some paint

Also note. Carbs were clean but since tearing them apart last time oil is clean still

Doing some more work got the inners in today. Not everything fit flush but it is what it is for now

3yra8uze.jpgu2uzutun.jpgnevymyda.jpghugy4une.jpg

yqequju6.jpg

Pull the ignition and take it to a locksmith. Or, pull the ignition and use the code stamped on it to order new keys from a Honda dealer.

If you're set on buying a second ignition, yes, that is a 929/954 top triple. A VFR ignition will bolt up to it.

pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=281282725161 that'll be probably cheapest.

Thanks Seb

Got a guy from work who does airbrushing. Thinking flat black with blue monster energy for the tank

Well most the tail is made up now, should have the key in today. Looks a little crooked due to the bolts being loose until im ready to button everything up, rain was coming so I wrapped her back up and went back inside ;)

Edit: Eliminator kit w/ integrated blinkers in the tail light = win ;)

post-29573-0-26724600-1397495046.jpgpost-29573-0-84189000-1397495091.jpg

Bad news. Bike sat over night and today I started it up to do some checking and it started making a spinning noise. While trying to crank. In this sequence. Crank crank spin. Try again same thing. Finally got it started battery almost died once warmed up a bit checked it again no problems. So after a bit of research I believe my starter clutch is going out? Any insight is appreciated.

sounds like it is the starter clutch. relatively easy fix. Pull the clutch side engine cover and you will see a unit right in front of the crank. It'll have timing marks on it. That is your starter clutch. They are notorious for going out on these things. I have three vfrs all in need of them right now. Do a search on google for the repair sequence. There was a guy who did a good write up on the other vfr forum.

here you go

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/22135-Starter-Clutch-Repair-VFR750-With-Pictures

Also found the selling list, took some digging but I thought I had lost it. Turns out I saved it so well I lost it, if that makes sense.

Entire front end is from a 2003 CBR954RR with RC51 front wheel. Out back, the swingarm and wheel are from a 95 CBR900RR, and the shock is from a 03 CBR954RR. Bodywork and seat/subframe is 08+ CBR1000RR. Custom headers I built myself. New continental contisport tires as well as new 520 O-ring chain and sprockets. It needs: the wiring harness cleaned up and tucked away (reduced to the bare minimum would be best) a custom bracket for the rear brake side rear set to mount the rear brake master cylinder to, and if you want to ride it on the street legally, a headlight. It cranks up and runs, but is cold-natured until warmed up, it really needs re-jetted on a dyno once the rest is sorted for optimum power.

Also note, manual clutch bleeding ~~ I am probably not the first to do this but, clutch master and lever come in today. So I installed it and started bleeding the old school way but after a good 30 minutes that got old and I suspected something was wrong, as I always do when usually it isnt haha.

So when I believed something was wrong what I did was pulled the slave out filled it up with fluid, had my lines and reservoir filled already and the line sitting higher than the reservoir. Put it all together and bled it less than 2 minutes.

So next time im going to disconnect the lines poor fluid down the reservoir until it comes out rinse and repeat. Not sure if I got lucky but it sure beats the hell out of old school bleeding, and im too cheap to buy a mityvac. Really need to hit the hardware store and just make a back bleeder. But with this new found technique hell with it.

Also small video I did for a few friends who ride kind of shows what I got left to do. My paddock stands come in today, Think I should drill and tap for the rear or just all thread it? Going to get that read wheel off and cleaned up.

yes, honda still has the parts you need for the starter clutch. Best price I've seen for the most common part is from Part zilla at $115.

Nice I priced everything on bike bandit for 210

yes, honda still has the parts you need for the starter clutch. Best price I've seen for the most common part is from Part zilla at $115.

Have you ordered these parts I read they were having issues with the clutch outer being different

• Member Contributer

I'm impressed that you got the starter clutch in one! Well, FWIW, you can probably ride for a while with a cracked one. The one on my 3rd-gen only screeches occasionally.

Ciao,

Archived